Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead battery?....Russian jump start.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I feel like a spoiled youth!

I worked and saved from the time I was 12 until 16. I paid cash for a one year old Datsun with only 8,000 miles on the clock. $1,200. Everything worked. It had all its gears, including reverse, a starter, a good battery and brakes. The radio and heater worked too, even the AC.

It also got 40 MPG and at $0.25 cents per gallon I could fill it up for $2.50 and drive for a week.

We passed that car around the family for 10 years. I taught both my younger brothers to drive in it. My Dad refused to let it leave family ownership and "bought it" from the youngest brother when he graduated to hot rods. Dad drove it for its last 100,000 miles and my little sister finally totaled it.

There was a Nissan product in Dad's driveway from the time I bought that ugly doodle bug in 1965 until he passed away in 2007.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Air conditioning?! In 1965? You had one of those under the dash contraptions didn't you. Where on earth did you stick the record player?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Round about 1965 we had one person in the neighborhood that had air conditioning for their car. We thought that they must be the richest people on the planet. It was called a car cooler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cooler
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't know if I could turn my 6.9 diesel over like that lol, one time my battery went dead and dad showed up in his truck with a steel cattle guard on it and nosed it up to my steel flatbed and push started me lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The first car I bought was a '52 chevy panel wagon. I paid $15 or $25 for it. I don't remember for sure. It did not have brakes or a starter. I spent everything I had on a master cylinder kit and parked the thing on a hill so I could always get it started.
    Mine was a 1953 "Plodge" -- a '53 Dodge 2-door body with a '55 Plymouth engine/transmission. My father and I bought the two vehicles from two different junkyards, then put engine and body together in our back yard. My sister's swingset paid the price of moving the Plymouth engine/transmission into the Dodge body. From that day forward there was a pronounced bend in the top tube, about 1/3 of the way across. (I still owe ya on that one, Sis...)

Five years later we (re-)built my second car, a 1957 Dodge 4-door sedan with a 325ci WedgeHead engine and a TorqueFlite transmission. But that's a different story entirely...

-- Nighteyes

As a young man right out of high school.....I scored a job working for a small city, 4 man on the whole city crew.
    Part of my job was the operation and service of the city's sewer plant...and too that end I had my own flat bead International truck, about a 5 tonner, had duel wheels in the rear.

One foggy morning i arrived at our plant, and started my job, not noticing that I had left the lights on......At about 11;00 AM, I was due back at the shop, and realized that the battery was very dead.

Pondering the situation, I desided that as the truck was on a pretty good hill, road leading down to the drying beds for the sewage, my plan was to get it rolling down that hill, pop the clutch and truck would start.

So, found a 6 ft piece of about 2' pipe, put it in one of the holes on the duel wheels, using the protruding axle as a lever point found that I could roll the truck......

As systems appeared a go, so I gave a mighty pull on the pipe, trucked started rolling, and after a couple of more, started down the hill, I ran along side, jumped in popped the clutch.....engine fired up, and I slammed the breaks, just before running into the creak at the side of the drying beds.

Put it in reverse, backed up the hill, patting my self all the way back to the top,..... to find the boss, the City Engineer, leaning up against his pick-up, shaking his head.....
    He said, "Well I will give you credit for getting it started, but IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN, YOU......"....then he broke out laughing, and we went to lunch.

Didn't do that again....wonder if I have some Russian in my past????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When I started reading that I thought it was going to end up with both you and the truck in the drying beds that probably weren't all that dry. Glad it worked out and and there was no fire involved.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The has been a element of luck and good fortune in my life.....Not everything has caught on fire.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27