Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Annual WSF Jamboree

Where we stayed last year - Maple Springs Campground - which is about 6 miles from the park (didn't seem that far) we stayed at a group site. Poco and Equus brought their dog. Some of the sites were designated equestrian sites. So dogs were not a problem where we stayed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If I'm able to: drive, walk without crutches, and get time off from work, I'm in! With only one good arm (for the moment) I may need help setting up and breaking camp. Anyone up for giving a helping hand to a half-blind, old, cripple? I can play a pretty hot blues harmonica, and I can tell some pretty good campfire jokes! I also make pretty good bannock, and I can sharpen your knife for you...wicked shaving sharp!
    Last edited by tjwilhelm; 05-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Absolutely TJ - we'll take care things. All you've got to do is enjoy yourself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Location is not a problem for me, the timing could be. That's always an issue though. I would love to attend.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Take a look at Cumberland Gap National Park Crash. All the facilities one would want (including showers) and several great spots inside the park to visit: museum/overlooks/trails. It is at the junction of KY/VA/TN

Picket State Park and Indian Mountain are also nice. They are also close to I-75 with easy access.

I am sure there are several good spots along the TN/NC area or even up into WVA.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Cumberland and Picket are within 8 hours and a bit over a tank of gass. Definitely a possibility for me. Timing never seems to go my way.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I think I may be able to make it. I have one question though. How my of you bring you wives? Or wil any ladies be attending? the reason I ask is my wife would like to go with me but will need someone to talk to. Because she loves to talk!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

My wife has been to two out of three. Not sure if she'll be coming this year or not. Poco (Mel) and Equus (Dottie) bring their two boys. The first year they were still in diapers. Not sure if they'll make it this year or not. All are welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I keep checking here for the date and locations. I'm still interested, but have concerns about how the kiddos would do. The KY area is possible, just depends on timing.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm gonna put it on my "List of thing I wanna do this year"........Will be watching.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do any of those places and times coincide with archery or gun deer season? That might be fun.

You know, that's a good question. We might want to find out 'cause the antler hats might be a problem.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Watchyou talkin bout Willis?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by redneckidokie View Post
    Do any of those places and times coincide with archery or gun deer season? That might be fun.
    Yeah, and permit prices, at least for fishing......Of course a "Boom".. does a body good every so often.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have some new gear I need to test out and was displeased I missed last year's shindig. I am going to make this one even if I have to pull a wagon myself.

Potluck dinner(s) again?

What we did last year that worked rather well was to plan a menu and everybody brought a part of it. This way we didn't have 30 pounds of food left over. Looking forward to seeing you there this year.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cumberland Gap National Park looks great, but they do not accept reservations - first come, first serve. IMO a location with group sites is desirable (but obviously not necessary). Thoughts?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Cumberland Gap National Park looks great, but they do not accept reservations - first come, first serve. IMO a location with group sites is desirable (but obviously not necessary). Thoughts?
    I have tons of family near Cumberland Gap and if we decide there I can have a huge breakfast cooked for us one day. Also, there's an offroad park for any ATV about 30-45 minutes away. It's quite awesome. I also have access to shooting range about 30 minutes away.

There's more to do around Cumberland Gap than people think.

The problem I see with that location is not things to do, but rather not being able to make reservations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    http://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisit/camping.htm crash this link says they have group sites and take res. Up to 3months in advance.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"