Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Annual WSF Jamboree

Default Fourth Annual WSF Jamboree

I know it's early, but thought some early planning might allow more people to make arrangements to attend. I'll just throw out a date and general location - these are merely suggestions. I was thinking the third weekend in October and since I am mountain deprived would opt for someplace in the mountains - maybe Tennessee? Anyway - for those that have been to one, you know that they are a lot of fun. For those that have not been to one, feel free to ask away. The bigger the bunch the better.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would like to attend but don't know about money

When is it? I usually, not last yr, go to a Paratrooper Gathering and I have tagged on Survival forum camps and shoots to a few of them.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

No firm date yet, although I did suggest a date and general location in the OP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

These things are just a hoot. I've been lucky enough to attend 2 out of the 3 previous ones and would have been at the 3rd but for some medical stuff. Late October in Tennessee should give us some cool nights and warm days to work with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So what goes on at these gatherings? If Rick will leave his hong at home, I would consider going!

I didn't know there were mountains in Tennessee. I guess if your state's highest elevation is 400 ft, then almost any state has mountains.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Here's a link to one. There are tons of pictures.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ndy-Creek-Trip

A mountain in Florida is called an overpass in most other places.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am in. Just get the date and place firm. East TN is fine with me. Be careful planning in that area though, some of the state parks have been allowed to go on the skids and have turned into Hobo Jungles, or perhaps I was just there when a survival forum was having an outting.

We might even consider Amicalola State Park in North GA. Bueatiful park with great facilities when I was there 10 years ago.

That is the jumpoff point for the Appalation Trail at Springer Mountain. It is a fantastic site with all the mountains one could desire. It also contains sections of a U.S. Army mountain training camp, known and respected by one and all who have experienced it as as "Delonica". It has been the mountain training section of Ranger School for decades.

We could kill two birds with one stone. Everyone attending could claim hiking time on the AT and all the military BS experts could claim they had been to Delonica.

We got to see one of the 7 natural wonders of the world/ World Heritage Sites last year, perhaps a famous hikeing and military site would be good for this year.

http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls/

Cherokee NF is a bit closer to you Crash.
    http://wiki.ask.com/Cherokee_National_Forest

Pisga is a bit farther north.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...70551271874892

I have no preference myself, other than the desire that you set the camp for next Feburary and have it in Orlando. Piuck a spot and if there is air in the tires and gas is still obtainable I will be there.

For those that have never been to a gathering the company might be questionalbe but the food is fantastic! You also get to put faces and voices to the screen names and that is often a shock.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm interested, but only time will tell. My wife and kids have never been camping and I need to break them into sone of the basic stuff this year.......If time permits.

There is a good chance I will be a Pennsylvanian (again) by then, I might actually get to go to one!!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We might even consider Amicalola State Park in North GA. Bueatiful park with great facilities when I was there 10 years ago.

That is the jumpoff point for the Appalation Trail at Springer Mountain. It is a fantastic site with all the mountains one could desire. It also contains sections of a U.S. Army mountain training camp, known and respected by one and all who have experienced it as as "Delonica". It has been the mountain training section of Ranger School for decades.

We could kill two birds with one stone. Everyone attending could claim hiking time on the AT and all the military BS experts could claim they had been to Delonica.

We got to see one of the 7 natural wonders of the world/ World Heritage Sites last year, perhaps a famous hikeing and military site would be good for this year.

http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls/
    I haven't been to Amicalola State Park yet, but it's on my list to do so.

I started this thread last year which we went by the Ranger training school outside of Dahlonega. We passed over the Appalachian Trail and were a couple of miles in National Forest and set up camp which should still be there and I doubt anyone other than us who made it have been there since. I doubt everyone would want to stay there as it is a hike in and you wouldn't want to be bringing dutch ovens and etc like you usually do. But if you're in the area, you may want to stop by just to say you've been there.

If you all decide in around North Georgia, I'll try to be there.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Thought I'd bump this up. Any more thoughts on location? I wouldn't mind another visit to Bandy Creek - the fall colors during our last trip there left a memorable impression.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Count me in, it was a real let down not being able to make last years' meet-up. The two previous years were great!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Depending on the when/ where hopefully I can make this years.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I'll do a little more research on campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains. Quite a few don't take reservations, and some that do are very popular (like Cades Cove) and book up early.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Any more thoughts on this?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Still think about Oct.?
    Lots of hunting seasons open.......I sure would like to drag my lodge down for the party.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was hoping for the third weekend in October. That's about when we have done the last two, and the fall colors in the mountains have been great. For all of the beautiful scenery here, fall colors and mountains (if you don't count over passes on the interstate) are sort of lacking. I'm still looking, but wouldn't mind Bandy Creek again. If we were to do the Mammoth Cave area again, Poco, Equus and the boys might be able to at least drop by since they live close by. He's got the new job, and she's still recovering from the horseback riding accident. I'll give them a call this weekend to see how they are doing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thats pretty country around there.......
    Most of the parks allow dogs?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27