Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Annual WSF Jamboree

OK, If I've read correctly so far, the Jamboree is scheduled for Oct. 19,20,21 at Cumberland Gap Nat'l park. Correct?

If so, Equus and I may be able to attend as well. Key words are "May be". Only my work schedule would stand in the way, but may be able to make it.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    OK, If I've read correctly so far, the Jamboree is scheduled for Oct. 19,20,21 at Cumberland Gap Nat'l park. Correct?

If so, Equus and I may be able to attend as well. Key words are "May be". Only my work schedule would stand in the way, but may be able to make it.
    So far that is the plan. I'm going to call on July 2nd to reserve a group site. Not sure if we want more than one - I'll keep everybody posted.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I contacted the park today to make reservations. They will not accept them outside the 90 day window, so I will call back on the 19th.

I did find out some info on the group sites though. Their website is incorrect when it says that group sites accommodate up to 30 people. The max for all but 3 of the sites is 12. The max for regular sites is 8, but you cannot make reservations for regular sites. Two sites will accommodate 18 and on site will hold 30+. The 30+ site is a little further from the "facilities". I will try and get the 30+ site on the 19th unless we want to get the two medium sites that are closer to the rest rooms. Let me know what preferences you all have.

I asked about drought conditions, and they have been getting hit hard, just as some other areas have. She wasn't sure what impact it would have on the normally spectacular fall colors since some trees were losing their leaves now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Well, I'll turn up at the designated time, date and place. The details I'll leave to you good people.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I'd love to make it to a jamboree finally.... If I can make it I will, but I doubt it.... We really should think about doing one of these a little further north sometime!!! .. ;-) .. Jus' sayin'..

New England is beautiful in the fall you know!!! ;-)
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    We really should think about doing one of these a little further north sometime!!! .. ;-) .. Jus' sayin'..

New England is beautiful in the fall you know!!! ;-)
    I'll second that!
    I'd really like to be able to drive to it...too much $hit to schlep on the plane.

Lets all go to Ken's house. He claims to be a great cook.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

an Up north trip would be great
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

The longest drive to a Jamboree for me was about 19 hours. I think this one is about 10 or 11 hours. Winnie will definitely be the new mileage champ after this one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Our van is a piece of crap, so if greyhound isnt to expensive, we could prolly make it. or if anyone in Minnesota is going, wed gladly pitch in gas.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Blog Entries

Cool Sorry....

Too far for me and too much $$$$ involved. I just got back from a visit to my son and family down in Oklahoma recently and have to watch my money, especially since I'm out of work over the summer. It takes several months after I'm back to catch up financially. I'm really sorry that I'll miss seeing Winnie, life sucks sometimes.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Winnie will get to hit three states in 10 minutes at Cumberland Gap!

We will have to do the park museum tour, go up on the point and look out over the mountains and run down to the old town and see the bare rock face that the origional trail passed as you went through the "gap". The highway runs through a tunnel under the origional road. There is a good trip over to Wilderness Road State Historic Park in VA, about 10 miles from the Gap. They have a living history program in full force. I have done reenactments there a few times. It is a fantastic site.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'd love to go back that way, but that's way too far out of my budget.

Blog Entries

I'm really looking forward to putting faces to names and mooching around.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

DH and I are trying to work it into our schedule. Will have a more definite answer in a week or two.

Awesome. Hope you can make it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'm really looking forward to putting faces to names and mooching around.
    I was not told that there would be Smooching.

Blog Entries

Why don't you fly down and find out for yourself?

We have a reservation!

Arrival at campsite - Friday, October 19th
    Departure from campsite - Sunday October 21

Here's a link to the campground http://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisi...Campground.pdf

The map on this link does not show site numbers, which is just as well since the map is no longer accurate according to those I spoke with. Our reservation is for Site(s) F15 and F17 which is the old O8. We can have up to 30 on this site. They would like to have an approximate head count, so I told them 20 and will update that if necessary. I'll keep tally in another post as people commit to coming. This site (old O8, new F15 and 17) is the only one that accommodates this many. Sites O2 and O5 each can hold 18, while the rest can take only 12.

Here are some addresses I was given for those using GPS to find their way.
    Visitor Center
    91 Barlett Park Rd
    Middlesboro, KY 40965

The campgrounds are actually in Virginia. The person I spoke with said there was no address for the campgrounds, but somebody that camped there used the following.....
    8506 Old Wilderness Rd
    Ewing, VA

Plugging that into Google Earth brings up the entrance to the campgrounds. Also on that view, our site will be fairly close to the road - hopefully it is not a well traveled road at night.

There is only parking for two vehicles at the site, but there is a parking lot very close to it (don't remember if he said 50 ft or 50 yards)

Currently there is no burn ban, but there was a few weeks ago. I asked about firewood - don't bring it in from out of state, or even out of county. Lee County is where they would like you to get it. There are several places, one being about a mile from the visitor center.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We'll keep track of whose coming in this post as well as cooking commitments for the Saturday evening meal (if we decide to do that again).

Who's coming

Crash
    Winnie
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel