Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistance Sought: Gerber BMF and original LMF Knives

Nighteyes I was afraid I didnt have the right sheath with my BMF. When you get your notes back let me know what sheath my BMF serial number 012799 should have. Should it be all gold stiching and different Alice clips. I had a Knife dealer ask me where the pins were. I am not sure what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Ahhh, yes. The Quest.

Gerber records make no mention of a "fifth model", and since it has characteristics similar to a "First-Pattern" blade, my present speculation is that they did not distinguish this modification from the original. (Sorta like Ontario has done with their Mark 3 Mod 0 knives.)

H-m-m-m-m-m-m.
    Daniel,

speakin of which....ONTARIO..........Mk 3 Mod O knives......whats the 'story' on these??? Just recently acquired one........suposedly made for the SEALs...true or marketing hype ?? Mine is also marked '2V376'......serial number or not ??

Harry
    "use enough gun......"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
    Daniel,

speakin of which....ONTARIO..........Mk 3 Mod O knives......whats the 'story' on these??? Just recently acquired one........suposedly made for the SEALs...true or marketing hype ?? Mine is also marked '2V376'......serial number or not ??

Harry
    Bushman,

First, the disclaimer: I am by no means well-versed in the Mark 3 Mod 0 knife. Now, with that said, "SEAL Knife" is incorrect. They are general utility knives, which I believe are (or were -- again, not well-versed in them) issued to a whole danged lot of folks. My original statement had to do with the fact that, although they modified the original blade profile, they kept on referring to them as "Mod 0."

The 2V376 marking is not a serial number. Both of my new-in-the-box Mark 3 Mod 0 knives have the same marking.

-- Nighteyes

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma cowboy View Post
    Nighteyes I was afraid I didnt have the right sheath with my BMF. When you get your notes back let me know what sheath my BMF serial number 012799 should have. Should it be all gold stiching and different Alice clips. I had a Knife dealer ask me where the pins were. I am not sure what that meant.
    Oklahoma cowboy,

First, I'm pretty sure the knife dealer was confusing your BMF with a Buck 184 "Buckmaster". The 184s came with a pair of grappling pins that screwed into the guard, which people frequently removed and then misplaced. The knives were contemporary competitors, and both came with Silva Type 12 compasses.

Here is a Buck 184 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Model-1...item19d6d6dfa6

Now, as to the appropriate sheath for your BMF: It should have the silver-on-black logo, and a Bianchi belt clip on the back. It should also have a Silva Type 12 compass. Unfortunately, both sheath and compass are extremely hard to find. Knives are durable while sheaths are not, and compasses are easily broken or lost.

Hope this helps!

-- Nighteyes

Now, as for your BMF, it is clearly one that has the longer (8 inches or so), "Third-Pattern" blade.
    Correction -- that should have read "9 inches or so".

-- N.E.

N.E.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. I have the starter compass and I have seen a couple of the type 12 compass but they fetch a high price. I had wondered if the 184 is what the dealer was talking about because it comes with a type 12 compass too. I just got another 9in BMF in and it has the all white stiching but not sure it is the right knife for it. The knife serial is 031997. I think it should be in the gold and white sheath and my BMF 012799 should go with the 031997 sheath. I hope you are writing a book about all of this. It could be very useful to a lot of collectors. Thank you again for you help N.E
    OK cowboy

N.E.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. I have the starter compass and I have seen a couple of the type 12 compass but they fetch a high price. I had wondered if the 184 is what the dealer was talking about because it comes with a type 12 compass too. I just got another 9in BMF in and it has the all white stiching but not sure it is the right knife for it. The knife serial is 031997. I think it should be in the gold and white sheath and my BMF 012799 should go with the 031997 sheath. I hope you are writing a book about all of this. It could be very useful to a lot of collectors. Thank you again for you help N.E
    OK cowboy
    OK Cowboy,

Three things:

First, if the Silva Starter compass you have is an original, and you'd like to have an also-original Silva Type 12, let's talk! An original looks exactly like this:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Second, and oddly enough, your new Gerber BMF is already in my database! I got the information from a Worthpoint listing some time back. Not sure what you meant by "all white stitching" -- do you refer to the logo? If so, that's the correct logo for a knife in that serial number range.

Like this:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Third, it is definitely my goal to publish my findings in some way, for the benefit of other collectors. Though it may be in booklet form, 'tis far more likely to be some kind of website or web page. I'm just getting to the point that I'd be comfortable "publishing" a first-draft version of the data online, with the understanding that NOTHING should yet be carved into stone. So far I have records covering 411 BMFs, and 184 original LMFs. Though Gerber can neither confirm nor deny it, my search has consistently suggested that the BMFs outsold the LMFs by a factor of about 2 to 1. That's unfortunate because, in my decidedly personal opinion, the original LMF is a much more usable knife.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Thank you again Nighteyes. I do want an orginal type 12 compass.
    silva starter.jpg This is my Silva starter compass I have. I think its orginal. It needs a cord but I am not sure what kind to purchase for it. Private message me on the type 12. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money. I did mean white stiching on the Logo. If you have it in your database do you want a picture of it?
    Thanks again Cowboy

Thank you again Nighteyes. I do want an orginal type 12 compass.
    silva starter.jpg This is my Silva starter compass I have. I think its orginal. It needs a cord but I am not sure what kind to purchase for it. Private message me on the type 12. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money.
    Your compass certainly looks like an original Starter. Most Silva compasses that were packaged with BMFs had brass chains instead of cords -- just like yours -- so I wouldn't be too worried on that count.

Will PM you to work up a trade.

Nighteyes I have the BMF 9in saw back 035174 with the white stitching and the bianchi clips. Mine was missing the compass when I bought it, but there is a pouch for it and there is a shapner on the back. There is one of the Austrailian models (035980) up for sale on ebay as of the 19th that also did not come with a compass. I can try to get pics if you need them but that would be when my wife is around to help lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Bob View Post
    Nighteyes I have the BMF 9in saw back 035174 with the white stitching and the bianchi clips. Mine was missing the compass when I bought it, but there is a pouch for it and there is a shapner on the back. There is one of the Austrailian models (035980) up for sale on ebay as of the 19th that also did not come with a compass. I can try to get pics if you need them but that would be when my wife is around to help lol.
    Thanks, Lost Bob. I will add your knife to my database. Already have the one you mentioned that's on eBay. That Seller has been selling a lot of 'em over the past couple of years. I have corresponded with her.

AFAIK, all the BMFs came from Gerber with a compass -- those that seem to have come without a compass were probably previously-owned or the victim of pilferage.

Folks,

Over the years I have managed to collect quite a number of Gerber BMFs, original LMFs, and even a couple of Mark IIs. Quite frankly, I need to thin them out a bit.

Were I to post a few of them -- the less-than-perfect ones of course -- as being up for sale, would there be any interest on this Board? Should I decide to post them, of course, I would detail each/every wart and blemish and shortcoming.

What say you?

Folks,

Over the years I have managed to collect quite a number of Gerber BMFs, original LMFs, and even a couple of Mark IIs. Quite frankly, I need to thin them out a bit.

Were I to post a few of them -- the less-than-perfect ones of course -- as being up for sale, would there be any interest on this Board? Should I decide to post them, of course, I would detail each/every wart and blemish and shortcoming.

What say you?
    I may be interested.

I purchased another BMF its serial number is 008785 is that one in your database?

No it isn't, though I have "near-misses" both above and below that number. Line inserted, awaiting pics and descriptions. Thanks!

Default Gerber BMF

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hi Nighteyes... I have one, first year of production I think. Has the sawtooth blade back. Serial number is 003775, with a "SILVA" Swedish compass. No military type clip of sheath back, rectangular logo, lt brown thread on black. Still want pics?
    Hello all, I found this forum while reserching information on the Gerber BMF, I had one that I purchased while in the USMC, and after using it in combat operations during Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991), had to sell it. Now over 20 years later, my fiance' found and purchased one for me for Christmas! The serial number is 048180, non-sawtooth blade, non-military belt clip sheath, type 12 Swedish compass, Yellow or gold "Gerber" rectangular logo with the "Legendary Blades", "Made In U.S.A ", sword, stone, and stitching in white thread. The sheath has the sharpening stone attached to bottom back half with the black snap cover over it. This entire system, knife, sheath, compass, and stone are complete and in EXCELLENT condition, really, it all looks BRAND NEW, I even have the original box! Please let me know if you would like any pictures and where to send them!
    Last edited by Doc Holiday; 12-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Hello! Just registered on the site after seeing this thread about the BMF. I was doing some research on replacement sheaths for one of my BMFs. The original Gerber sheath is causing the knife to rust?? This is even after i've washed it multiple times & let it dry out completely for several days. The sheath was bought used (with no knife) & looks like a knife was left to rust inside the sheath before i bought it....sheath has rust stains inside it.

Nighteyes, i may be able to help you on your quest for BMF info as i have several myself. I have several pictures but, none that have the s/n showing. I can take some more in the next few days & send them your way if that helps you. Let me know. On another note, i have every version of BMF you show except for the smaller saw tooth in the middle. With that said, i would be VERY interested if you have one of those you would like to sell. It doesn't have to be a perfect 10 either. Thanks for the good info & like i said, let me know if i can help. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Snackpak1 View Post
    Hello! Just registered on the site after seeing this thread about the BMF. I was doing some research on replacement sheaths for one of my BMFs. The original Gerber sheath is causing the knife to rust?? This is even after i've washed it multiple times & let it dry out completely for several days. The sheath was bought used (with no knife) & looks like a knife was left to rust inside the sheath before i bought it....sheath has rust stains inside it.

Nighteyes, i may be able to help you on your quest for BMF info as i have several myself. I have several pictures but, none that have the s/n showing. I can take some more in the next few days & send them your way if that helps you. Let me know. On another note, i have every version of BMF you show except for the smaller saw tooth in the middle. With that said, i would be VERY interested if you have one of those you would like to sell. It doesn't have to be a perfect 10 either. Thanks for the good info & like i said, let me know if i can help. Rob
    Snackpak1 (Rob),

Three topics:

First, on the issue of the original sheath causing the knife to rust, etc, I have noted that as well, as have several people with whom I have corresponded. In fact, I have two recently-acquired BMFs and an original LMF that have demonstrated this phenomenon to me, personally. The only way to prevent further problems, I have found, is to (1) keep the blades amply oiled, (2) rub them down periodically with a cloth to remove the "leftover" rust and used-up oil, then reapply new oil, and (3) never put the blades back into their original sheaths. This truly sux, but so far its the only way to make the best of a bad situation.

Second, I am always interested in adding knives to my database. Serial Numbers, of course, are vital. When you're ready to send pics, just send me a Private Message (PM). Include your email address and I'll send you mine.

Third, the only BMF you don't have is by far the "rarest" of them all. I only have one, and I ain't lettin' go of it for love nor money! [That's an old Deep-South phrase. Heh-heh-heh!]

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
    Hello all, I found this forum while reserching information on the Gerber BMF, I had one that I purchased while in the USMC, and after using it in combat operations during Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991), had to sell it. Now over 20 years later, my fiance' found and purchased one for me for Christmas! The serial number is 048180, non-sawtooth blade, non-military belt clip sheath, type 12 Swedish compass, Yellow or gold "Gerber" rectangular logo with the "Legendary Blades", "Made In U.S.A ", sword, stone, and stitching in white thread. The sheath has the sharpening stone attached to bottom back half with the black snap cover over it. This entire system, knife, sheath, compass, and stone are complete and in EXCELLENT condition, really, it all looks BRAND NEW, I even have the original box! Please let me know if you would like any pictures and where to send them!
    Doc Holiday,

Of course I would love to have pics and descriptions of your knife/knives. Since posting email addresses in such a public forum is not a good idea, simply send me a Private Message (PM) containing your email address, and I will respond with mine.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Nighteyes,
    Just joined as I saw this thread on LMFs and BMFs. I have an LMF that I bought back in the late 1980s. It has the saw back and original sheath. I will dig it out and post pics as soon as possible. Good luck on the "quest"!