Thread: Fishing yo-yo

Default Fishing yo-yo

Has anyone ever used one of these? I seen a video the other day about these , plus on one of Ricks sites there is one for sale ! It really looks cool . Obviously its made to be used on tree limbs but I wonder if you were to make a tripod in shallower water if it would work as well!

If anyone has used one I would be interested to know how it really worked!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

When I saw the videos of yo-yo's I went out and got 3 dozen! I have not used them yet, but they are so clever.
    Apparently they've been around a long time and well liked by the old timers.
    I bought 'White's' Auto Fishers as I think they were the original ones, and they are made in the USA (Arkansas).
    My first dozen I bought off of eBay, and then I found them at Walmart for half the price so I bought two more dozen.
    As I ran into people and asked about them, the word is they do work great, but that's only second hand.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i figured out a way to build a primitive version of the yo-yo. it works kind of like a deadfall trap. a falling log exerts tension on the line, the fish bites the hook and releases the trigger stick ,the log shifts enough to pull up the hungry bitter... cool post
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I was actually told on this forum by more than one member not to waste my money...if I can only find that thread. It was at least a year ago.

I think it would be worth the effort , Wal-Mart has them? I will check , I think it is a great way to fish , just make sure to check the lines fairly often or the fish you caught might become bait for something else!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Has anyone ever used one of these? I seen a video the other day about these , plus on one of Ricks sites there is one for sale ! It really looks cool . Obviously its made to be used on tree limbs but I wonder if you were to make a tripod in shallower water if it would work as well!

If anyone has used one I would be interested to know how it really worked!
    I bought a box of them about 12 years ago from an old hole in the wall baitshop after reading an article about them in Fur-Fish-Game magazine. They actually work fairly well for small fish. I rigged my yoyos up on branches overhanging creeks (in limbline fashion), and have also used them off the side of boats, docks, and even my kayak. Have baited them with everything from cut shad to grasshoppers. They work well for eater sized channel cats. I've caught other types of fish on them, but not often. Bluegill and other sunfish will often just nibble at your bait and not get hooked if/when they set the yoyo off. I've caught crappie on them, but it's rare. Mainly just channels with the odd bullhead thrown in. Never any monsters (I don't think I'd trust a yoyo with a real big fish), but good numbers of eaters. If using them in a recreational setting, be sure to check your regs, as they are illegal some places. One handy thing about yoyos is quick and versatile depth selection, and they are easily stored pre-rigged. I think they are worth experimenting with if nothing else.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

The real advantage to them, IMO, is they are another tool that can do the work for you while you are doing something else. So two jobs can be accomplished at the same time.

I also have about 20 or so inner strands of paracord that I have set up as bank lines. I used the paracord sheath for boot laces and that left me the inner strands that are close to perfect for that. I can't use that many of course because of fishing regs but I have them if I need them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    i figured out a way to build a primitive version of the yo-yo. it works kind of like a deadfall trap. a falling log exerts tension on the line, the fish bites the hook and releases the trigger stick ,the log shifts enough to pull up the hungry bitter... cool post
    cool idea!!!
    -but i reackon it'd also work with a whippy banch wouldn't it?
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin-IT View Post
    cool idea!!!
    -but i reackon it'd also work with a whippy banch wouldn't it?
    Green branches work great for stringing limblines, they just aren't always in an ideal spot.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

................Ive used them for 'bout 30 years now..........IMO they are far better than trot-lines or jugs for cat'fish'n...
    Generally if live minnows are used as bait...can catch a wider variety of fish to include bass and crappie....I keep about
    3 dozen but if'n I don't catch anything by the time I get 2 doz. set, ain't likely do as well, hanging them in drop'line method
    from over'hangs...used them in tripod method also...any creative way works (IF) hung in ideal spots...They can offer a
    most fast pace & excitement-filled experience when fish are biteing....trick is, you gotta stay with them and place them
    in such a way you can watch "ALL" of them...Move them around to different locations...some spots produce better than
    others and you wanna bunch'em up in the more productive places, naturally,...but not so close they come to be intangled
    with one'another....they work well in calm or slow'moving water.....I've caught fish up to 30 lb with'em..................BH51..

good point Mr. Way actually didn't think of that. only river worth fishing is a good 2 hours drive away from me, not to mention it's not worth fishing :/
    -if i had to fish to live it'd be in a resevior or the ocean, and i'd be making break waters and using nets
    .........i just can't fish
    Real men have beards, because real men are cavemen.

Fishing yo-yos???? I understand there are a lot of those on this forum.

Pretty neat idea, my Grandfather rigged all sorts of "lazy-man fishin" as he called it.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

lazy man or not , if it works it might save your life , Im sure setting snares is the "lazy mas" method of hunting, but imagine your luck when come back to camp with a couple rabbits?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

I never understood the stigma that surrounds set lining (not just yo-yos, but all of it) in terms of it being called "lazy man's" fishing. It's the aquatic equivalent of running a trapline. Set placement and construction, constant checking and re-baiting, resupplying yourself with bait if necessary, tending to your catch,ect. It's work whether you're running half a dozen or fifty. Much "lazier" in my opinion to walk up to the water's edge with a fishing rod, cast in, and then sit on a bucket and wait for a hit. Granted, though, it is like anything else, you can make it as simple (easy) or as complicated (hard) as you want or ability/condition allows. My apologies if that came off as a little testy on the subject. Being a long time set-liner I couldn't resist.

No reason they can't be used for ice fishing either. If you can find or make a hole it can be fishing while you're doing something else.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They are great but can't use em in Texas anymore cause they made them illegal.But when I was a kid we caught lots of fish on them and some were pretty big.Bummer.

Well all I know is that if I was stranded in the wilderness, and I was hungry, I would care less if they were illegal. At that point it just doesn't matter!