Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing Kits

Cool find. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I made up a spice bottle kit like Crash showed. I just cut a willow branch and made a "cane" pole. We caught a couple of small sunfish, a bass and a large shiner about 8" long that would have made a great bait for a bigger bass. But, we were fishing a horse shoe pond and I had left the kit in camp a couple of hundred yards back and when I went to get a hook to put the shiner on. Sean set the shiner back in the water and it got off of the hook that it was caught on.

Its been a year because it was right around spring turkey last year. But, I think we used mainly bread on a bream hook. Though we tried a small jig head with a plastic body on it. In the past I have had luck with just a small Meps inline spinner run back and forth.

All I need for a survival fishing kit is heavy line, sinkers and hooks. Then use it all together to set a trot line, and improvise a floater.

Never really thought about having a 'survival fishing kit'. Will make plans with the son to make us some this weekend! will have a great activity.

I made what I call the world's smallest fishing kit. The container is one of those aluminum keychain pill bottles. It contains a snare wire, small hooks, monofil line, split shot, some eye screws, and one bobber manages to fill the empty space in the middle. It needn't be more sophisticated than that.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    I made what I call the world's smallest fishing kit. The container is one of those aluminum keychain pill bottles. It contains a snare wire, small hooks, monofil line, split shot, some eye screws, and one bobber manages to fill the empty space in the middle. It needn't be more sophisticated than that.
    Arizona has a lot less water than where I live. You wouldn't do well on the Mississippi or some of the lakes we have around here with that.... Catfish get big enough to swallow a man!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Arizona has a lot less water than where I live. You wouldn't do well on the Mississippi or some of the lakes we have around here with that.... Catfish get big enough to swallow a man!...
    Lolz, yea it's got limitations. Of course, in a survival situation you don't need to go for the big boys. You can get by on fish from a small stream. I think the point of those kits is just to give you the ability to get a baited hook in the water. It's not really going to give you many guarantees beyond that.

I don't usually pack a dedicated fishing kit, but there is usually some tackle that finds it way in somewhere. I prefer braided line which works extremely well as heavy duty thread for clothing repairs or sewing up leather. I used to pack a small hank of upholstery thread until I realized that braided line was actually stronger.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I don't usually pack a dedicated fishing kit, but there is usually some tackle that finds it way in somewhere. I prefer braided line which works extremely well as heavy duty thread for clothing repairs or sewing up leather. I used to pack a small hank of upholstery thread until I realized that braided line was actually stronger.
    Yea, that's one thing I'm missing. I recently heard about braided line too. I'm not a big fisherman, but I heard somewhere that you want your line to be near invisible, which is why braided line is not ideal. But it is stronger and can be stored in small spaces more easily. It doesn't have the memory that monofil line has, so it won't coil up on you.

I've lived in Alaska for most of my life and have caught hundreds of fish. I have fished with both mono and braided and can't tell a lick of difference in their ability to catch fish. Braided can occasionally be a little more expensive, but for virtually I un-breakable line it's worth a few cents more. I will say that fishing for halibut and salmon usually involves dark water so the fish "seeing" the line might be why it's not much of an issue up here. To each their own.

Me-"Exactly."

I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes. I think that the rule of thumb was to make as little signature in the water as possible, aside from the visual attractant of your lure or bait. It's like hunters who get decked out in face paint and ghillie suits, vs. the guys who wear blaze orange and blue jeans. In the end it may not matter that much.

I keep a frog gig head in my kit - makes a nice lightweight fish spear and for spearing other critters too !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I keep a frog gig head in my kit - makes a nice lightweight fish spear and for spearing other critters too !
    That's actually a great idea! Amazon has some for less than $10, I think I shall pick one up. Don't have frogs up here but it would work great for small fish.

Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    That's actually a great idea! Amazon has some for less than $10, I think I shall pick one up. Don't have frogs up here but it would work great for small fish.
    Grind down an old spade bit - cheaper still.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can also use a glass bit for a spear point. They are about 6 bucks or so.

Or three nails (yes I carry a few nails in my kit).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Here's an idea...

I've caught bullfrogs with nothing more than a fishing pole and an empty hoo, although a small leaf works a bit better I believe. Just hunker down so the frog can't see you and dangle the "bait" in front of him. I've had frogs jump all the way up the bank to where I was at so's I could club 'em chasing the thing!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I can't imagine being in an environment that has bull frogs, or being inclined to hunt them, but if I was, then I'd certainly just shoot them with a pellet gun. That would be the perfect tool for the job.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this....

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    I can't imagine being in an environment that has bull frogs, or being inclined to hunt them, but if I was, then I'd certainly just shoot them with a pellet gun. That would be the perfect tool for the job.
    You see, ninja dude, this particular thread is on survival fishing kits; and since frog's legs are yummy, using your emergency fishing kit to catch them is one way to sustain yourself. If, however, you wish to lug around a pellet gun and shoot them...well, a .22 would do the same thing, however that is not congruent with survival tactics.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default Survival Fishing Kits

I've never had frogs legs before. Anyone want to throw some in a box and mail them up to me???

Me-"Exactly."