Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Repeating Arms Survival Kit

Default Henry Repeating Arms Survival Kit

http://www.henryrepeating.com/st-survival-kit.cfm

Stumbled accross this looking over the Henry site.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I may be a bit critical, but isn't $99.95 a bit pricey? It does look nice though
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I think you can make a survival kit much cheaper than that and more durable as well, but it doesnt look to bad!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

The box should be brushed stainless so you can cook in it.
    I know what hunts you.

yep , good look Sarky!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Lol! I figured ya'll would have fun reviewing the kit.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I thinks you could put together a few homemade kits for that price. The container looks nice but you could also do that with a old ammo can from a surplus store... I like the contents in the kit but if you shopped around I thinks you could put one together for half that price.

I like the concept but not the execution. In fact, I like the concept a lot. I think those kits are put together for Henry by Adventure Survival. That's a guess but they build a kit a lot like that using that box. That box is pretty bad. Why would you choose a container not recommended for cooking in? That makes no sense.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Most of those items are cheap as hell to get elsewhere. I don't really see the point of paying them that amount of money for what they're offering. It's much easier to just get things and build your own that can be fitted to your style than something pre-canned.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    The box should be brushed stainless so you can cook in it.
    I really like the container, and yes, it should be something you can cook with.

Wire saw.
    Toy knife.

Replace those with a swiss army.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

What would you use the container for?

I don't have a problem with a commercial survival kit IF they put quality items in it and IF it covers the basics of water, shelter, fire, etc. There are some quality items in the kit that's posted but there are also a lot of cheesy cheap stuff. I don't think it's about how much you can stuff in a container. I think it's about putting together a few quality items that can really be used. Doug Ritter's Pocket Survival Pack is an example of a good kit. Would I change/add/delete things in it. Probably. But every kit should be personalized to the skills of the person using it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The container's for cooking and water Rick. Well, it would/should be..
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Any 'survival kit' aint worth a damn if you haven't got it on you when you 'need it' !!

and thats the 'problem' with most of these kits..........they're too big, and people leave them behind.

I get by with the old Boy Scout ethos..........

a pocket knife, a length of string and a box of matches..............

(well truth be told that been kinda 'updated'..........

but I ALWAYS carry a knife of some description, usually a multi-tool, but ocassionaly just a small GOOD one or two blade pocketknife, and a gas lighter.

ALWAYS have a decent sized belt knife in the fourby (along with a full complement of tools) usually a rifle of some description, and basic food and water.

However, with just the knife and matches/lighter, I can at a pinch provide warmth and shelter as those items are ALWAYS in my pocket.
    "use enough gun......"

Sorry, Winter. I meant that particular box. Agree on the woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I have been looking for a suitable smallish cooking pot w/lid that would make a good survival kit container. The canteen cup w/lid is what I have come up with so far, any other ideas?

Yes. Look at the Trangia Mess Tin. I am picking one up in the next week or two for that very reason. It looks small enough to be unobtrusive but large enough to carry some items. It's aluminum so you can use it to cook in or boil water if you need to. I'm going for the one with the handle but you might choose any of them that suits your fancy.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2931.complements.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yes. Look at the Trangia Mess Tin. I am picking one up in the next week or two for that very reason. It looks small enough to be unobtrusive but large enough to carry some items. It's aluminum so you can use it to cook in or boil water if you need to. I'm going for the one with the handle but you might choose any of them that suits your fancy.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2931.complements.html
    Do you have an online distributor...I'd like to know what it costs. Does seem a better fit than a canteen cup.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I can put one together with a lot better materials and for a lot less with an old steel Army surplus .50 Cal. ammo box. Try batoning with that Derma-Safe knife; it ain't gonna happen!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

CS - They are really inexpensive. $7-12 is about right for them based on the wholesale price. Watch which size you are getting and if you want the one with the handle make sure you chose the right one.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/tr...mess-tins.html

Anyone know what the silica gel is useful for?