Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "PINK" Chipmunk, a light food getter

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "PINK" Chipmunk, a light food getter

I also picked up a Chipmunk with a pink plastic stock. The stock is hollow and I plan to remove one butt plate screw and put basic survival stuff inside.

Chipmunk Rifle Specifications
    CHIPMUNK .22 LR SPECIFICATIONS:

Caliber: Will shoot .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle standard or high velocity

Action: Manually cocking single-shot bolt action with a forged steel and machined low scope bolt handle.

Trigger Pull: 2 1/2 lbs. (approx.)

Safety: Rebounding firing pin automatically blocked to prevent accidental discharge.

Length Of Pull: 12 inches.

Sights: Standard with Iron Sights

Barrel Length: 16 1/8 inches.

Barrel Diameter: 3/4" - 1/2"

Finish: Blued barrel and receiver OR stainless barrel and receiver

Length: 30 1/2 inches overall

Weight: 2 1/2 lbs.(approx.)

I bought one for my boy a few years back, not with a pink stock though. Nice little gun but his rifle seems to foul up quickly and the extractor doesn't extract. Also when loading the cartridge has to be started in the chamber. Compared to my remington 510, the 510 has a block that the cartridge is laid on and it slides into the chamber when the bolt is pushed forward. Also I've not had fouling cause a issue on the 510. Nice handy little gun though.

I'm glad this thread has started! I have a four year old daughter and a son that will be two this summer. I have been wanting to get their first boomstick, but not sure what direction to go. I hope this thread takes root!

Sourdough, you are going to lose your man card packin that pink rifle around! Please tell me that you are going to paint the stock

Aren't the Chipmonks a take down type rifle?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

http://chipmunkrifles.com/index.htm

Not a "takedown" in the list that I see.

I have no experience with the Chipmunk. Good concept though and the company has not beenb around for some time.

When my kids were small we had to resort to cutting down cheap .22 SS rifles we scarfed up at pawn shops.

I think I paid $10 for the Stevens I cut down for my son.

It served him well until he hit around 11-12 and got a growth spurt. He came out with his rifle one day and it looked like a toy in his hands. He was a bit perplexed and asked how a gun could shrink!

That was the day I lost possession of my .22/20ga Savage 24.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Sourdough, you are going to lose your man card packin that pink rifle around! Please tell me that you are going to paint the stock

No.......Infact many of my firearms are painted florescent orange. Most of my "Bear Insurance" long guns are painted white & orange.

NATERTOT, I wanted a very, very light .22LR with a longer sight radius than a handgun for harvesting food for the pot (Note: That I have to have a Bear'Gun in hand when hiking).

I think that a 5 or 6 y/o could shoulder this firearm easy.

I was thinking that y'all were talking about the "Crickett .22, then I saw that both are on the web site and it appears that Keystone is the company, made in USA.
    Seems the Chipmunk just has a full size stock?
    I guess I hadn't paid any attention....

Anyway I was checking the bottom of the forearm in the pic's, as my old Stevens SS had a thumbscrew that would take down the gun by separating the stock and barrel.....makeing into a 'take down" before anyone really thought about it.

This looks a lot like the old Stevens including the hammer pull on the back of the bolt.....If so will be a real inexpensive tool that will last a long time.

As far as "Pink" goes, a "man" doesn't give a rats behing what color it is, or who cares........
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-10-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I was thinking that y'all were talking about the "Crickett .22, then I saw that both are on the web site and it appears that Keystone is the company, made in USA.
    Seems the Chipmunk just has a full size stock?
    I guess I hadn't paid any attention....

As far as "Pink" goes, a "man" does give a rats behing what color it is, or who cares........

The one I bought is in-fact a "Crickett". They had about 12 different color models at the store, the pink was the best choice for my application. Outdoorsmen in Alaska loose a lot of firearms in the wilderness, and bright colors help the odds of finding them.

I have a friend that started his kid with a Crickett, they seemed to be really good guns

We were actually think about using these as a 'table guns, at the DU dinner' one gun per table per table of ten, pass out playing cards $5 bucks each, high card wins.....

I was acrually looking at these myself, juat because they are cool, and I do have a grandson....2-1/2 now (he's already has a SS 10/22....LOL and the Daisy)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just ordered a "Pink" Crickett in .22 Magnum. Also figured out I can use a spare "Wheel" type bolt from a H&R Survivor on ther crickett for take down. I need to shorten it .281" (Have hacksaw will hack).

It would be pretty BA if you painted it in hunter orange camo, would be visible if you set it down.... and it wouldn't be pink lol....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

My eldest daughter learned to shoot when she was 3 with one. I always wanted to make one into a hiking stick.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I'm afraid if anything ever happens to you in the bush the SAR team is going to arrive and rush those firearms to the closest paint shop. Then come back for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

lot of good ideas sourdough , thanks

Lot's of good info!

Rick, I do see your point. And yes, it is a valid one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm afraid if anything ever happens to you in the bush the SAR team is going to arrive and rush those firearms to the closest paint shop. Then come back for you.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Insinuating that SD's pink chipmunk isn't manly.
    I've heard that lots of guys get those....down at Broke Back Pawn and Gun.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I was just thinking of how the obituary would read. Found dead with pink gun. Seriously, would you want that on your headstone?

Here lies Gus.
    He never made a fuss
    but his gun was pink
    If you know what I mean (wink)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thombstone in Thombstone.......

Here lies Lester Moore
    Shot 4 times with a .44.
    No Les, No Moore....

Sorry just popped into my head.