Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDIOTIC gun stuph..........

Default IDIOTIC gun stuph..........

Me & KYratshooter mentioned some stuff that bugs us we see at the range behind the scenes in PM. It gave me the idea for this thread:

All of us shooters have heard some incredible Bull Hockey from/around other shooters at one time or another.

I have heard enough hockey among shooters to sink an aircraft carrier, but the one I'm gonna share below is takes the cake for what I have heard.
    ================================================== ======================================

I used to sell guns:
    A farmer (REALLY LOOKED THE PART) came in hopping mad about coyotes killing his cattle/calves.

He said to me "I want the most accurate- furthest shooting rifle you got on that rack." {It was at a big box sporting good store with typical hunt'n rifles on the rack.]

I responded "well sir, the most accurate rifle I have is our high-end Weatherby mark V- they come with a proof target. As far as long range I'd suggest 7mmRM as the 7mm's are high BC bullets."

"Lemme see it."

I pulled the rifle off the rack and went and found the box and presented him with the proof target.

He replied "I'll take it."

I having been inundated with demands to create "add on sales" said "nice choice sir. Now let me show you some quality scopes that would be worthy of such a rifle."

He was obviously taken aback by my comment and it was blatantly obvious I had horribly offended him. ??????????

He set his jaw, narrowed his eyes and said emphatically "If that feller at the factory can shoot that good without a scope I CAN TOO!"

He bought the rifle and left. It was drilled and tapped for scope mounts, had no iron sights on it.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I hear ya, great story.
    My Weatherby Vangard (low end) came with a proof target but was made in Japan...the signature was in Japanese as well...But the holes don't lie
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My montra in my long range classes is:
    "The bullet never lies"
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

That's just plain awesome Tres...

You know what they say, "never let reality interfere with your expectations."

My favorite line is....."Bore sighting?...What do you mean, bore sighting...?"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The bullets lieing is not the problem, it is the goofballs shooting them.

Would you believe a 5 shot group with all holes touching at 100 yards. !!!And 15 fliers!!!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Would you believe 10 shots at a rack of 6" metal plate targets at 15 yards with NO hits? All four adults in that group took a turn with that 9mm and only one got a single hit. 40 shots and 1 hit.

There are some people, I just see them, I leave.

Though I think it's fun to shoot trap with a pump action shotgun. Horrifies the purists. LOL. But they still let me play so that's saying something I guess.

Yep- Fly fishers and trap shooters can be the high society type. I have mingled in their ranks a lot, though i'm but a poor commoner. What can they say if you give them a stiff run for their monies??
    Thanks,
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Would you believe 10 shots at a rack of 6" metal plate targets at 15 yards with NO hits? All four adults in that group took a turn with that 9mm and only one got a single hit. 40 shots and 1 hit.
    Sadly, I can believe that... easily. I know way too many people for whom shooting is an excercise in making nothing but noise. Hits are not even part of the equation.

My younger brother would be one of those people. He'll load up his AK, his .40 S&W, or his 10-22 and run through magazine after magazine as fast as he can pull the trigger. No hits on anything but dirt - and even that is over a remarkably wide pattern.

Hmm, I'm apprehensive about my shooting story then. I went 5/5 at a trap range at scout camp the first time I fired a shotgun. I really wasn't sure what happened. I shot, hit, reloaded, and repeated. Then the guy working there and supervising the shooters told me I hit them all. I had no idea. Technically, I did better at that than I did on the .22s. Went 4/5 the following summer. 9/10 in my career and its all dumb luck.

I would love to go shooting sometime, never fired a hand gun.

There are some people, I just see them, I leave.

Though I think it's fun to shoot trap with a pump action shotgun. Horrifies the purists. LOL. But they still let me play so that's saying something I guess.
    Were those guys, by any chance, Cincinnati Police officers?

The LE in the area just north of me are notorious for throwing 30-50 shots at a suspect and hitting nothing but innocent cars in the parking lot. The gansters seem able to hit 3 out of 3 with a Highpoint or Larson.

Majority of the folk shooting trap at our field are shooting pumps and simiautos. Only discrimination I see is toward the Maverick and Partner pumps and other low end guns. You run into that everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The LE in the area just north of me are notorious for throwing 30-50 shots at a suspect and hitting nothing but innocent cars in the parking lot. The gansters seem able to hit 3 out of 3 with a Highpoint or Larson.
    I work side by side with the LE you refer too. I could tell you some stories, but then you'd think I'm full of the brown stuff. My favorite one is the stolen car that was given to the theif, along with the owners purse! Anywhooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I work side by side with the LE you refer too. I could tell you some stories, but then you'd think I'm full of the brown stuff. My favorite one is the stolen car that was given to the theif, along with the owners purse! Anywhooooo.
    Oh no! That's so bad, but I had to LOL. I got a cop bud. Been on the force for 15 years. Now he's a big time shooter- he goes on all the time about how bad cops shoot.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Once many years ago I was out one sunday afternoon shooting at the local quarry. It was not much but it was all we had for a range. About 200 yards wide and almost as deep, the water in the bottom was filled with floating car tires. The most popular plinking sport was puting big bore pistol rounds inside the tire diameter and watching the water splash. smaller diameter tires got you more rep than the big tires.

A teacher I worked with and I were plopping cast lead .45acp rounds inside the 12-15 inch circles with a regularity that would have seemed boring to completely sane people when a couple of uniformed patrol officers stopped by to watch, not shoot. After 5 minutes of watching they asked us what police department we worked for?

"No department! We teach at the local University" my friend replied.

!!!SOAB, I'm glad you arn't crooks!!! Was the only comment we heard as they returned to their car.

We used to love having cops show up at our IPSC matches back in the '80s. We never had one return for a second match, except for Rick Castilo, who was an IRS field investigator. He made #2 world champion one year. We had three people at the club that could beat him any day it wasn't raining. Of course we did not shoot when it was raining.

Ha, been there. Had a buddy that was on the US shooting team and he took me out to the bunker one day. I showed up with an 870 and they almost laughed me out of the club house. Held my own just fine.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

If you really want to set'em off, show up with a open hammer SXS muzzle-loader, and start dumping stuff down the bore....and watch them choke on the smoke....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If you really want to set'em off, show up with a open hammer SXS muzzle-loader, and start dumping stuff down the bore....and watch them choke on the smoke....
    They do that over at Friendship for the national BP shoots. Reloading is so slow it takes about half a day to shoot one round.

Most of these guys have OU Brownings or Bernellis. The pump I have is a Browning so that is probably why they let me play.

During some course or other I took, the instructor was talking about Glocks. Police officers here in MA can buy them but the lowly commoner can't. Anyway, the instructor is showing us a field strip on a Glock and after he checks the chamber, pulls the trigger required to open up the gun. Turns to a LEO in the class and asks him how many holes are in the squad room floor. The guy turned red and said "a few too many". Scary.
    Still I wouldn't trade jobs with a police officer even on a good day. Pretty thankless job sometimes.

Oh yeah. For sure. While cops in general "can't shoot" I don't dog them. I have utmost appreciation for them and what they do. I was my cop buds room mate for a few years. I saw him come home with the bruises, bloody nose, scrapes, bruises and burn out. I also saw the pay check he came home with. I salute cops.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I think, as a society, we have our priorities grossly misplaced. Those we rely on most we pay the least. Military, first responders and teachers are terribly underpaid for what we ask them to do. And then there are lawyers and politicians (shaking head). I wonder how much you'd be willing to pay a police officer if a bad guy were breaking in your home or an EMT if you were having a heart attack?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.