Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Fishing Kits

I carry a fishing kit aswell in a plastic cigarbox.. It has a couple hooks and leads in different sizes, some strong fishing line that's ment for carp fishing but that's great for any type of fish, it also has 5 softbaits from big to small, a selfmade spinner and a small float/bobber.

I do not carry any bait for my hooks, there is plenty of live bait out there.
    Heading "Into the wild" by May 2013
    Follow me at http://thedutchhermit.blogspot.nl/

So has anyone actually caught any fish on their "survival fishing kit".....Pic's?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not exactly, but....

..many years ago, I was messing with a friend of mine, about who was the better fisherman. I wasn't very serious about it, but he was hard core, and had fits about how good he was. I had to rub him the wrong way and tell him that he had wasted tons of money on all his fancy fishing equipment. To prove this point, I challenged him to a fishing contest at a friends pond,that weekend. I stopped at a local tackle shop and got one of those little hook, bobber and line wrapped around a piece of cardboard things for $.99. I showed up at the pond with just that. I broke off a sapling to use as a pole and turned over logs, etc., until I found some worms. I caught the first fish, the biggest fish and the most fish.

Come to think of it....he hasn't fished with me since that day. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Always made me wonder....who smarter the fish or the fisherman......
    Thats why I like spark plug fishing from the bank......
    Tie on a spark plug, cat it out sit down in your lawn chair, pop a brewski drink it and take a nap.....

Sooner or later you are either gonna catch something on that spark plug, or run out of beer,,,,in either case it's time to go home.

I haven't used that little spice bottle set-up I made, but as a kid it was usually fishing with a hand line - no pole - same concept. Guess I'll have to try it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think fish were dumber then.....we could catch blue gills for a boat...that was tied up, all day long.....fish under the boat just at the shadow, with a hand line and corn kernels.

I had a buddy that owned a Pink Ouachita Inboard/Outboard (I won't tell you what we called it) and pulled it with a brand new '73 Riviera. I told him the way I figured it he had about $48.53 a pound in the fish he caught.

I was a cane pole man myself. I did finally step up to a Zebco.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Always made me wonder....who smarter the fish or the fisherman......
    Thats why I like spark plug fishing from the bank......
    Tie on a spark plug, cat it out sit down in your lawn chair, pop a brewski drink it and take a nap.....

Sooner or later you are either gonna catch something on that spark plug, or run out of beer,,,,in either case it's time to go home.
    Yeah, I fished with a spark plug before when I was just a tadpole...caught me a rusted out '53 Chevy...damn!......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Trout season opened in Delaware Saturday. They stock two ponds (formerly called dirt pits) with rainbows and golden rainbows. Upstate they stock the creeks coming out of the Piedmont.
    Caught 3 opening day with my ultralight rod and Zebco Original 11. Salmon egg-colored doughball powerbait on a #12 hook.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

This is my survival fish kit, yes I have caught fish/turtles with it. I like to set it up in moving water. No pictures because it catches the fish with out me needing to be there. Using more than one just increases your odds.
    Good for snare's too I'm told, but I have never tried that.

http://www.amazon.com/SINGLE-WHITES-.../dp/B005IX3PCO
    Dave

Face Fear With Knowledge

fear: is defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat

Knowledge: is defined as (i) expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject

I have a Skoals tin in my BOB that holds about 50 feet of 4lb mono line, several sized hooks, split shot, and some lures. It is small and I have no doubt will catch fish!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a small fishing kit, that packs into a one quart freezer bag, I keep in my lumbar pack. This pack is the one I carry with me when I'm out and about and I use the fishing kit on a regular basis.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

"Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Found a couple of these at a yard sale, $5 bucks each.....bought both and threw them in each truck.....

Added some rubber red worms and a couple of jigs....

I love a Travel Mate expandable pole with a zebco 11 button caster. weighs only a few ounces and then you have a real pole and reel in your kit. I put my pole in a schedule 20 pvc pipe with a cap and plug. I'd like to find something I could keep my reel and pole attached to protect it but is still light weight. I could do it in a 3" pvc pipe, but it weighs a ton.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

I use to carry a trot line, now I'm using 8lb test about 25' tied to a stick, an assortment of fishin hooks, and lures. The weights I cast 36 to 45 caliber rifle ball. and split them, I'll use washers or nuts for weights. The bait is whatever I can find. Don't laugh I even tried gum.....It amazin what you'll do when your hard up.

I love to fish even when Im not in a survival type situation so I carry a collapsible fishing pole in my pack with an assortment of hooks and mr twisters along with my most trusted reel. I have a roll of xtra line sinkers and well pretty much what ya need to catch just about anything. I do like the net idea but Im more inclined to trout line a creek when I come across it. I know I know trout lines are a touch illegal in most states but very effective.

I put a few jigs, hooks, line and sinkers in a Skoals can. Very compact and holds all you really need!

Yo...that IS a nice video, Crash! Thanks for reposting that!

Heads up! Free e-book today, 03/01/2014, at Amazon:

Hobo Handlines and the Survival Fishing Kit: A Short Guide to Making and Using a Survival Fishing Kit (The Survival Kit Series)

http://www.amazon.com/Hobo-Handlines.../dp/B00CJIXGQ6

Super. Thanks! I downloaded it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.