Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damper ?

Default Damper ?

If you get flour, water, and a pinch of salt. You get what we call in Australia Damper. Anyway if thats all you ate, how long do you think, you could live and function on it? Cheers Peter

We call that paste.....LOL
    So is this like a trick question?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Gday Hunter no it's not a trick Question. I don't know how long you could live on it. I just wanted to find out, if you can live on it, and for how long {$1 a kg it's cheap food if it will keep you alive}. Cheers Peter

Seems you are asking about what we call "hard tack'.....
    http://kenanderson.net/hardtack/recipes.html

I'm sure it would keep you alive, for a while, but you will need to add meat, fruit, and veggies for more complete meals long term.
    Just eating that....don't know.

Banned

You would feel the impacts of being malnourished within a week.

That's a good link Hunter. Thinking about doing a 4 to 5 week walk, want to take flour, salt, a little meat{just in case}, & pick greens & mussels on the way. I don't want to carry more than 15 kg all up. Cheers Peter

You'll lose some weight. Good luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You'll lose some weight. Good luck.
    LOL thats the plan Rick. I don't want to set out to fail, but if i start to die in the arse, i can walk out in 3 days or so. Just didn't want to go in 'with no chance of making it due to lack of nutrition. Cheers Peter

You need to figure out what your calorie requirements are for those 4-5 weeks. I have no idea what geography or weather you will be walking in. Your damper will provide you with 278 calories if the link is correct. You'll burn more than that just standing up. According to U.S. federal guidelines, men ages 19 to 30 need between 2,400 and 3,000 calories per day, depending on their physical activity level. If all you are taking is damper and some meat and expect to fulfill the rest of your dietary requirements off the land then your 4-5 week walk might turn into a 1 week walk pretty quickly. Do some math to figure out what you will burn and what you need to take with you. At this point you are just guessing.

http://world-food-and-wine.com/recip...mper-australia

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Peter you really aren't much on details, .......They always help.... didn't mention cooking it, location or use/goal.
    What other indigenous resources are available to you in your area?

Banned

Like I said, you will be a hurting unit eating that in just a week. If your plan is surviving off of that, with very little else, you are in for a world of trouble.

Thanks guys i should of put more details in. What i had wanted to find out, was how little or how much foraging i would have to do, if i took flour & salt with me{1/2 kg of jerky}. That way i could have got a better idea on how long it would have taken me, to do the walk {takes time to forage}. I will be near a river that has fresh water mussels in it, and fish {fishing can take to long, so that will be a last resort. Mussels 10 minutes you got a meal}. Not going to hunt or trap or anything like that. Along the way are some good plants to eat, that you guys don,t have in America. But they do take time to find, chop up and eat. I am sorry for the way i word things, or don't word them. I am a lot better in the bush than on a computer. I will try and add more details to my future posts. Thanks again everyone Cheers Peter

On a side note I love potatoes if i can spare the weight. Very hard to wreck a potatoe in a pack, and sit it on the coals to cook {super easy food}. If i am doing short trips, i will never go without a few potatoes. Might sneak a few in my bag, for this trip {as a treat to go with the jerky}.

Better yet, find some dehydrated potatoes or make your own. Dehydrated food weighs very little and can be re hydrating while you are out looking for other edibles. It generally takes between 40 and 60 minutes to rehydrate food so you can be working on camp or other things.

That is one of the things, i want to look into Rick. I am going to have abit of a play around at home, and see if i can work out how to do it. I will come back from this walk, and need to go on a diet LOL. Cheers Peter.

You might want to look into ramen noodles. If you can handle the MSG it's a cheap source of protein and some varieties have the dehydrated veggies in the mix and is light to carry and takes little space....just add water boil..ect. Adds a change of diet to the bread and water...
    D.O.M.

The MSG is in the flavor packets. Instead of the flavor packet try adding some tuna, veggies or other items and you'll avoid the MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The MSG is in the flavor packets. Instead of the flavor packet try adding some tuna, veggies or other items and you'll avoid the MSG.
    Really,? I didn't know that, I'm just not worth a shut in the morning with out my MSG........

I pulled about 2kg out of my swag. Did a overnighter in it last night, worked OK. Went to sleep about 10pm hot, woke up around 4 cold, i rolled up in the blanket, went back to sleep woke up at 6.30 warm. For about 6kgs, thats not a bad night in the bush. Just need to string a few nights together now. Do you guys get the 2 minute noodles in the States? I like the Chicken over the Beef.

I haven't heard of a product called 2 minute noodles. I suspect it is similar to Ramen noodles.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel