Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    You see, ninja dude, this particular thread is on survival fishing kits; and since frog's legs are yummy, using your emergency fishing kit to catch them is one way to sustain yourself. If, however, you wish to lug around a pellet gun and shoot them...well, a .22 would do the same thing, however that is not congruent with survival tactics.....
    Fair enough.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

I've never had frogs legs before. Anyone want to throw some in a box and mail them up to me???
    They might be a bit gamy by the time they arrive.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Naw just get some frog protection
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah...darn, I'll have to go without experiencing this culinary delight.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Banned

Default I'll eat anything but...

To me frog legs taste like fish flavored chicken. Better than many fish, much better than catfish. I prefer iguana but mostly just because they are bigger. Snakes and alligator that I happen to have had were much more tough and chewey. Turtle was disappointing, lot of work, little food. Pompano and crappie worth every bit of effort. Psychology is large part of survival.

Tony's and Tabasco ........Just saying.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tot its about survival fishing kits?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Tony's and Tabasco ........Just saying.
    There's a lot of truth in that saying! I keep some of the fast food condiment packets in my gear. Stuff like salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper. I also keep a small bottle (it is one of the little syrup bottles that Cracker Barrel gives you with your pancakes, I love those little free bottles!) of Texas Pete and vegetable oil.

If you can't stomach the food, it ain't gonna help ya!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    There's a lot of truth in that saying! I keep some of the fast food condiment packets in my gear. Stuff like salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper. I also keep a small bottle (it is one of the little syrup bottles that Cracker Barrel gives you with your pancakes, I love those little free bottles!) of Texas Pete and vegetable oil.

If you can't stomach the food, it ain't gonna help ya!
    Good info on the bottles, rep sent!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Good info on the bottles, rep sent!
    Thanks. I'm just cheap..........
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Still on fishin'?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    To me frog legs taste like fish flavored chicken. Better than many fish, much better than catfish. I prefer iguana but mostly just because they are bigger. Snakes and alligator that I happen to have had were much more tough and chewey. Turtle was disappointing, lot of work, little food. Pompano and crappie worth every bit of effort. Psychology is large part of survival.
    A lot has to do with the animal, where it was caught, the part of the animal your eating and how you prepare it.

You ever have some one that insists on cooking venison well done on the grill over a direct heat?

Frogs have more meat than just the legs. Our big frog is a pig frog. Well, actually our big frog is a poisonous toad that is also edible once you skin the toxin glands out. But, the pig frogs are worth cooking all the meat.

Hears a nice pig frog in bacon grease. You can see even though these are not nearly as big as them bull frogs some of y'all get up north, there is some good meat on the rest of the frog.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I learned that from Gerald Motes. He is the only professional frogger I know. That man is just plain deadly with a gig from the driver seat of his airboat.

Here's a video somebody did to pitch a show about Gerald. In this part of the glades where Gerald's camp is. I can hear the boats runnin from my back yard at night.

Gator is about the cut of meat, get all the fat off of it or it'll be swampy. And either cook it slow and low or high heat sear. I do the loin and tail meat (just the strip next to the bone). Not that nasty swamp crap they serve the tourists. LOL These two cuts are the prime cuts off of a gator. Then I like the jowl. I tenderize it with my stainless steel tenderizer, marinate and then dust it with a little Everglades Heat. Then I grill it over a medium high heat direct. Just don't over cook it or it will get tough.

Also the short ribs in a crock pot when done right with you preferred sauce is a culinary delight. If you was to put one of those ribs on top of your head. Your tongue would slap the brains out your head trying to get to it.

Turtle soup is awesome. We have a species of soft shell called Florida Soft Shell. They are a bit of work for the meat. But, our soft shells get large and you can catch them on fillet sunfish. So, you get a good deal of meat for the bait.

I am not a big fan of most freshwater fish. I'll eat them when someone who knows how to cook them does it. But, I was born in Pompano, Florida. A place that only had a house of refuge and the couple that tended to that house and salvaged wrecked ships. A group of surveyours went through and stopped at the house of refuge. The couple served them fish that they found so delightful that they marked the location on the map so that they could find it again. They simply wrote Pompano.

The iguana population took a hit down here with a cold snap we and some years ago and they are just coming back. You can catch them by using a stick with a noose on the end. They will watch you and if there is a fence between you and them they let you get close enough to slip it over their neck. Then if you have an enclosure their taste can be improved by feeding them kale or something like that for a week or two before butchering. I bet you could feed them spanish needles and wild hibiscus and get a damned good tasting meal out of them.

Banned

Default survival is being prepared to eat whatever fish kit catches, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Tot its about survival fishing kits?
    Good point, sorry I went off topic. Point I was making is even if you get in an area and your fishing kit catches something you would not normally eat. Try it anyway, you may like it.

I have caught bass on catfish hooks with stink bait, and catfish on live bait and crank bait lures. Fish don't read the labels on the product boxes. Turtles in the mouth or snagged while trying to catch anything but a turtle, also snagged many sucker fish (small mouth buffalo) while trying to fly fish for trout. I don't enjoy eating some turtle or sucker fish (or even catfish unless it is very fresh) but they are great if you are hungry so it is a good idea to actually prepare and eat these occasionally when not in a survivor situation so you know how or what to ask someone next time you see "bubba" (a good friend of mine) because some of these critters are not easy to figure out. Most rivers in my region have a lot of sucker fish and sometimes I can get very close to them and almost touch them (use a spear!). But catching them intentionally with hook in mouth can sometimes be more difficult or time consuming. If in an actual survival situation I want something fast and easy, obviously. Spearing "trash" sucker fish is legal in most states and rivers, so an easy skill to practice. Some people really like to eat these, and they are sold in supermarkets. Carp was a special holiday meal item traditionally in a few parts of Europe (not much any more.). Almost anything tastes good if it is very fresh, so cook and eat it within an hour of killing and cleaning it. Many fish can be "cleaned" with just your hands/fingers (remove guts) and cook whole with stick or on rock beside fire or eat raw after removal of certain internals. My daughters when very young got mad at me for cleaning the fish showing them the heart still beating when I opened it and then expecting them to eat it <30 minutes later. Survival is mostly psychological, best to get over that. Youngest still asks for the head because she likes the "cheek" or gill flap muscle, she is the emotionally strong one.

@Batch cool stuff, I like trying new things, good to know ways to prepare unusual critters.
    I was about 6 years old on the Tapajós River in Brazil when I tried alligator for the first time, never had any in restaurants as good. (Munduruku people knew how to prepare it.) So question is: What methods are best to catch them (if legal in the area)? Almost caught a small 12" alligator by hand when I was about 16 years old but it got away. We also had turtle eggs on the Tapajós, much easier to catch. lol
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-19-2014 at 01:11 AM. Reason: comment for Batch

Something else I just thought of...I keep a couple of three pronged hooks in my kit as well.
    Although it is illegal here in GA, an old practice my grandfather showed me as a child was quite effective. He called it "snatchin'".
    You see the fish in the water, usually sitting "on the bed" (where they lay the eggs).
    Gently lower the hook next to the fish and give a gentle snatch. You can catch several fish in a short period in this fashion.
    DISCLAIMER
    I do not condone or recommend ANY illegal activity, however in a survival situation, I believe you need to do whatever is necessary (within reason) to make it alive.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Banned

Default Gill net, low preference for me

A few of the reasons why a gill net is not in my fishing kit:
    1. In most of North America and Europe they are illegal and for an item in your kit to be effective it is imperative that you have experience using it. Practice is not just a good idea it is essential for survival. IMO
    2. Much like a trotline or limb line when a gill net is placed across a stream it quickly fills with leaves, loose vegetation and other debris and becomes ineffective.
    3. Predatory toothy fish, turtles, crabs, otters, heron, raccoons, bears and snakes etc. with often remove the fish from you gill net and trotline before you have a chance to check it. Sometimes they will severely damage the net to the point it is non-functional or completely gone. This is also true of fish left on an unattended stringer in the water.
    4. It takes a long time to make a gill net from cordage, but a game warden or any LEO on reasonable suspicion can check you bag and fine you for possession. Poaching is a serious crime in most states, therefore many sportsmen /women will be quick to make phone calls and may even send in photos/videos and electronically signed affidavits. This is even true if you are on private land that your great grandparents homesteaded 100+ years ago, because wildlife is a shared national resource. I know one local game warden that dresses like a civilian goes “picnicking” and “hiking” with his wife taking photos/videos of people not obeying the law. Then he returns to his pickup changes into his uniform and starts writing citations and making arrests if necessary. This particular stream even has an ordinance against casting nets for any use or reason, citizens are responsible for knowing all laws. One of the G.W. will not enforce that local ordinance. I make a special effort to get to know all local LEO and laws, and stay well within all guidelines.

Funny story about line item #3: I was wade fishing off Dauphin Island, Alabama and had caught some nice fish including one very large speckled trout (salt water drum fish, not true Salmonidae). It and others on my stringer were slowing me down so I left them with a large float and weight while I stayed within about 50 yards fishing. Time of month was full moon so the blue crabs were spawning (I had also caught about 40 of them with dip net and bucket). They exacted their “revenge” on me by devouring my s-trout on the stringer. So I learned yet another lesson about passive fishing, it ain’t that easy. Many sad stories about gill nets but they may be self-incriminating and/or took place in Latin America. Other side of Falcon Lake it is legal but no longer as safe as it was in the good old days for other reasons.

You do understand it's survival fishing, right?

Don't laugh but I have a Ronco Pocket Fisherman. I do need to add some stuff to it and this thread has given me ideas.

Banned

Default DIY Stink Bait made On-The-Trail for catfish and carp

DO NOT READ THIS COMMENT IF YOU ARE EATING OR ABOUT TO! There are a lot of prepared stink baits in tubs and bags that most of us would never put any where near our backpacks but in an real survival situation if we were passing by a pond, creek or river that had catfish or sucker fish such as buffalo or carp and we had packed or found some line, hooks, fabric and/or sponge then a DIY stink/dip bait might work better than almost any other bait to catch them. I prefer a simple kitchen sponge cut and put on a treble hook, but a plastic/vinyl tube with extra side holes or just natural fabric cloth or cord etc. works well in my experience. Single hooks will work but the sponge/fabric falls off more easily. Many versions of this are sold in fishing supply stores, but I was trying to emphasize “improvising it on the trail”. Likewise it may not be necessary to take a container for your stink bait because if you are packing out your trash you may have several bags or plastic bottles or find trash of others that will work. Then as a dipping device just use improvised forceps of a partially split green twig so your fingers do not get the smell of the stink bait up under your fingernails (this will be problem later when you are eating).

Finally (I hope you are not eating!!) for the DIY stink bait that you make/find “On-The-Trail” it comes from you! Your own feces or wild animal scatt found on the trail, put into the bag or container you saved or found. Dip the treble hook wrapped with fabric/sponge holding onto it with the split stick forceps and the cast into the pond, or eddy/deep pool of the stream. You can get fancy and mix in leftover rotting food and worms, grubs and berries but if it is a true survival situation the simpler and faster the better. More time and more baited hooks in the water the more fish you are likely to catch, simple math.

Now those not familiar with catfish probably understand why both Moses and Muhammad forbid their followers for eating fish with no scales. Personally I will not eat raw catfish and make sure all the entrails are removed and they are fully cooked, peel off its skin before or after cooking.

Banned

Default Avoid injury and wasted effort, time, energy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You do understand it's survival fishing, right?
    I may respectfully have a different view point than you Rick based on my experiences, but..

Absolutely, two of my most basic survival principles are to avoid unnecessary injury and wasted effort.

5. Fishing methods that require that the person get into the water such as a gill net or trotline can increase the risk of hypothermia. This is even possible in July and August if a cold front comes through. (in other situations I enjoy wade fishing)

6. Getting in and out of a steep muddy or rocky bank of a body of water can risk other bodily injury, but while fishing from the bank with a long pole (willow branch etc.) a person can reduce this risk.

7. Gill nets with fish attract venomous snakes such as “cotton mouth” which can hide in the leaves and other debris that accumulate in the net. Thus your risk of serious injury is greater. In other regions it may attract brown bears that are also dangerous. In my experience animals will almost always go for the easiest meal and when they find it can become very territorial.

I have more reasons why this is one of my least preferred method of catching fish in true survival situations. Do you want me to add more line items?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWolverine View Post
    Don't laugh but I have a Ronco Pocket Fisherman. I do need to add some stuff to it and this thread has given me ideas.
    I have had people laugh at my ultra lightweight gear then I caught the largest fish of the trip and they stopped laughing. Once a 11 lb 9 oz LM Bass on 6 lb line and tiny pole and reel. It took over 30 minutes but was fun. However a module system is best IMO because if one component fails you can still use the others and just improvise for what broke. If you can afford it spend money on good drag system in reel and sensitive tip in rod, most everything else can be somewhat compensated for.

Edit: I no longer prefer one brand over others much because what were once top brands now make low end gear and visa versa, new models come out constantly so swapping out parts in reels is not possible either they are almost all disposable. Reels fall onto sand so gears get badly damaged, tips beak off rods, so best to just learn to protect from this and have spares or learn to use backups like cast off line spinning from plastic bottle or can, use snare wire or wire leader to make a back up tip etc. or recoil line guides etc. also single strain copper wire which is easier to work with and you might find it in scrap or broken electronics etc.
    Ideally large diameter reels are best but small diameter work fine if line is new and freshly spooled and much more compact. Best to learn to use any reel type. My daughter learned to use a open spinning reel in Kindergarten then a few years later a fly rod, no reason to keep her constrained with just a bait-caster. However, she did catch a 22" catfish with a 3' pink Barbie pole in a small pond behind a church on a tiny hook with a cricket.
    Bottom line gear does not matter as much as basic skills and attitude.

Her grade school Principle told me after a science camp that she had been baiting everyone's hooks and helping them land and remove their fish from hooks, and giving them fishing tips in 5th grade. She told me none to this. Had out grown fishing, found it boring. But at least she developed some basic survival skills.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-19-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Edit: gear tips