Thread: The elusive Morel mushroom?

learning to survive

Default The elusive Morel mushroom?

I was just wondering if any one hunts or has found any Morals this season? Also what kind of recipes do you like to prepare? We have two different kinds of them here in Illinois, The little grey moral, and the larger yellow. I personally Like to fry them in a skillet with an egg and flour batter. I made wild spaghetti with them. We had deer meat in the mix. Oh way to good. -ibosserman
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

I love hunting them and I love eating them! We just fry ares up, nothing fancy, some fried crappy, shrooms, and fries make a great meal! We have two kinds as well, white morels and preachers d.... (I'm not going to finish that sentence lol)
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I haven't been out yet hunting them. When I've been in the woods I haven't seen any. Soak them in salt water, dredge in flour and egg and fry in butter. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess we just had a storm go through my home town, if it warms up they will probably be popping up, but I don't feel like it's quite warm enough right now...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Generally we start finding them in mid to late April in SW WI......Have found some turkey hunting, my season starts around Apreil 20th....
    But this year has been a month early on a lot of stuff.....so we will see.

Fried in butter, with steak and spuds......Hummmmmm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I just found a huge stash of them yesterday in KS. Going back out today. Some were about 10-12 inches tall and the head is the size of a tennis ball!! Me and my friend have well over 100 in just 2 days!! We do an egg wash then coat in a seasoned flour with salt pepper garlic and such, then fry in butter and.....a bit of white wine! Oh they are so damn good!!

They have been u here since the tornado came through,way over a month earlier than normal,the ghosts,or greys are the bestest ones,but I ain't turning either one of them away!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have only run across immoral mushrooms this year. *rimshot*

In all seriousness, I haven't been up to the mountains yet as it's still early and it's been snowing again up there. The only morels we get down here are infrequent in newly landscaped areas. As always; I'm looking forward to getting out mushroom hunting. It's unfortunate that I no longer live in a particularly good area for it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

went out once didn't find any yet

learning to survive

Yeah I have not found any yet. My cousin found a bunch of greys last week. That seems to be the best way to cook them flour, egg, and butter. I have also heard of drying them for later use in soups and stews. I guess the flavor really comes out when re hydrated. The big ones are still on there way. still to early here too.
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.