Thread: Out of the Wild “Alaska Exsp”– Real or set up to fail?

Default Out of the Wild “Alaska Exsp”– Real or set up to fail?

The show on Planet Green show average Americans trying to hike and survive while trekking Alaska with what appears to be the worst gear on the planet. The guns for hunting are well thought out, the food they took with them appears off, the backpacks are poly tarps wrapping the gear... Appears out of touch and even the sleep systems are wrong... and they had survival training.

Has anyone else seen this show? - I check these things out just to see what they appear to be doing wrong... here i am guessing its the food and packs (Too big and Heavy)
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I haven't seen it

I have seen this show also. I agree they seem to have poor food but I think that is part of the premise of the show. I do not know if you have seen the first show where they are taken to this pile of stuff to find things for thier survival. They must root through the pile of stuff and decide what they want to take with them. The very fist season the people were in cabins or tents to survive for three months. that one was a little more realistic. The seasons since then are a little out there as far as survival is concerned. I do not think most people would consider trying to survive the way they do on this show. They are doing the survival at the end of winter when it is not as cold but the option of finding food is pretty slim. If nothing else this show cerainly shows how not to try to survive.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This show aired in 2009 and is on right now. PG 688 Vios the issue I take is the obvious opposite of UL that current gear can be strong and light and still offer comfort - I am seeing wrong sleep systems - Poly tarps duct tape - things that I would have left behind. etc etc. no dried food stuffs.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I think what frustrates me is they do some 45-60 miles and carry 60lbs packs guns - no food - and tons of heavy gear.... talk about awkward - 60 miles in two weeks? something is wrong..

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

First, these people did not get to outfiut for the expidition. They had to choose their gear from a big pile and what they were given was what they had to work with.

Yes, they chose to carry too much of the wrong stuff. That was due to inexperience, the producers choose inexperienced people for a reason. The training they had was limited to a few hours.

They were also in an area with very scarce game rescources.

They traveled when they were told to and where they were told to go. They never knew what the conditions would be at their stopping points and had no control over the situations they were placed in.

For these very reasons I would never volunteer to be on one of these coordinated disasters they call reality television. Any Cub Scout with half a brain could do better if proplerly equipped and left alone.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is Little Johnny. We've removed half of Little Johnny's brain to see if he can perform as well as those starring in Out of Alaska and Don't Ever Come Back.

Sir, Johnny is drooling again.

Well, wipe is mouth off. Point him that way and give him a shove. There you go. Okay, folks, looks like Johnny is off. We've thoroughly equipped him and we are going to leave him alone. Let's watch and see how he does.

Sir, he walked into a tree.

(groan)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick.... dose of reality huh?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I saw some of these shows a couple of years ago.....
    Inexperienced people had to pick their gear from a pile provide to them, in a situation provided to them

My thinking is it was pretty realistic in the respect that they were not allowed or even knew,..... what's the best pack, the best knife....etc etc.

Experienced people have their preferences that they would chose, but if you didn't have those, it changes the dynamic to "using whats there"...hence a 'survival situation", rather than a camping trip.

It was a TV show folks......
    I don't remember the exact people, but it think what impressed me was some people really came thru, other failed miserably....and not the people you would think.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That picking through gear thing is sorta like me at Goodwill, right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Your not kidding...

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I don't believe they were given packs. They were taught how to make "Alaska" packs, I believe, with a tarp and tape. Lugged around a dutch oven, too.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I would have lugged that dutch oven from the pile to my car. Then just drove home. That's about the only way you'd come out a winner on a show like that.

I agree with you, Rick. And man, did they whine!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien