Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here would just love to live out in the wilderness

Default Who here would just love to live out in the wilderness

If you had the opportunity would you enjoy living off the land, and never seeing society again? Everyday work hard to keep your shelter up and food in your stomach. Always surrounded by the fresh air, and never gasoline. What skills would you bring to the table to help you survive. Would you be willing to learn many new skills to help you survive. What type of wilderness would you like to live in? Are you open to other places?

No thanks. I'm pretty happy with the life I established for myself and my family. Time to enjoy it. Being happy with your surroundings starts with being happy about yourself. If you can't do that you won't be happy anywhere.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No thanks. I'm pretty happy with the life I established for myself and my family. Time to enjoy it. Being happy with your surroundings starts with being happy about yourself. If you can't do that you won't be happy anywhere.
    +1..........Same here

I LOVE it!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by darkcuriousity View Post
    If you had the opportunity would you enjoy living off the land, and never seeing society again? Everyday work hard?
    NOPE!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I useta could,..... retired to my plain old life, now........That's young mans sport.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I will have to say that I loved the trapline and the more remote the better.

I'd do it, if I ever became homeless thats my plan. But, I guess I'll function in normal society while I can.

I would try to enjoy living as long as I'm living. If I had to, it would be the wilderness, but seeing as I have the life I have, society is alright with me. Warts and all, It is better to be a part of the solution than completely absent.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I useta could,..... retired to my plain old life, now........That's young mans sport.
    Sounds a lot like me. I probably still could do it for a while, at least until various & sundry body parts started falling off.

As to where, since I grew up in the woods and swamps of the Deep South, that's where I'd prefer it to be.

-- Nighteyes

I,ve done it , it's tough work you pretty much work all day to feed yourself and the rest of the time finding or maintaining shelter depending on the time of year, I was able to do it for about 3 months then I had to give it a rest and I never could get one of my girl friends to do it for more than a few days at a time, other than being tired,dirty,bored and a little horny well then its just great!
    Last edited by Desert Rat!; 06-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.

You carried a horn with you? Signalling is so important. I just use a whistle, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nope, I like to have a balance and choices in my life. Was never an all or nothing person.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you had the opportunity would you enjoy living off the land, and never seeing society again? Everyday work hard to keep your shelter up and food in your stomach. Always surrounded by the fresh air, and never gasoline. What skills would you bring to the table to help you survive. Would you be willing to learn many new skills to help you survive. What type of wilderness would you like to live in? Are you open to other places?
    If you want to buy a ticket to Norway we know a guy you can hang out with!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-it-all-behind
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Why do I feel deja vu?

Well, living off the land as a hunter gather is not my long term choice. Do i forage a bit, of course, and like Danial Nighteyes says, living in the south, let me have that turf and I could make out, but the more modern stuff I have the simpler it would be.

The good old days were pretty difficult, perhaps nearly impossible without a tribe to share the load.

Just take a few minutes to look at the American Mtn. man. Somewhere I read that their life expectancy was a couple of years on average. And remember those old boys knew a lot, and took as much as they could from their modern world with them to smooth the way.

Now ask me If I would like living in a nice quite meadow in my homestead, with my tools, and such, surrounded by my family and garden and animals and drawing some pension from my stroke and able to pick up and limp out to the pond, or woods or swamp or hills and take the dog and hopefully a kid or two in tow.

Ride into town when I wanted something from it.

Have internet, and all the nice things that electricity lets me have.

That sounds like a pretty good deal, hey, wait a minute, that is what I'm working on.

But if ya'll wanna go live in the woods or where ever you want alone or with your tribe, so long as you leave me and mine alone, don't tell us how we have to live, or expect us to take care of you, well then I'm cool with it.

That's freedom for ya; ain't it?

Thad.

(Wonder if he will post again or if just another dreamer who hasn't thought things through or tried it much? I hope he comes here, and shows us he can do it. Not only would I be impressed, but I would be happy to cheer for his success. Everyone has to have their dream. The difference is not to let dream and fantasy get mixed up. To live a dream, you have to realistically analyze what it takes to make that dream work, then go for it. Really simple to say, not so easy to do sometimes.)
    Thaddius Bickerton

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    (Wonder if he will post again or if just another dreamer who hasn't thought things through or tried it much? I hope he comes here, and shows us he can do it. Not only would I be impressed, but I would be happy to cheer for his success. Everyone has to have their dream. The difference is not to let dream and fantasy get mixed up. To live a dream, you have to realistically analyze what it takes to make that dream work, then go for it. Really simple to say, not so easy to do sometimes.)
    My goal was to make it sound like I was just dreaming and speaking hypothetically, but I am not, and you seem to have taken notice to that. I have a plan that yes I have been thinking through. I won't go into detail, but I am still trying to find so more people. I'm trying to find people who want to live in the wilderness, and never see society again. I have found a few people already.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool Good luck!

My goal was to make it sound like I was just dreaming and speaking hypothetically, but I am not, and you seem to have taken notice to that. I have a plan that yes I have been thinking through. I won't go into detail, but I am still trying to find so more people. I'm trying to find people who want to live in the wilderness, and never see society again. I have found a few people already.
    I'm not going to preach to you, but sincerely wish you and all of the others you can find the best of times. If you all hate society that much then I agree that you shouldn't be a part of it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Erm... it's not that we hate society. It's just not the way we want to live.

Having spent an enormous amount of time in the Northern Woods in Michigan, and having done survival training in the Arctic, the Jungle, and the Desert, I can tell you that living 'wild' sounds a whole lot better than it is. Dying of exposure, dying of disease or injury, dying of starvation or dehydration, and the general misery that comes with trying to provide the basics of life for yourself day in and day out in all kinds of weather is not very appealing. If you want to see what it is like, you should go out to a relatively safe area like a nearby national forest and set up a rotating series of camps (you can only camp in one spot for 2 weeks legally), and see if you can make it. Soon you will find that you can't provide anywhere near enough calories to sustain yourself with all the hard work you are doing all day. I've done enough endurance camping in my life and I know that if push came to shove, I could do it again, but the desire to do so has waned considerably over the years. Even with all the edible landscaping I've done and the preps I have for preserving foods long term under primitive circumstances, I would be hard pressed to continue to feed myself and my family for that first year until I could build up enough food reserves for winter. Hunting and fishing will only get you so far, and if you get too sick or injured to go out to obtain food, you will die in very short order.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

......I won't go into detail.........
    Please do, I'd love to hear some details.

Chances are, if you survive, society will find you. On the negative side a badge finds you trespassing, poaching, etc. On a brighter note, when you get down to the begettin' business the world changes. Chief Dan said something to the effect, " I might just take to this tepee livin' ".

Share some details?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite