Thread: Range Day

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Range Day

I met Natertot for a range sesion today. Had a fine time.

Nice young man he is.

I think I made a believer in scoped Mosins out of him!

The look on his face the first time he touched off the reworked 35 cent trigger on my rifle was priceless! He is probably looking for a set screw and a 6x32 drill and tap as we speak.

Anyhow, after shooting a 2" group out of my cheaply scoped rifle he was mumbling about LER scopes, lighter triggers and getting the holes closer together.

He was doing OK with open sights mind you. It's just that a scope on a MN makes things so much easier and shows what the potential really is.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey Natter, I forgot to give you those stripper clips!!!

I had them right there in the shooting box too!

I put them in the Jeep so I would not forget them.

Sounds like a good time....I always get a kick out of guys at the range when they stop over to see what I'm doing....switching barrels on the H&R Handi, or banging away with the wiff of cordite smoke out of the old milsups....or as they say, dumping stuff down the wrong end.

Always a good day.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

sounds like a blast, do you have any links to accurizing a mosin?

You gave them to him but he put them back in the jeep so he'd have a reason to come back down and shoot that MN. You gave him the "Mosin Itch".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh, Oh.....You mean that was his first?...Oh man, that was bad.....will be bad....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    sounds like a blast, do you have any links to accurizing a mosin?
    here is the thread we did here a couple of years ago. please excuse the photo messups. My computer has crashed and photobucket had a nervous breakdown in the process so rather than pictures of the build you get tin cans and the cat.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=quick+dirty

Everything you need is on the internet with a google search. Some of it is dangerous, espically some of the trigger mods. They reduce sear engagement. My mod uses a set screw to change the fulcrum point of the trigger and reduce pull weight rather than sear engagement.

I have also gone to the ATI bolt and scope mount. It requires drilling and tapping two holes for the scope. You will need to add JBWeld under the mount to make it a secure installation and if you use a short scope it does not look strange. The ATI bolt handle is also needed to get clearance for the scope. It works if you do the installation right. Mine is holding zero with a cheap compact scope that comes close to looking like it belongs on the rfle.

If I were doing a quick scope mount I would ue the long eye relief scope on the dovetails holding the rear sight in place. No gunsmithing past using a pin punch and no modifications to the rifle. You could have a scope on the rifle and sighted in 1/2 hour.

For those that want the most accuracy possible I am sad to inform you that you will need to remove the wood ahead of the action at the first barrel band. That wood hanging on the barrel messes with the harmonics. All those ugly long barreled Mosins with the short stocks really do shoot better than the military trim, espically if they are glassed in.

Oddly, as a professional historian I am not the slightest bit interested in owning a "piece of history" They made 37 million of these things, they will not be a rarity until my seventh removed grandson/grandaughter graduates from Starfleet Academy and sets out on the Enterprise in 2460 ad. I'll chop one up in a New York minute

thanks for the info Krat. I have a mosin and one of these days when time permit will be fooling with it.

I forgot about the stripper clips too! Rick has a point to the benefit of forgetting them, although not done on purpose. I haven't been looking for that tap and set screw yet. I have a few household projects I need completing before winter. It might be a winter project for sure. I appreciate the kind words as well, Kyrat. For anyone in doubt, Kyrat is a great guy. Anyone who has a rifle question, I would listen very attentively to his answers.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You gave him the "Mosin Itch".
    It wasn't that kind of meeting! Wait...you mean.... never mind.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

When you guys do get ready to do the trigger mod shoot me a PM and I will post the pictures I took as I was doing that application. It is an easy fix with the pictures and a couple of sentences instruction. One hole drilled and tapped and the job is done. You can then adjust the trigger using an allen wrench from the top of the receiver.

That one mod could cut group size by 50% even with open sights.

I have gotten to the point that I really hate bad triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    When you guys do get ready to do the trigger mod shoot me a PM

Just a word of advice. When talking weapons the phrase "shoot me" should not be used. Just sayin'....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.