Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best handy fishing bait ?

Default Best handy fishing bait ?

Here is a little test that everyone can add some imput on.No answer is wrong,and it may help some one.
    Here is the question- suppose your stranded,rescue will be several days possibly weeks away.You have some fishing line,a few hooks and some misc odds and ends.You have shelter,fire and are near a fishable stream.What would be your technique for catching fish,you have no bait,what would you use for bait?.......

I would look for some insects such as grasshoppers, crickets, palmetto bugs ( I live in Florida), earth worms, beetles and grubs. I always pack fishing hooks (single & treble), and a few artificials (plastic beetle spin grubs). You can entice small minnows with bread if you have some. I've even caught small sunfish with bread balls .
    I've caught BASS with strips of white t-shirt material on a single hook. Small lizards, frogs, and toads make good bait too and are easy to catch.

Improvise, adapt, overcome and survive...

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by DomC; 02-08-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

When nothing else is to be had, nip about an inch or so of 550 cord and thread it on like a worm up and over the eye. Then fray out the tail over the hook. It makes a convincing "bug" in a pinch. I've caught everything from bass to trout and perch on them.
    IMG_20140125_140755_zpsd666154a.jpg
    The most valuable thing to ever invest in is... KNOWLEDGE.

Where I PREFER to be is outside, someplace far away from modern madness. BUT, you can also find some accounts of such disappearances HERE: https://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa
    http://rescueropes.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    When nothing else is to be had, nip about an inch or so of 550 cord and thread it on like a worm up and over the eye. Then fray out the tail over the hook. It makes a convincing "bug" in a pinch. I've caught everything from bass to trout and perch on them.
    IMG_20140125_140755_zpsd666154a.jpg
    Had to give you some rep for that one, Rangefinder.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I've cuaght sunfish on just a shiney gold hook before but theres always some sort of bugs around to use for bait - at least in the area I live in. I've also made minnow imitating lures out of aluminum foil. Ya just got to improvise when the chips are down !

You could just set up a sabiki rig and carry it in your kit. We use just gold hooks rigged in a sabiki style.

A little piece of beef jerky will catch bluegills, and it stays on the hook pretty good as well! IN my large backpack, I carry one of the small bottles of salmon eggs. They last a long time and small fish of any kind cannot resist them!

If intersted, I did a video on my youtube channel where I did some "bushcraft" fishing. I cut a willow branch and using it as a fishing pole, I then attached a length of monofiliment and a small fishing hook from my "survival" fishing kit. I then showed how I go out and get some insects to put on the hook. I then catch a couple Grayling with this setup. Man it was fun. The video is called "Bushcraft Fishing"

Just look underneath old rotted stumps and you will find grubs. Fish cannot resist them and if you don't catch ny fish, eat your leftover grubs!

I go fishing quite frequently, and I catch my own bait almost each and every time I do so (with a cast net). If I were stranded, and didn't have much, I'd look for a forked stick, use the shirt off my back to make a rather large dip net and catch some minnows. It's always a wise strategy to use what's already in a larger fish's diet

I always get strange looks from other fishermen...sitting on the bank next to my large tote for shad, using a bobber...they ask what I'm fishing for, and I reply "flathead".

Another thing you can always do...is if there aren't any minnows, and you do find some worms or grubs, and end up catching something with those but it's too small...don't throw it back...that puppy becomes bait.
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself

In my state it's illegal to use puppies for bait.
    Wilderness Survival:

Well yeah. Using puppies is just sick. Now kittens is a different matter all together.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Don't pick on cats

Quote Originally Posted by aktrekker View Post
    Don't pick on cats
    Yeah, don't pick on cats, they're my favorite white meat !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Didn't you know pets are survival food? As DC says, live food don't spoil.

Ok,those are all good answers and will be helpful to anyone reading this.Here is something to chew on,I will call it,Guess the bait.What bait is good to catch fish,everyone has it,some have more than others,everyone always has some with them,if you run out,you can get more for free.You can loan some to your buddy,and they can loan some to you.This bait has been around for generations,yet has never been marketed to the public.This bait requires no Refridgeration,it never spoils,in fact,this bait only gets better with age.this bait has no known function ( other than a fish bait).this bait will work whether ice fishing or open water.This bait works very well on small to medium fish as well as for crawdads.This bait is easy to carry yet during strenuous exertion can cause labored breathing.This bait is self contained for a no muss,no fuss experience.I could go on and on about this wounderous miracle bait,but now it's your turn,can anyone guess what this bait is?

found feather or fur and lash to a safety pin that I aways have on me. Makeshift fly rod (sapling and bank line). Works great on panfish

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well yeah. Using puppies is just sick. Now kittens is a different matter all together.
    Never said nothing about kittens...
    Wilderness Survival:

Well, talking about the ages-old conundrum of..."Do I use this for bait, or do I eat it?" Is making me hungry.

thats-suspicious.jpg
    Last edited by WhiteHorse3340; 02-21-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: because.
    The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself