Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living in the middle of no where

Am I just nuts or did we get off topic a little here................wait

You don't really want me to answer that do you? 'Cause you know I will. I will.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm sure we could. He seems to have a solid grasp of staying alive under very adverse conditions.
    Solid grasp indeed-- breaking into people's homes.
    He is just a thug, nothing more.

The question was, Could we learn something from him about survival BEYOND breaking and entering. The guy has been on the lose for several years staying one step ahead of John Q. Law. He doesn't spend all his time in someone else's home. So, yeah, I give him his dues on his ability to survive. I don't think he should be emulated or given a pat on the back but he does seem to know how to stay alive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well being chased by cops for a long time, and being isolated from society would definately tend to turn a person to a more animalistic behavior, and that would in turn affect your moral judgement to some degree. I am not condoning his thieving actions, but he probably really dont care what we think of him, and why would he.
    There are not many people that cant do what he is doing and I respect that to some degree. It is too bad he couldn't find a way to survive without breaking into peoples homes because that is just motivating the authorities to catch him. So what he is doing is keeping the heat on himself instead of just staying below the radar.
    He should move on to another wilderness and keep his nose clean and they would probably never catch him. As long as he goes close to society and breaks into homes, the more the odds are stacked against him with getting caught.
    But I'll give him credit for being one wiley SOB!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-19-2012 at 05:55 AM.

His habitual breaking and entetring allowed him to survive this long even at the risk of keeeping him in the spotlight of LE.
    He might not have shacked up in people's homes long enough to lead a cushy life but he certainly had a seemingly endless supply of whatever he needed when he needed it. SD and AS can do better than that.

I bet he has spent a lot of time in the woods too! Maybe we should nominate him for the Boots in the field award

Or maybe not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He left society, and doesn't follow societies rules any more.
    I can't condone his illegal activities.
    I can't condem his activities either.
    He is living in the field.
    Even law enforcement have compared him to Davey Crocket.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

You kinda quit living in the field when your shopping at the grocery/oops I mean someones house. I can camp out behind your house and live pretty well for quite some time. As long as you keep buying groceries

a lot of the "greats" did the same, guys like eric rudolf and bill moreland. I'm not sure about Mcandless, can't remember reading that he did stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt;341634[B
    ]a lot of the "greats" did the same, guys like eric rudolf and bill moreland[/B]. I'm not sure about Mcandless, can't remember reading that he did stuff like that.
    It's a sad commentary when we start admiring "greats" like that. Just because they chose to live in the wilderness while ripping people off doesn't make them any better than the petty criminals who survive in the cities doing the same thing.
    Robin Hoods they aint.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think Randy was being facetious, since all the people mentioned were famous woodsmen who specialized in petty theft to stay alive. Rudolf being caught while dumpster diving and Morehead and this present dufus being obvious mental cases.

The chances are that our present fool would not be on the radar if he were a bit cleaner. The main concern seems to be the connection between the mess he makes of the places he visits and mental health issues, rather than the small amount of food and a rifle and some ammo he has taken. It was the same with Moreland.

When I was working the corrections system we could generally make the same connections. Smearing fecies on the walls and living in purposeful squalor is a pretty clear indication that your brain is not wired properly. It was usually our most dangerous customers that engaged in these acts.

It was people like this for which the term "outlaw" was coined. They live outside the norms and accepted behavior of society and make such a nuscience of themselves that the law refuses to protect them. Like any home invader, their presence is prima-facia evidence of intent to do harm. They become fair game to anyone who can stop them.

Now to answer the question of the caliber of the weapon, they only made it in three sizes: 35 Remington mag, .308 and .243. I would be a happy camper to find one in the local pawn shops in any of those denominations.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Now to answer the question of the caliber of the weapon, they only made it in three sizes: 35 Remington mag, .308 and .243. I would be a happy camper to find one in the local pawn shops in any of those denominations.
    That's not correct, that's a Remington Model 600, the ribbed barrel kinda gives it away and the fancy curved bolt.
    I have (or should say had) one in .35 Remington, supposedly only 6000 made of the total 94000 + all calibers.

Other calibers include, .222 rem, .223 rem, 6mm rem, 6.5 rem mag, .243 win, 308 win, .35 rem, .350 rem mag...all short cartridges.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_600

It should be noted that for anyone that has one a "fix at no charge" factory recall on the trigger group, is still in effect, had the up date done to mine, before that tragic accident.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yup, I was being facetious, I see nothing to be admired from these type of people. McCandless is a little different than moreland and rudolf.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am sure you are correct Hunter. Senility strikes again. I could only remember the three I listed and was too lazy to do a google search.

Lots of folks do not realize that Jeff Cooper developed the concept of the "scout rifles" around the Rem 600. One could not steal a better "survival rifle", especially in the 6mm and up calibers.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-01-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I gotta tell ya, the .35 rem is a brutal round, out to 100 yds, barrel length is only 18" inches, as as it's a bolt gun you are not limited to round nose bullets.

And yeah, was a trappers, or scout model......shorter that a Handi rifle.

Most .35 rem are in a lever gun configuration.
    This was one the the better things I recieved from my MIL, it was her gun.

PS I only heard about another Model 600 in La in .35 rem, guy wanted big bucks for it.......so I know of only two.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-01-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added a PS
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi buddy. I'm looking for the same thing. I'm ready to go at any point.

Anybody out there looking for people to live in the wilderness with? I'm ready

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Edwards View Post
    Anybody out there looking for people to live in the wilderness with? I'm ready
    Good luck with that.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin