Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plenty of Practice: Cowboy Action Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Yup, thought as much. The Muskogee (our name for them) are a fine and proud people.

Though most people don't know it, the "big" Civil War brought about another, and rather bloody, civil war in the Indian Nations (modern-day Oklahoma). This is what cost Daniel his entire family, and this is why he broke completely away from the Choctaw Nation at war's-end. His actual name was Daniel Ferguson (his father was a Scotsman who emigrated to the New World half-a-step ahead of the hangman). Daniel was given the name "Nighteyes" by the Second Cherokee Artillery during the War, and adopted it as his alias when he severed his ties with the Choctaw.

But that's more than any of you wanted to know...

-- Nighteyes
    You won't find much on Daniel, other than what I've written. He is purely a fictional character. With that said, though, you might enjoy looking up and reading about the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy and the role played by the Five Civilized Tribes. A good place to start might be with Stand Watie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie

I took you back a little further, The attack on Fort Mimms and the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. It happened in AL, I am curious about the timing of the civil war you speak of, another Grandfather took his family and ran off into the swamps when the census bureau came knocking. I do know enough to know it was nothing like the movies...in the 1800's white men were marrying indian princesses for the chieftans land. Traders as they were.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I took you back a little further, The attack on Fort Mimms and the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. It happened in AL
    I grew up along the central Gulf Coast (ages 13 to 42), primarily in Mobile County Alabama, and have several friends among the Poarch Band of Creeks. Also, a high school classmate and long-term friend of mine participates in the Fort Mimms Massacre reinactment every year.

Though he's as Irish as Paddy's Pig, he always depicts a Muskogee warrior and does a fine job of it. [No insult intended here, folks. I'm one-quarter Scots-Irish myself.]

I am curious about the timing of the civil war you speak of...
    [Just to be sure, I refer to the Indian Nations that made up present-day Oklahoma, not those who remained behind during and after The Removal, 1831 - 1847.]

It was in 1861 through 1865, just like the "big" one that took place east of the Mississippi River. The Nations' loyalties were deeply divided. Most favored the Confederacy ("the enemy of my enemy is my friend") while others were Unionists. As a result there were a number of raids and skirmishes within the Nations, both within and between the Tribes.

On a grander scheme the Battle of the Glorieta Pass, which took place just east of Las Vegas New Mexico in 1862, has been called "The Gettysburg of the West" by some historians. It was fought between organized units of the Union and the Confederacy, both sides deploying both white and Indian soldiers. It may well have been the inspiration for the Civil War battle depicted in the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks, I will read up on this. My immediate grandfather was from either Monroe or Mobile County. I will have to read up on that too. I am on the role in Atmore. I have only been there once, but plan to visit again.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 04-08-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

That's weird, that video of my roommate and I was a facebook video. I could re-upload it in youtube format, but only with DN's permission, cause I would have to upload it on my youtube account. But only those with the link would be able to see it.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks, I will read up on this. My immediate grandfather was from either Monroe or Mobile County. I will have to read up on that too. I am on the role in Atmore. I have only been there once, but plan to visit again.
    Generally speaking the Mobile River Delta, and the Tombigbee River in particular, was the dividing line between traditional Choctaw and Muskogee lands. With that said, Monroe County is more likely.

As you may know the Poarch Band of Creeks is in, around, and to the northeast of, Atmore. Sounds like you're part of the Poarch Band. That is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Quite a few of the guys on my pistol team also do CAS. I've watched a few times but don't have the money to get the gear. Or the guns. Steel plate games are also fun. Not just the knock em down plates. Some of these spin or bounce or are weighted to drop behind cover. I've done a few with a .45 but need to start reloading to do any more. Those kinds of games make reloading a necessity.

Many CAS clubs will loan you some guns and gear just to see if you really like it. Heck, at my clubs they'll practically line up to help!

Heh-heh-heh! Not all of our steel plates are motionless. Perhaps the "most dreaded" is the so-called Texas Star, composed of five pretty small steel plates arranged as a five-pointed star, each on the end of about a 3-foot "spoke." The whole thing is suspended on an axle (with ball bearings) in the center. The steel plates fall off of the contraption when hit which, of course, changes the balance and gets the whole thing to moving. If you know how to shoot it, and get some practice, it can be done. But woe unto the shooter who tries to shoot the plates in the "wrong" order!

We also have wig-wags, pop-ups, clay pigeons, and things that jump up to obscure the target if you don't hit it quickly enough.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.

daniel i really enjoy cas myself till a shoulder injury and money whoas took me out of the game, still play around myself and skunkhouse shaner stills a threat hahahaha nice smooth shooting also in the video

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    daniel i really enjoy cas myself till a shoulder injury and money whoas took me out of the game...
    If the shoulder injury affects your pistol work, do what I did. I wear my pistolas butt-forward and do the so-called "Cavalry Twist", or "Plainsman" draw. Takes a bit of practice, but it is much easier on the shoulders and just as fast as the "regular" draw. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to do a flashy, but fast and totally legal, reholstering move. There are fewer than 70 SASS shooters who do this -- I created a special group, called SOBAD (Society Of Bass-Ackward Duelists), just for us. 'Tis way cool to say "I'm SOBAD!!!"

Be prepared, though, because the officials are gonna watch you like a bunch of hawks until they're convinced you can draw and reholster both pistols without breaking the 170.

Y'all, my photography efforts have been stymied by -- GASP! -- rain in Southern California. As soon as things dry out a bit, I'll be posting pics of my CAS "arsenal".
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Looking forward to it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If the shoulder injury affects your pistol work, do what I did. I wear my pistolas butt-forward and do the so-called "Cavalry Twist", or "Plainsman" draw. Takes a bit of practice, but it is much easier on the shoulders and just as fast as the "regular" draw. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to do a flashy, but fast and totally legal, reholstering move. There are fewer than 70 SASS shooters who do this -- I created a special group, called SOBAD (Society Of Bass-Ackward Duelists), just for us. 'Tis way cool to say "I'm SOBAD!!!"

Be prepared, though, because the officials are gonna watch you like a bunch of hawks until they're convinced you can draw and reholster both pistols without breaking the 170.

Y'all, my photography efforts have been stymied by -- GASP! -- rain in Southern California. As soon as things dry out a bit, I'll be posting pics of my CAS "arsenal".

thats great man, ill leather up and try that, its not the pistol draw as much as rifle and shotgunning on the shoulder. i had a tree limb fall on it once while cutting firewood, and separated it real bad, the 2yrs later had to repair the rotator cuff on the same shoulder, torn while unloading horse feed, now old uncle art rititis has come to live , man hes getting to be a royal pain, . thanks for the info !!!

And now, of course, they're forecasting rain all through the weekend. I had a business meeting yesterday and, to get to the location, had to drive thru a real "frog-strangling rain" -- windshield wipers on HIGH couldn't keep the windshield clear, and the water couldn't drain off the freeway as fast as it was coming down. I mean, I grew up on the Gulf Coast where heavy rain is normal. THIS rain both got my attention and earned my respect!!!

Just minutes ago there was a lightning-strike on the street just behind Casa Nighteyes -- blinding flash of pink-yellow light and an instantaneous, deafening, roar of thunder. It nearly knocked me out of my chair.

Understand, please, that thunderstorms are exceedingly rare in Southern California. My picture-taking activities are likely to be significantly delayed.

I'm sure this goes without saying - stay safe - we can wait for the pictures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm sure this goes without saying - stay safe - we can wait for the pictures.
    Thank you, my friend. Rest assured that my head, as-pirations, and other parts of my anatomy are thoroughly tucked into my hole-in-the-ground. The only things standing in the way are my shirt-buttons (so to speak)...

I grew up along the central Gulf Coast, where thunderstorms are a common occurrence. THIS one has my attention and respect. Am also impressed with my internet connection, 'cause it hasn't missed a lick in the midst of all these shenannigans...

-- Nighteyes