Thread: Mora and Rock Fire

Default Mora and Rock Fire

I don't have very good video capabilities but here's my latest one. A fire using a high carbon mora and a rock I picked up off the ground. All of the sparks I were getting were falling down, so I ended up striking the knife with the rock into the tin of charred cloth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1sHWyFoRk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Nice! Great demo!
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Now that is how it's supposed to work......
    Started up the camp fire for the week end once with a rock I dug up out of the fire pit.......still have it .
    Great work.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well done Rx.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Excellent!

I have always found it easier to throw a shower of sparks into the char and pick up whatever catches. If you start off like that it looks like you did it on purpose!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hello Ranger,
    I hate to ask this question, and I mean no disrespect. I've got a Mora just like that one, and have wanted to try using it this way but figured it would make a mess of the knife. Looked like you used the sharp edge of the blade in the first part of the video and the back edge when you struck into the char, but I wasn't sure. How did the knife hold up?

I don't know how I missed this. First, let me say OMG!!! That first method scared the beejesus out of me. Don't try this at home kids. They will start calling you stubby if you do. Second, very nice job on the spark and the vid.

Pale - I think he used the spine in both attempts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes, I used the spine on both parts. Like Rick said, you do run a chance of cutting yourself so if you want to try this then I would suggest holding the handle or placing some tape over the edge until you feel comfortable doing so. Use a very firm grip.

The spine does get dinged up pretty bad.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I've struck a some fires using my mora knife as well. I have held it on the blade before and a firm grip will keep you from cutting yourself, however if you strike a lot with it its still gonna chew up you finger. I think its definitely a good skill to have, although if I were lost in the woods I'd much rather have a knife and a c striker or something. If you guys are looking for some char cloth alternative check out my new video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLUCUWaRp-8

Get a Samsung W300

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=samsun...d=429564313396

Its what I use for my field camera. I do not use it under water, but if you check my utube channel, you will see that I recorded a LOT of video IN THE RAIN!

Then get a portable, travler tripod...
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-42-...Tripod/9722062

This is the one I use. Collapses small enough to fit in a butt pack so its pretty small, and light weight.

With the combo I can shoot HD in the field, in any weather condition.

The W300 has GREAT low light capacity too, thanks to it's 2.0 aperture!!

Anyway, thanks for the video... That there is real bushcraft bro, keep up the good work!

Andrew