Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fence posts?

As an update to this post (get it, post). After reading your responses, I called my dad. He gave me the same advice, just pack em in, no concrete. He did a fence in the same general area (about 30 miles from here) and it lasted a pretty long time. Anyways, then I went and bought 40 pressure treated 4X4's. I then went and asked a neighbor (who used to have a fencing business in the area) and he said that there are so many rocks in the ground, an auger would be pointless. Just use a digging bar. So far I have been able to dig out one old post in concrete, and set one new one in its place. Some of my fence line I am increasing the number of poles from what was previous. I shouldn't need to dig out the old concrete, just dig a new fresh hole next to it. But, there are sections that I will have to dig out the old ones. I am thinking about paying some of my scouts to dig 'em out for me. They need something to do all summer anyways. At any rate, I plan to take all summer and maybe some fall to finish setting all the posts. That should keep the honey-do list away for a time. Then I need all winter to hang the fence on the posts. If I am lucky, I can drag this out for a year. Wish me luck.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    That should keep the honey-do list away for a time. Then I need all winter to hang the fence on the posts. If I am lucky, I can drag this out for a year. Wish me luck.
    Trust me - the list is growing whether or not you know about it. You will eventually though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I just came across this thread. Without taking the time to read all of the posts, I'd like to offer you my two cents. (My apologies if I am repeating advice that has already been already offered.)

I realize money is always a factor, but that being said your time has value too. If I was planning to install a privacy fence I would belly up the difference for heavy gauge metal posts and feel confident that short of some natural disaster I would never have to deal with them again in my lifetime. Just replace rails and pickets every 10 to 20 years as needed. You will need to, if you haven't already, identify the type of preservative used in your pressure treated posts. Some preservatives react poorly with bare and galvanized metals and consequently they are highly corrosive. It's likely you will need to use stainless steel screws, bolts, and/or nails for any fasteners in contact with your treated lumber to avoid failure due to metal corrosion. The added cost of these fasteners might make the steel post in concrete a better option after all.

Good luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    I just came across this thread. Without taking the time to read all of the posts, I'd like to offer you my two cents. (My apologies if I am repeating advice that has already been already offered.)

I realize money is always a factor, but that being said your time has value too. If I was planning to install a privacy fence I would belly up the difference for heavy gauge metal posts and feel confident that short of some natural disaster I would never have to deal with them again in my lifetime. Just replace rails and pickets every 10 to 20 years as needed. You will need to, if you haven't already, identify the type of preservative used in your pressure treated posts. Some preservatives react poorly with bare and galvanized metals and consequently they are highly corrosive. It's likely you will need to use stainless steel screws, bolts, and/or nails for any fasteners in contact with your treated lumber to avoid failure due to metal corrosion. The added cost of these fasteners might make the steel post in concrete a better option after all.

Good luck with your project!
    At first I wanted to put in the metal posts. But, in reality, my time has no value in this project. I don't get paid putting it up, and I am not using time up doing the fence that I would normally be doing something that pays me. The metal posts cost twice the pressure treated ones. Then, add concrete. I will be using screws, the added cost is worth it for me.

Thanks for the input. The more options, the better.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I haven't dug postholes since the 50's. We always used "hedge or locust" for fence post. Some of those post had been put in at least 50 years before I was born and they were so damm hard you couldn't drive a stape in them. Never did see one of them Rot.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared