Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheetmetal roofing

Default sheetmetal roofing

Sheetmetal roofing is handier than a coat pocket. Due to economics I usually use roll roofing, it's cheap and when the wallet is about empty it'll do. If I had our old shingle mill I would mill out shingles from some cedar but alas it was sold to a old engine club. Shakes are a little more challenging due to the lack of good timber so the next best thing is metal roofing. I call it good ole barn tin.

this weekend I started to reroof the trapping shack. The roofing went on pretty good especially due to the nature of the construction, most of it was eyeballed and built from rough cut lumber and poles.

I'm taking advantage of the awesome nice weather and getting some outside projects done.

anyhoo thanks for looking

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

nice looking roof

Great looking work. I sure do see a lot of knives in those traps.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks for the comments fellas.

me to on the knives however if the trap will still pinch a few toes I can't bring myself to cannibalize it.

here's a trapspring knife I made awhile back, it's the one with the big copper rivets.

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

I love a metal roof, up here in the north almost everyone has one. First they are great for shedding those big snow falls as long as you have a good pitch to your roof, also they are great for rain collection if fresh water is a concern.
    One of the things I like the most about them is the southing sound when the rain falls.

On a side note randyt, if you haven't been to the thread I did on axe handles you might want to head there for your next replacement handle for that axe in the knife picture.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l-Bunyan-proud
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

I like useing the metal roofing as well......shed additions are steel.
    Do it once and for get it......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Love the trapper cabin randyt!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Ole Randy doin work! Nice roof man!

Thanks for the comments. I'm always building or working on something or another.

My first tin roof was given to me by a neighbour. There was a old house on his property and all I had was roll roofing on my cabin. So I went to see if he would sell me the tin from that old house, bless his heart he gave it to me. He didn't want me to take anything but the tin. That was a lot nicer than roll roofing.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In my area corrogated metal has goten so expensive you can not afford it! The price has trippled in the past 3-4 years.

I love the stuff too. Last house I built I put tin on the front and back porches just so I could hear the rain fall on it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm with you guys on the rain. I've always loved the sound of it. Not so my youngest grand son. He got a lesson first hand of rain on a metal roof. He's five and crawled up next to me.

"Does that sound annoy you," he asked.
    "Actually, I enjoy listening to it."
    "It annoys me. Couldn't they use soft rain?"
    "Hmmm. I'll talk to someone about that for you."
    "Thank you. Soon?"

Great job on the roof!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have been eyeballing some old chicken house damaged by hurricane "Hugo" I need some metal roofing and Kyrat is right, it is durn expensive!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Tin roofs are expensive but I wonder if a cost analysis was done compared to other roofing how tin would actually fare cost wise. I've used tin that had been installed on a few different roofs and it just keeps getting recycled over and over. Yup I'm a unrepentant scrounger among other things LOL. The tin used on the shed was new though, I believe it was $2.29 a linear foot. It's unpainted galvanized roofing.

I'll bet that YCC might have some info regarding metal vs other types of roofing material.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That would be nice if YCC chimed in. Although I hope he doesn't look close at my tin job, it's not near what a pro would have done. It's a barn yard job so to speak.

First off got to give you a thumbs up on the cabin, the roof ,the knives and the traps. Love it. Metal roofing is both easy and expensive unless you can find some that is reusable. As we now raise three different pure breeds of chickens I recently found myself in need of some new chicken houses. I was lucky enough to find a couple a few miles from here that had a hundred pieces of corrugated tin laying around that they wanted to sell. Ran from 8ft to 12 ft long and 29" wide. Anyway I got it all plus several shorts for a bit over $200. Compare that to about $14.50 for an 8ft sheet at either Lowe's or HD and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. A little time spent with the caulk gun ( to fill the odd hole), some good primmer and paint has turned that pile of tin into two pretty good looking coops.Oh yeah. I also bought a stack of lumber from them. 2x4 and 2x6's 8 to 14ft real cheap so saved big money on the coops. Pays to look around a bit. BTW Around here the cost difference between corrugated roofing and shingles is about $20 dollars a square(shingles cheaper) not counting sheeting and felt under the shingles.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Well, I have change out the roll roofing on the Blue Room twice in 20 years, and the original steel roofing on the Tajhma shed lean-to's are still there......I thinking after two re-roofs you pretty much break even.
    Blue room is a "A" frame camper, that I set up permanently as a guest room back when, now a shed..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Did you put your screws in the valleys? Wont they leak like that?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

for years we would nail in the ridges then they came out with rubber washer screws and screwed through the ridges. Then I noticed all the roofers were fastening through the flats. Haven't seen a problem probably due to the rubber washer. things are always changing.

I think YCC said in another thread the rubber washer will rot and cause a leak. YCC?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.