Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22....Take down Model.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Compressed air is to regular air what Ramen noodles are to ......

I always wondered, If you break your regulator will you blow up like a balloon? Anyone know?

I got to thinking, It would be really good if Ruger reworked the AR7 concept. A rifle on the same platform with the ruger reliability reputation built in.

I have a 10/22 and can not see enough advantage to a takdown model to spring that much money on a package that is really no more convinient than the standard model. I can unscrew one screw, take the stock off and do nearly the same thing. All I lack is the little case to carry it in.

My AR7 is not only takedown, it fits into its own stock and weighs nothing. The 10/22 will always weigh 5 pounds and the more "accessories" one decides to carry the quicker it goes up. My AR7 weighs less with a brick of .22 shells included and already fits in my pack.

All Ruger has done is remade the Papoose in more expensive trim and it took them about 30 years to get around to doing it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I for one will have to try one of these TD 10-22's, I need it like a hole in the head but can a fella really have too many .22's? I like the Papoose too but I don't care much for the AR7 platform, they weigh nothing because there's nothing to them, cool though and I reckon that's enough.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by kkbmtgg View Post
    I for one will have to try one of these TD 10-22's, I need it like a hole in the head but can a fella really have too many .22's? I like the Papoose too but I don't care much for the AR7 platform, they weigh nothing because there's nothing to them, cool though and I reckon that's enough.
    It was the only thing that survived the canoe accident!

Everything else was gone and there the AR7 was, bobbing around like a fishing line float.

Try that with a takedown Ruger.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I put a RAM-Line folding stock on my eons ago. Folds down nice and neat. No, sadly, it didn't float.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick needs those custom styrofoam stocks on all of his guns

Or just the styrofoam smashed up under the seats in the canoes. I actually have two canoes. One for each foot. It's hard to get going but once you do it's just like skating on.....well, water.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Compressed air is to regular air what Ramen noodles are to ......

I always wondered, If you break your regulator will you blow up like a balloon? Anyone know?
    That depends on the kind of regulator, and how it breaks. The ancient double-hose/double- or triple-stage regulators (anybody remember Sea Hunt, starring Lloyd Bridges?) were located behind you on the tank(s), with lower-pressure intake and exhaust hoses connecting it to the mouthpiece. The newer single-hose rigs bring high-pressure air right up to the regulator, which is mounted ON the mouthpiece. I always preferred the ancient design because, to my way of thinking, it was safer and far more foolproof. But of course, I'm nearly as old as dirt, and I haven't been diving since the mid-1970's.

With either design, I'm pretty sure that such a failure is far more likely to vent your air supply into the water than into you. While I guess anything is possible, such a catastrophic ballooning event is pretty unlikely.

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

A quick follow-up: An experience I've had with the old double-hose regulators, and one that is practically impossible with the newer single-hose regulators, has to do with getting the regulator deeper in the water than the mouthpiece. With a double-hose regulator this involves turning so that you're essentially swimming on your back.

The slight differential in water pressure is just enough to make a noticeable difference in the air-delivery pressure. All you had to do was begin to inhale, and the regulator would do the rest FOR you. All you had to do was to intentionally stop inhaling, and the regulator would cut off.

This is as close as I've ever come to kyratshooter's "blow up like a balloon" scenario.

-- Nighteyes

Well sir, ya got me there!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It was the only thing that survived the canoe accident!

Everything else was gone and there the AR7 was, bobbing around like a fishing line float.

Try that with a takedown Ruger.

Well sir, ya got me there.

I remember in my open water scuba course years ago having to practice what to do if the regulator went bad and started free flowing. If you position your mouth right you can catch the air bubbles and get a few breaths to allow you to safetly ascend. I was never very good at it but you only need to catch a little to make a difference. I've heard of guys doing it directly from the tank by opening the valve just enough to give off enough bubbles to catch and breath but I would never try that.

As for the 10-22TD I picked up one a few weeks ago. I had tried the Pappoose several times and although I found it to be a good shooter I did not like the feel of not having a forend stock. I had no desire for the current production AR7s with some of the issues with jamming that they have had or being picky about ammo. So when this came out I was excited.

The 10-22 platform is proven and it basically shares those features with the take down version. It is a carbine model though.. I found it to be a good shooter with decent groups and a fun gun. Once the nut locks in it is very stable. It doesn't feel loose at all and seems to hold zero. The trigger pull is a bit stiff for my liking but since it is a 10-22 I can probably fix that with one of the dozen or so solutions that are on the market for that.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. I found a pretty good deal at the local gun shop. This was my first 10-22 and it is a lot of fun to shoot. It may not float but it is compact when broken down and it is reliable. I've put about 300+ rounds through mine which isn't much for a semi auto 22 but it is definitley enough to get a feel for the rifle.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

If you want a gun that floats, the list of choices is going to be short.

I have one of these and am pleased with it so far. I'm planning on getting a scope for it but otherwise keeping it pretty stock. I'm not planning on taking it scuba diving. :-)

I was involved in a terrible canoe accident in 2010. Lost all of my weapons and ammo. For the benefit of ATF, they are all still lost. So you will hear references from time to time about floating weapons and canoe accidents. Many a weapon has been lost on this forum due to the dreaded canoe accident.

The official name or one of them there acronym's in my case (wow these guy/gals used a big word).......TCA=, tragic canoe accident, but I can live with DCA.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    If you want a gun that floats, the list of choices is going to be short.

I have one of these and am pleased with it so far. I'm planning on getting a scope for it but otherwise keeping it pretty stock. I'm not planning on taking it scuba diving. :-)
    Can you say "Dummy cord, tied to mike jug?"........LOL learned my lession.

LOL!!!! My dad did the same thing. He dropped an old Damascus barrel in the lake when he was a kid. Dove and dove and dove before he finally found it. He did that with a jug and some twine. Man, that's funny. I thought he was the only person on earth that had ever done that. I have that shotgun hanging over the fireplace.

Rick,

I will never again trust you, or your canoe, to transport my entire (and completely legal) firearms inventory to Survivor Island. You, Sir, are on my PSL ("Permanent Sh*t-List"), in the event BATFE is monitoring.

-- Nighteyes, the Disarmed and Helpless
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-22-2012 at 08:07 PM.

It's really not my fault. There should have been a warning label in that end of the canoe not to load yourself, all your weapons and you ammo in the same end. I thought I was doing the right thing trying to keep an eye on 'em. Who knew? By the way, for the benefit of ATF, I did try to retrieve said weapons with a magnet but I lost the magnet. It's the only one I had.

Well, ya see it was this way.....the beer in the front of the canoe, balanced out the firearms and ammo....the the beer level started going down......causing an imbalance in the weight transfer as well as the operator....and wouldn't cha know it .......Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Can you say "Dummy cord, tied to mike jug?"........LOL learned my lession.
    I am thinking about taking a canoe trip before the summers over, my .22 is definitely going to be tied to a milk jug now lol Thanks for the tip!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.