Thread: Buying Surge

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Buying Surge

Couple of weeks back I traded something off and decided to replace it for the upcomming season. I made the decision last week and this week was payday so I placed my order on Monday.

I called, they put me on hold. They never put me on hold! Inform me by auto-robot that I am 50-something in line. I am never 50-something in line, I call, they take my order and that is that. I am on a first name basis with these people!

I hang up, call back, I am now 60-something in line! I hold for 1/2 hour.

I get a clerk and she is a newbie. I have to talk her through the order process. She is very paniced and frustrated. Explains she was drug to the phones from the sales floor due to overwhelming call volume. More calls by 11am Monday than the rest of July combined!

I get processed and start the wait. "The wait" is normally a 24 hour time lapse where they pull inventory at the warehouse and transport it to the retail store, send me an e-mail and I go pick up the product.

48 hour pass and no word. After 4 days I call. They are running shipping department nonstop and still have not gotten to my level of the pile!

It's Friday, and I am still waiting!

Good thing I did not wait until Tuesday to call, hunting season starts in November.

Stand back folks, fear and panic at work!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Good thing you got a head start of about, oh...50 years?
    I thought getting a new Apple product was bad enough.

Maybe. Maybe not. What item were you looking for? What changes has the company instituted in the order flow? There are a lot of things that could have driven that. Maybe half their folks are on vacation. Maybe they knew it was you and just wanted to mess wif ya.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I was ordering a plain-Jane bolt action centerfire in common caliber. It is listed as in stock, available in the warehouse.

I had not even considered a problem when I decided to order.

It is a buying volume problem not a product issue or bad vacation scheduling Rick, and it is happening nationwide. Almost every state in the Union is reporting record sales for the past week. The public is anticipating a political "knee-jerk".

This has happened before, and besides slow response due to volume....pricing has gone for dealing to full price....ammo pricing up, and availablilty down.
    Yup, knee jeck....too bad, things were just starting to slow done at show and local toy stores.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was intending to lay in another spam can of 7.62x54 this month but I anticipate that being a lost effort too. I should have done it a month ago and put it off.

Banned
    Blog Entries

And people say to me, "You silly wabbit "STUFF" will always be available, Why Cache "STUFF".........? Because there are times it is hard to trade money for stuff, for what ever reason. Guess I need to get my Rock River Arms order in.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.

9mm and .380 ammo has disapeared from the local Wallmart.

Shades of 2008-2009 once again.

Better dig deep Sourdough!

Do people really beleive that Obama is going to just stop the sales of all guns and ammo? It would take years to do that, wouldn't it?

Let's not delve into politics. People react and create artificial shortages for a lot of reasons.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Reloading stuff and ammo is going fast at the local Bimart store. A couple of friends work the gun show circuit, and they said last weekend and today (Friday) were very busy. In Oregon you have to do a background check at gunshows, and the state police phone line was backed up and most were on hold for way over an hour. Even the online check system was swamped. Tomorrow will probably be even worse.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Politics aside,

people are expressing their opinions with their pocketbooks, buying what they can while the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Do people really beleive that Obama is going to just stop the sales of all guns and ammo? It would take years to do that, wouldn't it?
    No he cant do that he needs Congress to do stuff like that, he couldn't just sign an Executive Order to do it, Right?

There has been one request to leave politics out of this thread. This is the second request.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think it's kind of funny that people would start spending all of that money because they think stuff will get harder to get! I have stocked up on the guns and ammo I think I really need, and am not buying more because something might happen that would make it hard to get. I bet the prices have shot up too just because of all the orders.

Supply and demand....

Am I the only one that mistook that title to say ... Buying Sarge?

With a whisper in the ear from Bear he could be had cheaply.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That buying up crap started months ago here in MA. The gun owners here are little more sensitive to uh...trends.
    Just going on what some of my buddies have been saying regarding availability of certain things. I just say 'whatever'.