Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: one of my latest

Default one of my latest

I know it's been a while since I've let you all see what I've been up to. This is one of my latest; a shobu-zukuri tanto. the mounting is aikuchi type of african mahogany with a high molecular weight plastic fitting in place of a tsuba. the habaki is copper.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I still have a fair amount of work to do on the blade. sadly; this one will not be a seller as I mangled the Hi in an ill conceived attempt to machine them in with a round nose cutter.
    Last edited by canid; 04-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I plan to do a lot with this mahogany. It's gorgeous.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That came out great. Really beautiful work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like it very much

That is beautiful work. I really like the mahoganey

Looks Great ,And Yes The Wood Is Super Love the Grain Structure and the Creams Really Pop Also .
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Dang it. Would you speak English so I know what you're talking about. That knife turned out great. You should have talked about it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Whew! Glad it just wasn't me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by canid; 04-01-2012 at 08:35 AM.

nice job regardless of the Hi.

It looks horrible on the other side. the blade slipped in the vice between the first and second pass. I intend to do some more much in the same vein, though I hope to get some 3/16" bar the next time I can order steel. this blade was forged and ground from 1/8x1" stock and is a bit on the thin side for this style. the next tanto I do with 1/8" bar will probably be hira-zukuri.

I was simply thrilled to have been able to order some steel in the first place. I got 8' of 1/4x2" 5160H and 12' of 1/8x2" 1084 from a certain new jersey steel baron who shall remain nameless. It was my first steel purchase from a mill.

I need to get with that nameless steel baron too, LOL. I need some 1084 but admiral shipping seems to be expensive, maybe it's not just seems that way.

Nice looking knife. It's got a very organic look to it.

Aldo will cut to size so it fits in a flat rate box, BTW.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That is excellent. I don't think I knew that.

The number-and more importantly, the nature-of the complaints over the last year or so about the other vendor turned me off.

Also; I've added a kurikata to the knife's mounting. It's of the same plastic I used in place of the tsuba. I did not do it very well, but I'll be showing it off by the time the knife is finished. I'm also starting another mounting for a blade I began a little while back. I have a lot of others in the works.

Here is the next one I'm working on. I just started the saya this morning. The blade is the same 1084 as the other one. The mounting will be essentially like the other as well, though I plan to use the black plastic for fittings on the ends (kojiri and kurikata), and to include a slightly more prominent tsuba.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Here is the next one I'm working on. I just started the saya this morning. The blade is the same 1084 as the other one. The mounting will be essentially like the other as well, though I plan to use the black plastic for fittings on the ends (kojiri and kurikata), and to include a slightly more prominent tsuba.
    Hey, hey, hey now. Watch the language - we got kids here. Jeez - as a retired Navy guy I thought I heard it all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey, is it really so much to ask for everybody to learn a few dozen obscure Japanese terms? I'll start handing out homework if I have to...

On another Forum I Came Across While Reading up On Making a Tanto From a File .And It Was Talking About Putting a Hamon on the Blade .My Issue Is The Clay To Use Have you Used anything or Have a Link to a Good Type to Use. I Have Tryd Useing Fire Cualk ing But Have Failed Would Like to Find a Good Clay to Use to Start trying My Hand At Getting a Good Hamon On a Blade . Steel I'll Be Useing for this Would Be Old Nicklson Files and 1095 Steel.
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Hey, is it really so much to ask for everybody to learn a few dozen obscure Japanese terms? I'll start handing out homework if I have to...
    Oh great. Now we'll have to deal with the teacher's pet again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have tried only a little with various coatings and not had much success. It should absolutely be noted that these attempts have been with a steel which would not show very active lines to begin with.

With that said; any refractory clay mixture should be feasible as long as it 1.) sticks to the steel surface during quenching (e.g. does not flake off and crumble upon immersion), 2.) is applied to a sufficient thickness to slow complete transformation on that portion of steel and 3.) you are using a suitable steel. These things would probably take a bit (or a lot) of tweaking for any given change in one of these factors.

In nihonto, I understand that perfecting the clay formulation, as with most aspects of the craft was a field unto itself. I think the commercial product many modern smiths use is just plain refractory cement rated to high temperatures. I intend to play with some when I have the chance. At the required temperatures, I expect some brands may or may not contain contaminates which could even attack the steel.

Of course the application is no simple proposition were you can slap it right on and expect results. I expect it will take a fair bit of practice and experimentation. Or you could ask somebody who would know better.
    Last edited by canid; 04-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.