Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Bottles?

Default Water Bottles?

I am looking for a Stainless Steel Water bottole that I can use to boil/purify water in if stuck in a survival situation as well as general backpacking trips. The only thing I have really found that intrests me is the Klean Kanteen Wide in 40oz. The reason I am leaning this direction is I want to be able to use one in my survival kit, or to hold my survival kit items to be more accurate.

The kit that I am building will be in a small backpack, but I was thinking that I can use the bottle to put stuff in to help save space, such as fire making implements, small 1st aid stuff, ect.

What would you guys suggest for this? I don't know what brands are really out there nor do I know if I can safly use these bottle to boil water in by putting them over my fire....

Kleen Kanteen has some good products. Make sure whatever you choose is single walled and not double walled. A double walled ss bottle will rupture, sometimes violently enough to be considered an explosion when put in the fire.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Kleen Kanteen has some good products. Make sure whatever you choose is single walled and not double walled. A double walled ss bottle will rupture, sometimes violently enough to be considered an explosion when put in the fire.
    Good Lord!!! I'm glad you said something! I'll have to look at it closer.

What happens is that the gas trapped between the sealed walls expands. Often it expands enough to rupture the bottle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have several ss bottles, but there is something else you may want to consider (maybe not). A canteen and cup. I have both the metal and plastic canteens along with the canteen cup that the canteen sits in nicely, with the whole thing riding in a canteen pouch. Just might be another option for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Plus this:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

both are pretty indestructible. I also have one of those regular 32oz nalgeens with a titanium pot. Combined both options weigh next to nothing, until you add water to the canteens. Oh and toss in a 2qt military canteen. When empty fill full of air and you have a pillow.

Cold night? all three filled with hot water in your sleeping set up and you stay warm.

I really love my guyot ss bottle. They are getting harder to come by now. The bottle is single walled, holds 38oz, and can be put in a fire with the lid removed. A nesting cup will fit over both ends so it won't take up any more room. I like to carry mine in a Condor H2O pouch, basically a knock-off of the maxpedition but cheaper and holds as well.

Not my pictures.
    freeze01.jpg
    10x4use1.JPG
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I like the idea of the canteen and cup execpt for the fact taht I want to be able to put things into the bottle while it is not being used or just stored in my kit. How do I find out if the Klean Canteen is single walled? It doesn't say so on the website....

Keep in mind that I am lookng for a survival type of situation not just an outing. On an outing/trip I have plenty of stuff, but this ould be a last ditch effort type of kit that I can keep in my daypack and never touch unless needed type of thing, so size matters otherwise I know that I will never carry the darn kit. LOL

I'm guessing they are single walled. It says they are dishwasher safe and their insulated bottle states that it is double walled. Shoot them an email. They will tell you.

Just remember that rascal is going to be HOT! coming out of the fire. You may have to wait for it too cool down if you want to take off. That might be a problem if you are on a hike and have just finished breakfast. An empty bottle will cool down pretty quickly but one with liquid will take a while. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by jplacquay View Post
    I like the idea of the canteen and cup execpt for the fact taht I want to be able to put things into the bottle while it is not being used or just stored in my kit. How do I find out if the Klean Canteen is single walled? It doesn't say so on the website....
    For me.........having water is an important issue. Take a look at the picture that RangerXanatos posted. With a set-up like that you can have water and still have plenty of room for a kit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I really like my H2O pouch. I have the Guyot, cups, teabags, and snare wire all in the insulated part of the pouch where the bottle goes. The front pouch I have two altoid tins with PSK and small FAK, emergency blanket, and a another PSK in a plastic bottle. On the side, I have a compass pouch that I placed an esbit stove in. I have braided a shoulder sling from 550 cord to carry it by. It has molle webbing so you can attach more pouches to it if you'd like.

With an empty Guyot bottle, outside pouch, and the ability to add molle pouches, I don't think you'd be too limited as to what you could add or remove. Also, the Guyot is a wide mouth bottle that accepts accessories by Nalgene and some water filters, and the bottom is wider than the Klean Kanteen so it's more stable when laying in coals of a fire.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

1st, I'd NEVER place my water bottle in the fire, even if it could handle it. Sudden temperature extremes could warp the steel, causing the lid to not seat right ever again! Also high heat can eventually burn through the steel as well. Remember, in the land of Murphy there is but one law!

2nd, you've just limited yourself to only being able to cook & consume only one item at a time! Do you want coffee or supper? With a 32 oz. hard plastic Nalgene bottle you have graduations on the side that give you your liquid measurement. With the steel cup that fits over the end of the water bottle you have graduations for your dry measurement. You can heat the measured amount of water in your pot for your freeze-dried meal while measuring out your water for your coffee, tea, etc.. When the water for din-din is done you can add the water to your freeze-dried meal pouch and start your drink water going, allowing your food to absorb the moisture and even cool a bit!

I have the large Maxpedition water bottle carrier and, like Ranger, can store a lot of extra supplies in it. Just my "duos centavos."
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Minimal, I always carry a canteen cup, stove, and canteen. That's day trippin', or up to roughly three days. Longer than that, and some kind of pot comes into play and I still carry the cup, stove, and canteen.

For back pack cooking on an extended basis, I prefer a billy can. A Zebra to be explicit. Bush cooking, they are the bees knees.

Linky

For convenience, I prefer a full blown pot with a folding handle. But, I only carry that on the motorcycle. I have the following set, and only carry the large pot.

Linky

If you do consider buying either of the last two, shop. I only offer the links for reference. In all three scenarios, either water or pantry items are stored in them in separate containers/bags.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm guessing they are single walled. It says they are dishwasher safe and their insulated bottle states that it is double walled. Shoot them an email. They will tell you.

Just remember that rascal is going to be HOT! coming out of the fire. You may have to wait for it too cool down if you want to take off. That might be a problem if you are on a hike and have just finished breakfast. An empty bottle will cool down pretty quickly but one with liquid will take a while. Just a thought.
    Dave Canterbury had a good tip on how to take a guyot bottle out of the fire. He took a twig and tied a piece of bank line in the center. The he can just drop the twig in and it will toggle into place to pull the bottle out of the fire. Doesn't take up hardly any space in your kit and gets the job done in a simple fashion.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

That is a pretty good trick. Thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1st, I'd NEVER place my water bottle in the fire, even if it could handle it. Sudden temperature extremes could warp the steel, causing the lid to not seat right ever again! Also high heat can eventually burn through the steel as well. Remember, in the land of Murphy there is but one law!

2nd, you've just limited yourself to only being able to cook & consume only one item at a time! Do you want coffee or supper? With a 32 oz. hard plastic Nalgene bottle you have graduations on the side that give you your liquid measurement. With the steel cup that fits over the end of the water bottle you have graduations for your dry measurement. You can heat the measured amount of water in your pot for your freeze-dried meal while measuring out your water for your coffee, tea, etc.. When the water for din-din is done you can add the water to your freeze-dried meal pouch and start your drink water going, allowing your food to absorb the moisture and even cool a bit!

I have the large Maxpedition water bottle carrier and, like Ranger, can store a lot of extra supplies in it. Just my "duos centavos."

I am looking at this bottle as a "last ditch" type of thing in a survival situation, not for general camping use. And be careful saying "NEVER" if you needed to boil water to purify it and that is all you had, then I'm willing to bet you would do what you neeeded to do to get the job done. Now with that being said I didn't mean I would put the bottle IN the fire, it would most likly be on the side of the fire to boil, not in the center.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by jplacquay View Post
    And be careful saying "NEVER" if you needed to boil water to purify it and that is all you had, then I'm willing to bet you would do what you neeeded to do to get the job done.
    True, but that's not what we're talking about here. You're talking about a "prep," not something you came up with in in a survival situation. I could just as easily do the same thing that you're talking about with a large tin can. And why would you separate camping gear from survival gear in the 1st place? I truly don't understand this. What works good in one situation will just as easily work in the other. My camping gear IS my survival gear as well. I don't have to whittle down gear, just keep what I have.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I really love my guyot ss bottle. They are getting harder to come by now. The bottle is single walled, holds 38oz, and can be put in a fire with the lid removed. A nesting cup will fit over both ends so it won't take up any more room. I like to carry mine in a Condor H2O pouch, basically a knock-off of the maxpedition but cheaper and holds as well.

Not my pictures.
    freeze01.jpg
    10x4use1.JPG
    That's pretty slick. I use surplus canteens with cups that are super cheap and a billy can, But man, if I wasn't so cheap I'd like that setup immensely.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Minimal, I always carry a canteen cup, stove, and canteen. That's day trippin', or up to roughly three days. Longer than that, and some kind of pot comes into play and I still carry the cup, stove, and canteen.

For back pack cooking on an extended basis, I prefer a billy can. A Zebra to be explicit. Bush cooking, they are the bees knees.

Linky

For convenience, I prefer a full blown pot with a folding handle. But, I only carry that on the motorcycle. I have the following set, and only carry the large pot.

Linky

If you do consider buying either of the last two, shop. I only offer the links for reference. In all three scenarios, either water or pantry items are stored in them in separate containers/bags.
    Wow, more slick gear. I feel silly with my converted sugar can. I think the next $100 bucks I drop on gear will be cookware related.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.