Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead battery?....Russian jump start.

Default Dead battery?....Russian jump start.

So you have a dead battery....follow the Russians lead.
    How russians jumpstart a car with a dead battery video.

http://www.dump.com/russiansjump/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

that's nothing new LOL, in the older popular mechanics magazine there was a column written by a fella named Gus. Every month he would write about a challenge and a solution. He wrote about either losing the crank or a dead battery, I can't remember which. His solution was to jack the rear end up and spin a wheel to start the engine. I guess there may have been a benefit from having a couple gross of old popular mechanics magazines for reading and some long winter days LOL.

I'm wondering just how bad you can get hurt spinning 12 times around the wheel well before your buddy hits the brakes. I just know when I let go of that rope it wouldn't let go of me. I just know it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, we did a lot of pushing way back when........

And a tee shirt hanging out of a hub cap....remedy for dogs that chase cars.....LOL (that's what this reminded me off).

Put the end of an old tee shirt in the hub cap,.... let it flap as you drive real slow past your chasing car dog...he grabs it....and goes for a ride....LOL.....

We would come down the road after that, and the dog would just sit there and look at that car...."NFW am I chasing that again...!"

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gus gave the wheel a spin sorta like the old john deere tractor with the big wheel along the side of the engine. Can't remember the model.

The first car I bought was a '52 chevy panel wagon. I paid $15 or $25 for it. I don't remember for sure. It did not have brakes or a starter. I spent everything I had on a master cylinder kit and parked the thing on a hill so I could always get it started.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

'63 Dodge van without reverse.....who needed a gym membership?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man, I bet parallel parking was a bayotch.

LOL, '57 Ford, bad battery and trans only had high.....and straight pipes.
    Park at the to of the hill, and you had to plan ahead as you couldn't back up.....roll it to pop clutch and get started, quietly...

Back in the day, there was a guy that use to hang out at the street race gathering spot, in Norfolk. He drove a duster, I think it was. Anyway...he had an automatic in it, that had no park. To top it off, his parking break didn't work. No problem....he had put a better stereo in it, and kept the old radio behind the seat. When he got there, every Fri. and Sat. night, he would pull into a parking space, jump out and throw his old radio behind the left rear wheel, to keep the car from rolling back.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

My first vehicle was a international panel wagon, 1963 model and boy was it whipped except for the engine. The body was a nice dull brown primer colour.

Yeah, my panel wagon was a lot like that. If you hit the bumps just right the quarter panels would start flapping and you almost went airborne....That was a funny car but a great beer wagon. Then there was the 62 Ford Galaxy XL with the gas tank held on by bailing wire. Now that baby could getting rockin' in a heart beat. The more gas you had the more she would rock. Every time I hear the song, Just a swingin' by John Anderson I think of that old car. She was pretty easy to turn if you timed the swingin gas tank just right.

In High School I had a VW superbeetle. The floorboard was rotted on the leading edge under the pedals and on the passenger side too. If it rained, the floor pan would fill with water. To get it out, everyone lifted their feet and you jammed the breaks. Tidal wave out the front again.
    You've seen those photos of people jammed into a VW? I once had 4 people in the back seat (3 sitting and one draped across their laps) and two in the passenger seat, plus me. And I was driving. None of this sitting still crap. None of these silly rules about how many teens could be in a car back then. That little car was built like a tank. Except for the floor pans and the exhaust heat exchanger. You always knew the exchanger was rusting out when you started feeling light-headed while driving in the winter.

All of the go-carts we built back than were push to start. Mostly old lawnmower engines that had seen better days. I remember one old chain drive snowblower motor we put on a go-cart. To start it you pushed it down a hill then the guy pushing jammed the chain drive in gear by hand. Wonder we never lost fingers.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.

And one of my first sleds was a ........ coal hopper lid. Dang near ripped a thumb off when I hit a small stump mid-way down a hill. My thumb was hanging on to the hinge when I hit the stump. Trust me. Those were not the good ole days. The bestest thing about those old cars is you could store a six pack under the hood and keep it cold in the winter. Today you can't store a gnat under the hood.

Heck - you could sit in the engine compartment to work on the engine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Heck - you could sit in the engine compartment to work on the engine.
    ....And you Could work on the engine......

LOL....I used to cruise the strip, at Va Beach, in my '57 Chevy. At first, I could only go down and back one time, before it started over heating, then I figured out that there was plenty of room to stand a big bag of ice in front of the radiator. Stop at the 7-11 and get a big bag just before we hit the strip and it would run cool for half the night.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

My first car was a 73 Mustang. It had headers and that was it for exhaust. The best part was the rusty floor boards that allowed the exhaust fumes in! The gas gauge didn't work, Wipers had two speeds (On and Off), and it hat the two piece front seat belts where only the lap belt clicked, if you wanted to wear the shoulder part then it would have to be connected to the lap belt and then clicked. I had fun with the cops with that! I would put the shoulder portion out the window when I saw a cop. They would pull me over and walk up and explain I was pulled over for a seat belt violation. I would show them the lap belt and asked what they pulled me over for again. When they didn't have a second violation I would ask to speak to their supervisor which would lead to an @$$ chewin for them!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

My first car, 1965 Ford Fairlane, no battery, no starter, no mufflers. Learned how to cross over with a screw driver to start it. Paid $116. It was awesome.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!