Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SHTF scenarios anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    "Top 10 most likely"???

Right under zombie apocolipse and astroid stike?

If Yellowstone does go it will not just cover the western states with ash. It will end civilization, probably the entire human race. Probably trigger another ice age, adjust ocean currents and render studies of "historic weather patterns" useless as the mile high ice wall approches the Ohio River and covers northern Europe.

That is not a senerio, you can not prepare for that, you can not equip for it, you can not train for it and there is not one thing you can do about it.

Wasted time fighting nightmares.

Pick your battles and prep for something you can do something about.
    It all depends on the magnitude of the eruption. And if it a fairly low magnitude, it may be survivable. I dont think it is fair to say that it will wipe out mankind. The scientists dont know, and I doubt seriousley if you do.
    The only thing they can say is it is past due, and they THINK it may be a big one. But we all know that mother nature does exactly as she wants, and it may be a low level eruption despite all of the horror story's.
    Besides, the temperature of the earth will take quite a long time to cool, it wont be a flash freeze. And nobody knows how long the ash will stay in the atmosphere, so mankind could be here for a while after the event, maybe forever, nobody really knows.
    I am preparing for realistic possible events, but I'm just saying that this one is in the top 10, based on it's past eruption intervals.

I have not read the whole thread so this may have been said already. How about Yellowstone erupting? Soryy just seen that it has been mentioned.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would think where you are that things like radios would be less a luxury and more a necessity. Not only does it keep you abreast of what's going on but can be used in an emergency to summon help. That, of couse, would mean power generation in some form. If things go bad, as you fear, how will you know what's going on? Knowledge is power.
    Well actually I do have hand crank radios but hopefully my remoteness will lessen my need for current news. I think that clocks might be more valuable to me. Strangely, I currently do not miss the "news" when I am in isolation. Mostly I find that the emergencies in the middle east continue like a soap opera. I can miss a year of episodes and still be quite up to date when I see the next episode. The slow slide of the world financial situation and particularly of the US dollar is quite predictable and on course, particularly in retrospect. Even if required, I don't expect to be able to get help in the worst case.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been busy out of town.

Allen
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Currie Author View Post
    Even if required, I don't expect to be able to get help in the worst case.
    Allen
    That is why I prepare and study this stuff. I rely on me; everybody else has a different agenda.

I strongly believe that wilderness survival is key to SHTF survival. Self reliance through knowledge.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Top of my SHTF list:

They stop making Twinkies
    Pigs go extinct and we have no more bacon
    They stop making The Walking Dead
    The government outlaws junk food
    PETA outlaws fishing because it causes mental trauma to the fish

The list goes on and on....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Now all kidding aside my top five main concerns of SHTF at this time would be:

Fire; I feel pretty safe in the dorm, the hole building is concrete, got the fire escape down pat, if there was a fire in the hallway I'm only on the second floor so the window is my next option. But the bad thing about my dorm is the fire alarm system is very old, and very sensitive, so about every week we have a fire alarm at 2-4 in the morning for no reason due to the faulty system. And it has got people in the state of mind that when the fire alarm goes off there is no actual fire.

Car accident; they claim many lives every year, and it's a split second of reaction time to keep you safe if SHTF while your driving. Whether it's an animal, another driver, or yourself, always stay keep a close eye on whats happening while your on the road, even if your riding shotgun. And if your on a long drive and can barely stay awake, don't be ashamed to pull off in a parking lot and rest. I've had too many friends wreck because they fell asleep, and NEVER EVER under any circumstances drive while intoxicated no matter the amount!

Tornadoes; these boogers scare me! Leaving absolute destruction in their path and long term power outages for many. Some of are fellow forum members have experienced these all to recently, and everyone in a area prone to tornadoes should have a weather alarm. Many people have been killed by tornadoes while they were asleep since warning did not reach them.

Long term power outage; whether it's due to ice, tornadoes, or EMP's lol My roommate and I have enough food to last us more than a month in our dorm room lol and our room is small enough if it's winter two peoples body heat keeps them room at a balmy 65 degrees or more (Most of the winter we had our window open to try and keep it cool in the room lol) I've got at least 10 ways to make fire to cook our food in our dorm room (outside of course lol) And if you light candles when the power goes out, place the wisely! The last thing you want is a massive bonfire on your hands... (in case of bonfire keep fresh marshmallows and roasting sticks in the barn)

Getting mugged; Purdue has a very low crime rate, but it is still a lot bigger of a place than I'm used to and there have been a few assaults but nothing much. So the thought is lodged somewhere in the back of mind. So I always have a knife that fits into college rules on my person. Although I would like to get some training on how to better use it so it's not taken away from me and used against me. But I'm still fairly confident that it would make somebody think twice...

That's just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by Sparky93; 04-02-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Sparky, that's a pretty darn good plan. Why not pick up a smoke detector and put in your room as well as a carbon monoxide detector? Check with the school of course and make certain they are legal but if you can place them in your room you'll have some backup warning for little money.

A couple of other things you might consider.

Winter blizzard, extreme cold - We haven't been bothered too much by this the last couple of years but I65 has been closed in a couple of sections on many occasions between here and Lafayette. It's pretty open country up through there and the interstate drifts closed faster than they can clear it. Just make certain if you have to stay over while school is closed/holiday that you can stay warm in your room.

Terrorism - An unlikely threat at best but Purdue is a well known school. At least have some plans laid down as to where you would go. This includes on campus shootings. I'm sure Purdue has a plan in place. Familiarize yourself with it and always know where the exits are no matter what building you're in.

Earthquake - Athough another fairly unlikely event, there is a relatively unknown seismic region in your area called the Royal Center Fault Line. It is northeast of Lafayette about 50 files.

That knife is up close and personal. The one thing you can depend on in a knife fight is you are going to get cut. It's just a question of how bad. If the school will allow Mace on campus, and I would think they would, that might be a better first line of defense. You can still have the knife but the Mace would at least provide some distant between you and an assailant regardless of their intent.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sparky, be sure and keep a good flashlight with extra batteries, my dorm had emergency lights and most of them didn't work. When the power went out, it was a black maze trying to get around, and most of my dorm mates were trying to manuver with gigarette lighters. Also a few candles would work as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Sparky, be sure and keep a good flashlight with extra batteries, my dorm had emergency lights and most of them didn't work. When the power went out, it was a black maze trying to get around, and most of my dorm mates were trying to manuver with gigarette lighters. Also a few candles would work as well!
    We got flashlights and enough batteries to last me 2 years lol You have no idea the amount of stuff I've packed into this over glorified closet lol I didn't list everything I had cause it would have took me forever LMAO But a good reminder anyhow, we actually had the power go out for about 4 hours a couple weeks ago because the sub station off campus caught on fire. I was surprised to got power on as quick as they did though, back home a cricket farts and the power is out all night lol
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sparky, that's a pretty darn good plan. Why not pick up a smoke detector and put in your room as well as a carbon monoxide detector? Check with the school of course and make certain they are legal but if you can place them in your room you'll have some backup warning for little money.

A couple of other things you might consider.

Winter blizzard, extreme cold - We haven't been bothered too much by this the last couple of years but I65 have been closed in a couple of sections on many occasions between here and Lafayette. It's pretty open country up through there and the interstate drifts closed faster than they can clear it. Just make certain if you have to stay over while school is closed/holiday that you can stay warm in your room.

Terrorism - An unlikely threat at best but Purdue is a well known school. At least have some plans laid down as to where you would go. This includes on campus shootings. I'm sure Purdue has a plan in place. Familiarize yourself with it and always know where the exits are no matter what building you're in.

Earthquake - Another fairly unlikely event, there is a relatively unknown seismic region in your area called the Royal Center Fault Line. It northeast of Lafayette about 50 files.

That knife is up close and personal. The one thing you can depend on in a knife fight is you are going to get cut. It's just a question of how bad. If the school will allow Mace on campus, and I would think they would, that might be a better first line of defense. You can still have the knife but the Mace would be provide some distant between you and an assailant regardless of their intent.
    Great additions Rick, it might not be bad to look into getting some back up detectors cause I sleep like a rock lol I'm really not worried about getting mugged, it's just that little thing in the back of my mind. Having something on me (being my knife, which I think my new one just came in the mail so I'm going to go get it here after I get done typing...) just gives me that little piece of mind, kind of like when I'm out in the woods after dark I like to have my rifle even though the greatest threat that might be out there is a psycho squirrel that wants to gnaw on my face while I sleep lol
    Thomas Paine

Sparky, and everyone else I guess, always make sure you have beer on hand. In college we lost power once and had to drink all the beer before it got warm. Another time we had like a foot of snow and the only place open was the distributor. Got the SUV dug out and made a beer run for like 20 people.

Quote Originally Posted by jpgreco View Post
    sparky, and everyone else i guess, always make sure you have beer on hand. In college we lost power once and had to drink all the beer before it got warm. Another time we had like a foot of snow and the only place open was the distributor. Got the suv dug out and made a beer run for like 20 people.
    lmao!!!!.....
    Thomas Paine

Looking back over previous posts on this thread

I have two woodstoves, a smaller one for cooking and a larger one for winter heating. One thing I really like is those fans that sit on top of the stove and operate on heat differential. Stirling engines I think they're called. You can take the fan off and attach a very small water pump to keep your outside tank of water circulating into the warm so it won't freeze in winter. I have set up a radiator behind the stove to pick up more heat. Theorectically this should work by temperature differential, but I haven't found a way to get enough volume moving to satisfy me without assistance. Maybe a very small motor and a small solar and battery system. Don't need a lot of power, just a bit of a helper.

In winter this won't work where I am, but gravity showers are great in summer. Paint a 55 gallon steel container black so it will absorb heat from the sun too. Take the radiator from the back of an old fridge or two and repaint black. Place in a black box(I put glass over mine.) Place unit in direct sunlight. Run your water pipe from the ends of the fridge radiator pipes into two levels of your barrel. The temprerature can get into the high 100's F theoretically at least. I guess I shower too much, but it is nice.

I have a 1200w genset but I have never taken it out of its box in three years. In isolation it is far too noisy. You can hear it for miles. I will use it for my angle grinder while cutting sheet metal which is also noisy. I have picked up a solar panel to try this year to keep me on the internet. I can hopefully rig a high antennae (not directly connected) to pick up and pipe down the signal. I suppose one could also use ones cell phone too. (I don't have one.) Otherwise my internetting is going to be limited to MacDonalds wifi and libraries.

Allen
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”

Pictures of that would be great. I'd like to see how you have it set up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick
    No camera

All The greek officially recognized debt per capita is/was $38,937
    The US officially recognized debt per capita is, well the figures have grown, but $44,215. However the government auditors are refusing to sign the books becauise they are totally misleading. Nuff said.

I see this as a harbringer of things to come

Elderly Greek Kills Himself in Main Athens Square

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46955745

Daily Proto Thema exclusively published the shattering hand-note of D. Ch.:

“The occupation government of Tsolakoglou* literally annihilated any possibility for my survival that was depended on a decent pension which only I personally paid for 35 years (without any state support).

Because my age does not give me the possibility for a dynamic reaction (without meaning that if a Greek would grab the kalashnikov, I wouldn’t be the second one [to grab one], I see no other solution than the decent end before I start searching in the garbage for food.

I believe that one day the youth without future will take the arms and hang upside down at Syntagma Square the national traitors as the Italians did with Mussolini in 1945 Piazza Poreto in Milan)”

National Traitors? interesting choice of words. Then let's start with all those citizens that didn't utter a single word when they were given the fat of the lamb. Why not write about the fact that since Greece became a democracy they've spent huge sums of money on social reforms, 2/3 of that going toward pensions! It's a welfare state and now it's time to pay the piper. Plain and simple. I view this one act of desperation no differently than I do the captain in the Gulf that killed himself over the BP oil spill. Seems like a careless, unnecessary act today now doesn't it?

Rick
    I don't think that I posted that because of its international significance per se. However I think most people have no sense whatsoever of how much the people in Greece are suffering, and if they don't get this sense they will be badly mauled when it happens in the US. And it WILL happen in the US.

It is true that the Greek tragedy was brought on by themselves by foolish government spending and attitude. But then isn't the US standing on the edge of a precipice brought on by foolish government spending and attitude? There is a saying in investment circles which I am sure you understand. "A rising tide raises all boats." meaning it is easy to make money in bull markets. Because the general trend was up, politicians congratulated themselves and their own brilliance in managing. In truth they were totally incompetant. And Greece is only the canary in the mine.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quite the jump from gen-sets and solar power to political/economic debate without any transitional-trigger post!

What you are stating is not even a hint at a senerio, simply a criticizim of government, and something we can do little about individually until the next voting cycle.

Or are you suggesting the violent overthrow of OUR government from your rebel headquarters in "Northern Ontario" as an alternative to mass suecide by the pensioners.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Words fail me. I'm going back to my painting.... maybe it's the fumes, but my head hurts.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

This thread makes me want to go get drunk