Thread: Reloading for shotgun w/black powder and brass casings

Default Reloading for shotgun w/black powder and brass casings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzqA...feature=relmfu

I ran across this three part series on you tube and thought I would share it. He seems to make sense and it is frankly something I had not thought about (using black powder for reloading for a modern shotgun). Seems an economic low tech alternative or addition to preps.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Well, my thanks for posting this. I had never seen the brass shells before. Here's a vid from Midway USA that gives a quick demo on loading as well as some tools used. While this is for 10 gauge I'm sure other gauges are available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqcId8ZnCQ

And on cleaning them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqcId8ZnCQ
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My pleasure . I have been doing some more reading and it seems to be one of those "duuuhh" moments. The only real "glitch" (and not that much of a biggy for a foraging shotgun) is it seems onl really practical for "break open" shotguns. Makes it almost dummy proof for those of us that do not do reloading normally
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I watched Dave C do this in his youtube series, I don't agree with everything he did to that shotgun, but I thought the brass shells were kind of cool.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Dave C did a cut down shot shell, which frankly I don't agree with, he was trying to be cool, but as you saw on the Midway vid, there is no reason to cut down the shell as Dave showed.

Plastic shell can be loaded the same a brass, you just meed to know the proper load as you would with any re-loading.

I pour and re-load 12 gauge slugs, but use the old style Lee Loader (bop a mole) only because it has the sizer, primer installer tool as well as the final crimper.
    No reason you can't re-load with standard tools.

Bottom line is you still need primers, powder and shot......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Dave C did a cut down shot shell, which frankly I don't agree with, he was trying to be cool, but as you saw on the Midway vid, there is no reason to cut down the shell as Dave showed.

Plastic shell can be loaded the same a brass, you just meed to know the proper load as you would with any re-loading.

I pour and re-load 12 gauge slugs, but use the old style Lee Loader (bop a mole) only because it has the sizer, primer installer tool as well as the final crimper.
    No reason you can't re-load with standard tools.

Bottom line is you still need primers, powder and shot......
    Ya, I agree. I don't know why he cut down the plastic shell... But he also did the brass shell and plastic shells without cutting them down.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have reloaded many BP shotgun shells over the years, in about every guage available.

The plastic shells will not hold up to more than one reload with black powder. It burns through the plastic hulls. It works that first time but do not count on dozens of reloads from each shell case. That is why they use the brass cases for BP, and buddy boy they are expensive!

One good thing about the BP in shot shells is that you can not get enough BP in the case to blow the gun up. New primer, scoop of powder, wad of paper and dipper of shot on top, press it down with about 80 pounds preasure, close the crimp and you are done. Do not leave any air space with BP, it likes to be compressed.

Keeping BP as a prep has its merit. It is universal, you can load anything with black you can load with smokeless and never blow the gun up. You may not get full power and you might really clog up an AR/AK, but any real gun will still go boom repeatedly. It will also ignite even with weak primers and you can blow stumps out of the ground with it, no detonator needed, or you can use it as the detonator for larger charges of whatever you have.

Except for the smoke you would not notice any difference in a 30-30 and any of the large capacity revolver cases work well with BP and most large capacity rifle cases.

Many well respected cartridges we still use started as BP rounds: .303 Brit, .45 lc, .44 spl, .38spl,
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't know why fool with black powder. Make up some dippers for smokeless and go that route, cleaner too. I have a few boxes of all brass 12 gauge that take a small pistol primer along with wads. I've been going to load up a few for old times sakes. I think it was well over 35 years ago when my dad taught me how to load a shotgun shell with home made tools. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread about this and Kyrat gave a run down on the process.

Coupel of things to think about......
    Black powder is getting hard to come by...considered an "explosive), rather that a propellant.
    True... Black powder can be 'made" as will be brought up,... but isn't fool proof and still need components that aren't available just anywhere.

Modern shotgun powder and a lot of pistol powders are the same....

So I have to ask, in a have to load your own situation, and starting with nothing.....What would you want to stock?...Black powder or pistol/shotgun powder?

Answer of course,.... is both,.... but add a flintlock muzzle-loader for when you run out of primers......
    Still good to know, good vids....always helps to have options.

That what I tell the wife "got to have options" LOL

It is best to be very cautious when speaking with your wife and using the expression "got to have options", especially if they are the suspicious type and have no sense of humor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I didn't say anything about the spice of life. I talking guns and ammo, rototillers and tractors, knives and axes, tools and more tools and more tools. LOL, that kind of stuff, I'm not crazy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    I'm not crazy.
    Uh.....no. I'll let it go. Well, maybe....no, I'll let it go.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, are you having a conversation with yourself again? yea, yea, I know that's the only way you can have a intelligent conversation. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I didn't say anything about the spice of life. I talking guns and ammo, rototillers and tractors, knives and axes, tools and more tools and more tools. LOL, that kind of stuff, I'm not crazy. LOL
    Forgot trailers, boats, trucks........But yeah...options, just don't keep them all in the same place....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The point is having the knowledge!

Knowledge gives you the "options" more than trying to have some of everything in a dozen different places.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Forgot trailers, boats, trucks........But yeah...options, just don't keep them all in the same place....

Ya, ya, for me it's yamaha rhino, yamaha kodiak, chainsaws, sawmills , planers, generators etc.