Thread: Iowa Farms Under 4ft of Sand

Default Iowa Farms Under 4ft of Sand

I feel for the farmers in the Iowa area trying to endure 4 feet of sand. Any of you guys live out in that neck of the woods?

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AtlJAQa1u4...085520004.html
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Saw it on the news.....big mess.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They've certainly got their work cut out for them. Farmers in general are a resilient bunch - I'll bet they prevail.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow. I hadn't heard about this. I don't see how farmers make it. It is either too hot, too dry, too wet.....
    Our men and women in uniform are brave enough to charge hell without a drop of water.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There was a reason they once called that entire region "The Great American Desert".

In the early 1800s the government, geographers and every farmer that crossed the territory, wrote off everything west of the 100 meridian and east of the Rocky mountains as uninhabitable. They were well aware of what we try to disprove, "you can't fight Mother Nature".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So I guess they have beach property to sell? LOL I am sorry for them and what it will take to get thheir land back to usable. I could use some of that sand for my garden.

I feel for those people. I lived in Iowa for a large part of my life ( not that area). I have been around that area more then once and as I think that article mentioned, alot of those farms are on what I know as bottomland. Over the years both sides of Iowa have been pounded by Mothernature. No matter how smart we think we are as humans, Mothernature controls the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and sooner or later she will try to reclaim what we have taken from her. These farmers may well reclaim what they call theirs but, they're for sure fighting an uphill battle.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Man I can't even imagine the river receding and the field being covered in sand! Clearing sand off 500 acres 4 feet deep makes laying field tile seem like child's play lol!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.