Thread: Where is this "book"?

Default Where is this "book"?

I need a moment to vent.

I have been lazily browsing around for a cheap beater truck that is fairly dependable. I just want to use it on occassion for home projects and to have around just as an extra vehicle. Nothing fancy and nothing pretty. Just simple and works.

I found on craigslist a 95 s-10 regular cab, 8ft bed, 4x4, with 4.3L. Body is fair, but mismatched paint, interior is fair, and it has 203k on it. I look it up on Kelly Blue Book and they said $2200. This guy said it "books" for $4300!

Another gentlman had a 2001 dakota, reg cab, 6ft bed, 3.7L 5spd, 2WD, base (fleet) truck with a 140K miles. He said it "books" for $9,900! Kelly said $3800.

Finally I found a 92 F-150, 5.0L, reg cab, 6ft bed, 5spd, 2wd, body fair except rust around rear wheels, fair interior, and has 197K miles. He said it "booked" $6800! Kelly said $1100.

Where is this "book" that values trucks sooo high? I know it isn't Kelly.

The book should be in your back pocket. Then when they toss out some high number you can pull out the Kelly Blue Book and look it up in front of them. Then ask them where 'cause you don't see it. That should bring the price down or get you thrown off their property. Either way you'll feel better.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, there is NADA and sure sure that others are out there, too. Where it gets interesting, is the list of which price do you want......trade-in value, loan value, wholesale, fair market/private seller, and then the crazy high "retail".......then break each of those down by condition, poor, fair, good, or excellent. Then you get to "add" for the options that it has, and "deduct" for things like high miles. Yeah....what fun.

I saw a nice used F-150 on a lot a while back. (Trade in, on the back lot of a new car dealer.) I asked the sales guy what they were asking for it. He went and asked his boss, came back and told me $10,500. I laughed in his face and told him to tell his boss that I wasn't going to play the game, just tell me the bottom line "what will you take". He went back to his boss, then came back with a number of $5,500. I told him to have a nice day....I wasn't going to pay $5,500 for a $3,800 truck. He kinda stood there with his mouth hung open, as I walked out. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I worked in a dealership for a while. We had a baseline price on all used vehicles. So say we had a used vehicle on the lot for 5k and the baseline was 2k. We got to keep anything over that 2k that we could sell it for. If we were going below that price, we had to get approval from the manager. Even the baseline price was a little high.

Also, most people don't really know how to rate their vehicle. So if they look it up on something, odds are they are taking at the lowest, the middle price. Always haggle.

The book that you are trying to find is located in the sellers head. It is updated everytime his mail is delivered and how many bills have been delivered to him that day!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Well, what the heck,..... with the interweb out there,.... everyone should be on the same page.........LOL
    I hear it all the time at gun shows......I looked it up on the web and this is what it's worth.....

When i bought my 2008 truck, they were gonna give me 2K on the 1999 truck trade......outside the window was a 1998 window sticker of $4,499....Told them I'll just keep it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just keep shopping around. You will find a good deal at some point if you aint in a rush to find one. Around here everyone wants new prices for their 10-15 year old trucks. I laughed at so many people when I was looking for a truck because they wanted outrageous prices it wasnt even funny anymore.

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Lot's of good thoughts guys. You are right on Willie. I ain't in a hurry, just having a beater truck would be a thing of convience.

This all kinda reminds me of a guy who dealt in antique and classic cars. He brought me a 66' corvette for me to do some paint work on. In the window he had his sticker and it was priced at $48,000. This was probably in the early 90's and this car was not any where close to being worth that much, coupe-no AC ect.... When he came to pick it up I asked him why he had such a ridiculous price on such a plain equipped vette' and he said " I can always come down on my price but I can never go up!" and then he told me " Who knows? Some guy might just come by and fall in love with this thing and pay me. Always remember there ARE people out there with too much money!" He passed away several years ago but he was always a VERY wealthy man.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    This all kinda reminds me of a guy who dealt in antique and classic cars. He brought me a 66' corvette for me to do some paint work on. In the window he had his sticker and it was priced at $48,000. This was probably in the early 90's and this car was not any where close to being worth that much, coupe-no AC ect.... When he came to pick it up I asked him why he had such a ridiculous price on such a plain equipped vette' and he said " I can always come down on my price but I can never go up!" and then he told me " Who knows? Some guy might just come by and fall in love with this thing and pay me. Always remember there ARE people out there with too much money!" He passed away several years ago but he was always a VERY wealthy man.
    That's true.....
    Had an uncle that was a antique dealer (sort of)........had an old rusty, holey chamber pot in his "store"....marked $20 bucks.
    I ask him about it, said, "It isn't worth 25 cents, but if some one talks me down, to say $10 bucks, we are both happy........"

I see your points wtrfwlr and hunter. If they were at least in the ballpark, I would consider haggling a bit. When the starting price is 2-6 times the value, it isn't even worth talking. I would've even paid a few hundred more than what the F-150 was worth because it is my favorite body style of Ford Truck. Trying to get a guy down to $1500 from $6800 isn't really something a want to take on.

I guess I'm a fair kinda guy that likes both parties to get a fair deal, but when someone comes out of the gate with trying to get one over on me that much.....I just don't put up with it!

Good to hear, I'm sure a lot of people think the same.....But remember "The World ain't fair....CYA"

This reminds me of a story.
    A guy sits down beside a very attractive woman who is alone at the bar. He asks "Hi, would you sleep with me tonight for $20.00?"
    She disgustingly replies "Why NO! What do you think I am?"
    He counters "OK then, would you consider sleeping with me tonight for $100,000?" and he opens his brief case which is level full with bundled $100 bills!
    She says "Well now, that is quite a different proposition. Yes, I think that is very doable. Lets go and get out of here."
    He then asks, "Will you sleep with me for $50.00?"
    She is now bewildered "You just said $100,000 now you say $50.00, again what do you think I am!"
    "Well Sweetheart, we have already established what you are. Now we are just negotiating the price!"

No really Natertot, If it is just ridiculous I always come back with an offer equally ridiculous. What have you got to lose? They can't eat you! All that can happen is they say no or call you crazy, which you already know they know something about or it wouldn't be priced that way! It's not personal, it's just bidnezz!

Attributed to Sir Winston Churchill.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Attributed to Sir Winston Churchill.
    I never knew that was a Churchill story. Certainly sounds like him though.