Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Assistance Sought: Gerber BMF and original LMF Knives

Greetings. I had one of these, stolen in a burglary.

This information covers a lot of the basics:

cutlerscoveDOTcom/survival-knives/gerber-bmf3.htm

Gerber BMF Basic Multi-Function Survival Knife System that is near mint, not sharpened, and is an early model with a shorter blade and different grind than the models that came out during the last years of production. This one is serial number 015320 which means it came out in the first year of production, which was 1986. It was probably made at the end of the first year. It has the chisel tooth saw on the blade spine. It is a beauty and very heavy duty!

Recent addition Gerber BMF

First year of production: Compare this model specs of 13" overall with a 8" modified clip point stainless blade with the specs of the last production model.

Last production model: It was Gerber's largest knife at 14.5 inches overall, 5/32 inch thick, with a 8-3/4 inch modified clip point 440-A stainless at the end of production around 1998. See comparison photos below.

The black Cordura sheath comes complete with a belt loop and leg strap assembly. It has military belt metal hooks (Alice clips) and has a diamond sharpener attached to the back side. It has a pouch for extra storage and comes with a Silva compass made in Sweden. The Alice clips are not removable. This knife was very popular during Desert Storm.

The following is from the Gerber web site:
    Brad Parrish began his career working in the Gerber plant in 1974. During the 1980's Brad began making prototype models and progressed to design. His designs include the BMF, LMF, Magnum LST, Magnum Jr., Pro-guide series, The Gator and Gator Mate series, E-Z Out Series, Spectre, Yari and the AR. Brad's work has resulted in multiple design patents. The 1994 Gerber catalog has a color photo of Brad on page 3.

The following is from the information sheet that came with the early knives: Basic Multi-Function Survival Knife System™
    Gerber's BMF is the latest generation of survival knives. From its conception, the BMF was carefully researched and engineered to be the best survival knife available today.

This tough, heavy duty survival system is designed to withstand heavy use under the most extreme conditions. The 8-inch blade is ground from tough 1/4 inch thick high carbon surgical stainless steel, with Rockwell hardness of c54-55. We have purposely lowered the hardness several points to increase toughness. The chisel tooth saw is the result of countless experiments until we knew it was "just right". It is designed for aggressive cutting of wood and other materials. The blade and stainless steel guards and but cap are treated with a non-reflective finish. The butt cap is specifically designed to endure heavy pounding, and is firmly attached to the full length blade tang. The most unique feature of the BMF is its revolutionary handle of highly compressed DuPont Hypalon. Hypalon's semi-soft composition cushions the hand during heavy use, and provides a comfortable positive grip. Each BMF is hand-adjusted so that the point of balance is approximately at the front guard, which makes it comfortable to use, even during extended periods of heavy usage.

As much engineering and designed time went into the BMF sheath as the knife itself. Blackie Collins really "did himself proud" on this one. This sheath is made from black, heavy-duty DuPont Cordura and reinforced to provide protection for both the blade and user. Loaded with features, the sheath is specifically designed as a superior alternative to the hollow handle for carrying life sustaining and support accessories. It is compact and without protrusions to snag on brush or other objects in the field. Engineered to be silent, there are no hard surfaces other than rivets. A pocket at the top the sheath holds a quality, liquid-filled, jeweled compass. Permanently attached to the back of the sheath is a fine grain diamond sharpening hone, which is protected by a nylon cover when not in use. A unique accessory strap on the front of the sheath allows a folding knife sheath, survival, or other equipment to be attached. ALICE clips allow the BMF to be attached to standard issue military battle dress and harnesses. The ALICE clips are removable so that the BMF can be worn on a conventional belt. The BMF can be tied down to the leg or lashed to other equipment with nylon cord supplied with each sheath. Dated 6/86.

The BMF was introduced in January 1986 and
    discontinued around the end of 1998.

I don't know that the dates are correct. The alloy is. I got one of the Cutlery Shoppe licensed pieces:

michaelzwilliamsonDOTcom/images/gerber_bmf.jpg

Which is an inch longer, has no back quillon, and was $159 in 1987 when I was on active duty.

Mine was SN #250 or so from that production run, which was, IIRC, 1000 blades.

Hello, I bought a Gerber BMF when on leave in the army (British army stationed in Belize)' I bought it somewhere in a mall in Miami, and used it often in the jungle when on patrol etc. The serial number is 021188, the compass is a Silva "starter" graduated in degrees (not mils like I'm used to). Unfortunately the sheath fell to bits after a few years. When I am able, I will try and get some photos on here for you.

Thanks to the internet, I found a replacement. Ironically from the person whose photo I used as a sample. Seems he had two.
    Recent work:

TOUR OF DUTY: STORIES AND PROVOCATIONS, Baen Books, Sep 2013
    HOW TO SURVIVE THE END OF THE WORLD, National Geographic Channel, 2014 (props and consulting)
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

Hi Daniel,
    Just got my first BMF today and am about to purchase a second. Your pics of the 6 types of BMF's is no longer visible so I can't see which one you were referring to as being the most scarce. Please let me know as I became an instant fan of this blade when I received my first one!

MKCMUSTANG

Had another question....How rare are the OD green LMF's? I've seen an LMF 1 with an OD green handle and sheath for sale recently. It's identical to the black version and has no saw teeth.

Daniel hasn't logged on in almost a year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Daniel hasn't logged on in almost a year.
    And a pity that is too, as I am a BMF fan with an unused one in fresh out of the box condition, and currently negotiating purchasing a second. I was hoping this thread might be the ultimate BMF reference.
    Last edited by subwoofer; 03-05-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Here are the only photos I have right now of my BMF amongst a few other blades:

Buck Woodsman, Wilkinson Sword Hunter, Gerber BMF, SOG Northwest Hunter, Wilkinson Sword Utility

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things....
    A few pictures of my collection
    More of my Reviews can be found here

Mine badly wants to rust. I bead blasted it clean, and keep it oiled and out of the sheath
    Recent work:

TOUR OF DUTY: STORIES AND PROVOCATIONS, Baen Books, Sep 2013
    HOW TO SURVIVE THE END OF THE WORLD, National Geographic Channel, 2014 (props and consulting)
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelZWilliamson View Post
    Mine badly wants to rust. I bead blasted it clean, and keep it oiled and out of the sheath
    So I have read. It seems many of these want to rust. I have kept mine in its sheath since day one. Every now and then it gets a wipe with a silicone cloth and not even the merest hint of trying to rust.
    I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things....
    A few pictures of my collection
    More of my Reviews can be found here

My girl friend has a BMF that is from Cutterly Shoppe, the 9" blade version with the gimping, believe that's what it was called here, on it. Serial N0, CS0428. The sheath also does not have the Gerber logo on the front and has no compass with it.

Interesting and informative thread.

Hello, just read your post, I own a BMF from 1990's in excellent condition. #034741. I bought it somewhere in the Boston area.

Well boys....Welcome......But the OP hasn't been around for over a year.
    There is an Intro section if y'all want to jump in....still seems to be some interest in this thread over the years....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nope..I only have a small mini Gerber folding knife which I have misplaced somewhere . It costs about US$10 and the Bear Grylls Gerber paracord knife which was made in China which came with a 3' feet length paracord although it stated 45"...That's about all the Gerber knife I can take,.Stop with Gerber immediately after that.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Default Gerber BMF info

I have a BMF I got it new in the late 80's or early 90's and have used it all these years and it's still a great knife. Serial number is 026304 and the compass is a Silva type 12 Sweden. Hope this helps you outNCM_0030.jpgNCM_0031.jpgNCM_0032.jpgNCM_0033.jpgNCM_0034.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well boys....Welcome......But the OP hasn't been around for over a year.
    There is an Intro section if y'all want to jump in....still seems to be some interest in this thread over the years....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Quote Originally Posted by defense1 View Post
    I have a BMF I got it new in the late 80's or early 90's and have used it all these years and it's still a great knife. Serial number is 026304 and the compass is a Silva type 12 Sweden. Hope this helps you outNCM_0030.jpgNCM_0031.jpgNCM_0032.jpgNCM_0033.jpgNCM_0034.jpg
    I'm gonna repeat the intro invitation..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nighteyes, This is Larry427 in CO. I still have 6-7 of the original Gerber LMF's and I will get pic and info for you. Larry

Doesn't anyone read posts? Daniel hasn't been around for over a year.

Rick, Daniel has replied to every post in this thread...

The last time he logged on was August 22, 2014. Before that it was in 2013. If folks post something to him expecting a reply then they will have a long wait.