Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF scenarios anybody?

Default SHTF scenarios anybody?

Hi guys I'm new here and just wonder what you think is likely to plunge us into a SHTF (sh*t hits the fan) survival situation?
    Here's are a few possible scenarios, have i missed any out?-

1- A "super-Chernobyl/Fukushima" incident.

2- A massive asteroid strike that throws up enough dust to block sunlight for years.

3- A nuclear war.

4- Conventional war on US soil
    5- weather pattern shift
    6- government collapse
    7- Civil War

8) super volcano
    9) magnetic pole shift
    10) zombies
    11) Dec. 21 2012
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Why are we suddenly back on the Walter Mitty nightmare dreamwagon?

How about huricane, fire, flood and tornado?

They actually happen in real life, rather than the first 11 which might happen once every 500-100,000 years, if at all.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KRS, Pssst, just going with the jest of the OP....the SHTF's where we are sooooo screwed...you know?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, The single most likely one: Dr. say's, Sorry, you have cancer. We can give you something for the pain, but other than that there is just nothing we can do, sorry"
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.

It's just that there are so many Doomsday scenarios around that each one would have to be prepared for in a different way wouldn't it?

PS- i've just thought of another one- Plague. (possibly an accidental escape of germs from a lab that wipes out 95% of humans)
    Last edited by Hubert; 03-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Prepare for zombies and then all other things are encompassed.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Yes, The single most likely one: Dr. say's, Sorry, you have cancer. We can give you something for the pain, but other than that there is just nothing we can do, sorry"
    My aunt caught a cold and went to the doctor. Told she had pneumonia. A week later she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A couple days letter she was dead.

With the Euro between a rock and a hard place, and the national debt of so many countries, I would say a financial melt leading to uber inflation, riots (wait, you're already having those in the UK and europe) general unlawfulness and a break down of society. Can I say, drawing and quartering all the bankers?
    I know what hunts you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    My aunt caught a cold and went to the doctor. Told she had pneumonia. A week later she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. A couple days letter she was dead.
    That is REAL World Sh!t hit the fan.

You guys are going off on things you can't prepare for.

Prepare for what you can, when you can.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

(slowly banging head on wall). If you don't change the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors you might find out real quick. KY and Nell are living SHTF first hand. It has nothing to do with plagues or zombies or economic meltdown or anything else that isn't going to happen. It has to do with REAL events that happen everyday.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sister-in-Law moves in! Oh wait, she did!!!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Gasoline and diesel going to $10 per gallon! You probably wont believe what that would do!

I'll go with:

1. sun going supernova and enveloping the earth.
    2. Another large star exploding and sending a gamma ray burst straight at the earth.
    3. An alien race called the Xindi being told by ill-intentioned time travelers that humans will come and destroy them in the future, so they decide to build a massive weapon that can destroy earth to eradicate all humans and prevent them from forming a federation of planets.
    4. Another alien race who are half biological and half machine who travel the galaxy assimilating all life into their own collective.
    5. The death star thinking that there is a rebel base on earth.
    6. Another alien race composed of robots that can change from humanoid form to vehicle form and back again at will, who are led by an evil leader who is driven by a lust for power and wants to subject all life under his control.
    7. Loki
    8. nano-robots who can modify their structure and who's only goal is to replicate until all resources are depleted.
    9. liberals

I can think of some others, but they take more to explain.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Gasoline and diesel going to $10 per gallon! You probably wont believe what that would do!
    And when oil eventually runs out things will be even worse. I tried researching it on the net and all the experts are divided on when D-day (Dry-day) will be; but their general consensus of opinion is that it'll be "sometime before the end of this century".
    Some oil industry experts say that 2010 was the first year that supply couldn't meet demand, and that it's downhill to D-day all the way from now on.
    Others say oil won't run out for centuries because there are still untapped deposits under the ground and sea,
    But the bottom line is that there's only so much oil in the planet earth and it WILL therefore run out one day.
    We'll then be in serious poop because there'll be nothing to power our jets and tanks and stuff and we'll be back to stone age weapon technology, right General?

"Ugh!"
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There is debate as to whether there really is a limited amount of oil deposits. Also, we already have technology that doesn't rely on fossil fuel for energy. I doubt we will go back to stone age.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Well, it seems there will be alot of disappointed people out there that have prepped up for all the over the top scenarios, all for the pleasure of saying...."I told ya soooooo" a nanosecond before they are vaporized.......and nothing catastrophic happens,...... but just a slow decline.....

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    ..I doubt we will go back to stone age.
    Bin there dun that! I'm talking about a power cut after dark, which many of us have experienced at some time or other, here's an article i did which shows just how much we rely on electricity-

NIGHTFALL
    I'll never forget an incident some years ago; i was sitting at my computer one evening after dark when suddenly it switched itself off and the light in the room went off.
    At first i thought a fuse had blown, but then i realised the street lamp outside had gone off too.
    I looked out the window and there was no light anywhere, not a glimmer of any kind.
    Power cut! (It lasted about an hour)
    "Oh well" i thought, "i might as well make myself a cup of tea" and grabbed a torch (flashlight).
    But the kettle stayed cold because i'd forgotten it was an electric kettle, duh..
    So i trudged into the other room to watch TV. Bad move, no electricity..
    It was turning cold, so i tried the electric heating. Stone cold of course..
    I ambled into the back garden to look around and see if i could spot a light somewhere, anywhere, but without success.
    Then as my eyes grew accustomised to the pitch blackness, I glanced up to the sky, and was hit by the stunning sight of a trillion stars blazing down that took my breath away!
    As a city-dweller i'd never seen them like this before because of light pollution, but now i could see the whole heavenly array in all their splendour, not just the usual bright ones but all the tiny faint ones like grains of sand, and the band of the Milky Way across the zenith, the whole show seemed to have an awesomely dizzying 3D depth to it.
    It was a very spiritual experience, there i was, back in the stone age without electricity,cold, lonely and dying for a cup of tea, yet there were the heavens blazing down in all their glory, huge, powerful, majestic, eternal, scary...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.