Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistance Sought: Gerber BMF and original LMF Knives

Default Assistance Sought: Gerber BMF and original LMF Knives

Greetings to all,

I recently joined this board, primarily due to AR-7's posting about his Gerber BMF knife. I am developing the definitive history of the Gerber BMF, and original LMF, knives for use by collectors and others.

I have been working directly with Gerber, but unfortunately their historical information can best (and most diplomatically) be described as "spotty". So, I am now developing a knife-by-knife database. If any of you have one or more Gerber BMF knives, and/or original Gerber LMF, knives, please help me out.

What I sorely need are (a) the serial number on the blade, (b) photos of the blade --there are four variations, (c) photos of the logo on the sheath -- there are three variations, (d) photos of the back of the sheath at the top -- there are three variations, and (e) for the BMF only, photos of the included compass -- there are two.

Thanks!

-- Nighteyes

Sadly, Daniel has passed on. Please feel free to comment in the thread for the benefit of others though.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-25-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added info

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I'm not ignoring you, I just have never owned such a knife.

At one point I strongly considered getting one, but I also was strongly poor so made do with the knives My Dad had given me / or a few I beat / ground out of found metal.

Then I discovered some of the writings of the older guys like kephart and nessmuk and my thinking on knives changed and I started carrying a axe, and smaller knives.

Not I am still a fan of small fixed blade knives (providing 4 - 6 inch blades are small to you).

I have again developed a love for larger knives, typically 8 - 15 inch blades. I find ones like the condor kumunga and bowie styles, and stuff like the Becker BK9 to fit the bill for these blades.

I guess things go in circles for me.

The BMF seems to be a nearly indestructable blade from all I have heard, whether or not one prefers its style.

I wish I could help and should I run up on anyone with one I will attempt to gather your info and pass it on.

Good hunting

Thad

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I owned the LMF but it was stolen with other knives six years ago. The knife I had had a bead blasted blade and a dense foam handle with a nylon sheath. I wish I had the knife still and could help you. When I was in the Marine Corps many Marines carried those knives.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Hi Daniel.

You already knows about my knife as much as me

Here is a picture of the serial number...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

And a photo of the compass (now part of my Eskabar kit).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

As soon as I can I will make a better photo of the compass (a Silva Starter) and I will post it.

Sorry I can't do more to help you...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You would get much better response if you ask us about our Moras!

It is difficult to believe that a company would serialize a blade and then not keep up with the changes they made in that series. That sort of confirms my belief that these companies do everything they do as marketing hype.

"Each 999.9% pure gold clad coin with a seperate serial number and a cirtificate of authenticity yours today only for only $19.95!! But wait........!!!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't know what they cost new, but I looked up those and it seems they #350 +?

The only way I would spend that much money on a knife, is if I know the maker and it was custom made for me.
    So sorry, didn't know about them till y'all brought it up.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-29-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It is difficult to believe that a company would serialize a blade and then not keep up with the changes they made in that series. That sort of confirms my belief that these companies do everything they do as marketing hype.
    Yep, me too. However, one must remember that Gerber was purchased by Fiskars many years back. In my dealings with them on this project, I begin to think that much "corporate memory" was lost during the transition. For example, the only Gerber BMF stock photo I have ever seen shows three saw-backed versions -- none of which ever actually made it into production!

Gerber BMF Photograph.JPG

Of course, that's only my two-hundredths of a dollar.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 03-31-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Add picture

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I don't know what they cost new, but I looked up those and it seems they #350 +?

The only way I would spend that much money on a knife, is if I know the maker and it was custom made for me.
    So sorry, didn't know about them till y'all brought it up.
    The present-day price is because they've been out of production since 1997, and have become collector's items. Their list prices weren't nearly that much.

Daniel, I recall in the mid 90's that AG Russel had some BMF variants with only a single guard.

I came up with a ton of images doing a google image search for Gerber BMF.
    Last edited by Winter; 03-31-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Daniel, I recall in the mid 90's that AG Russel had some BMF variants with only a single guard.
    There are a number of variants that Gerber made for other firms. For example, I saw one made for the Cutlery Shoppe, complete with a serial number beginning with "CS-", that had a slightly modified non-sawbacked blade and a studded D-guard. The sheath had no logo, compass pouch or accessory strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    The present-day price is because they've been out of production since 1997, and have become collector's items. Their list prices weren't nearly that much.
    Gotcha, so this is a quest?
    What should I be looking for at knife and gun shows?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I came up with a ton of images doing a google image search for Gerber BMF.
    Yup, me too. Unfortunately, most of the serial numbers aren't visible, so they are of limited use. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Gotcha, so this is a quest?
    What should I be looking for at knife and gun shows?
    I'm trying to develop a definitive history of them, for use by collectors and such. No one has done so, and I think its a worthwhile project. Gerber has practically no information on them, and misinformation abounds. I'm trying to develop my own database of BMFs so that I can begin to get some idea of what serial numbers were produced in what year. There are several variables that will help.

I know one fellow who did this for the Gerber Mark II and another who did it with the Buck 184 "Buckmaster." None of us is likely to get a dime for our efforts, but that wasn't/isn't the point.

Like many projects, the journey is the reward.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Like many projects, the journey is the reward.
    Ahhh, yes. The Quest.

The journey so far as been most interesting. I "found" one Gerber BMF that probably should not exist outside of the Gerber factory, because it was most likely a prototype that never went into production. But there it was on eBay, and it even had a serial number. A true one-of-a-kind...

UPDATE: I just "found" another one on Photobucket, and its serial number is very close to the previous one. It doesn't have a sheath, so some other identifying marks aren't available.

Gerber records make no mention of a "fifth model", and since it has characteristics similar to a "First-Pattern" blade, my present speculation is that they did not distinguish this modification from the original. (Sorta like Ontario has done with their Mark 3 Mod 0 knives.)

H-m-m-m-m-m-m.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-03-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Update

And NOW I've "found" a non-sawback knife with the same 7.75-inch blade but a different grind on the false edge. Gerber has no record of this one, either.

Somehow, I think, the task of documenting these knives is gonna be quite a bit more difficult than I imagined (and my imagination is quite active). G-r-r-r!

AH the ol memories. I had both the LMF and the BMF back in the late 80's didn't care for either of them enought to keep em. Neither had a saw back blade.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    AH the ol memories. I had both the LMF and the BMF back in the late 80's didn't care for either of them enought to keep em. Neither had a saw back blade.
    And I LOVED the LMF (still have it), while being rather "ho-hum" about the BMF (got rid of it). Like you, neither knife had the sawback blade.

Now, with that said, these knives are still worth documenting. Anyone who has an example of either is strongly invited to add your knife to my database. It currently contains better than 250 BMFs, by the way. (The original Gerber LMFs have proven to be somewhat more difficult to document...)

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Hi Nighteyes... I have one, first year of production I think. Has the sawtooth blade back. Serial number is 003775, with a "SILVA" Swedish compass. No military type clip of sheath back, rectangular logo, lt brown thread on black. Still want pics?