Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: one of my latest

This is a really interesting thread.
    I thought a lot about doing a sword but then I settled on the fact that it's just too hard.

I say go for it if you've got a few tools. It's a lot of work, but if you've no reason to rush it's a lot of fun.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

ETA: It sort of feels like cheating to use math and a machine to make it in such fine work as yours, but if you need repeatable, perhaps the idea with the jig fence and a different cutter would be more "hands on" I could see just using a pressure device to hold a abrasive coated ball against the blade and just pull it through the jig a few thousand times, increasing pressure with a clamp etc. Be slow but would get around using a drill press / controlled machine to do the work if that is important to you. I got to say a mill would make it easier. The true art is in getting the folds to lay in the right order so the steel has the different properties through the cross section that you might want if you are folding it. If you are just shaping it as a homogeneous mass then no worries on that score. Sorry if i misstated it, I don't know all the tech terms, but I will try to learn a few just to help out.

Thad

For cutting a grove in metal I asked my son about improvised stuff if one lacks a true mill and he came up with something that I think I may play with:

He got a ball shaped grinding wheel and chucks it in a drill press.

Made a "fence guide" to bolt to the table so the metal would have something to ride against and a second on the other side to hold it snug. (this would be cut prior to sharpening I suppose or you could try to hold it in place with only the one none edge fence)

Then he set the press to lower the cutter ball to the desired depth for each side of the metal.

Turn it on and lower it where you want the groove (Hi) cut and pull it back to the end of where you want it cut.

Mirror image the jigs and do the opposite side.

all he needed was the press, some angle iron, the cutter ball and some time measuring stuff. Oh, an some bolts.

We just grabed a piece of scrap and boom cut it right in.

If you needed to you could do it in several repeatable passes at slower revolutions to keep the heat lower. Not as handy as the direct cooling fluid jets in a mill / cnc, but lots cheaper equipment.

It was just something he threw together for the idea when I asked him, If he hasn't cannibalized parts out of it I'll try to get daughter to get a pic of it in a day or so.

At least maybe it will give you a few ideas.

I like the history of japan and the blades, but I haven't really ever had opportunity to put them to a useful test.

The biggest habit I have gained from the whole thing is that I prefer to sheath my knives with the edge up and the back of the blade riding into the sheath.

Makes perfect sense to protect the edge.

Just wanted to share and add that I admire your work. I hope you have every opportunity to continue this journey.

Thad.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 06-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton