Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best homemade musquito repellent

If you are going to cut and paste stuff that's fine but please post the source. We don't need Chris to receive a flame mail from some flounder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you are going to cut and paste stuff that's fine but please post the source. We don't need Chris to receive a flame mail from some flounder.
    I'm so sorry Rick, I dont know what to say! And I really hope that we are not all attacked by flounders because those things are scary! I fear flounders more than a cauldera eruption, or even zombies

No, but copyright infringement is a serious matter. No need to get Chris in a jam for nothing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And on that note:

~ A Buckskin Man's Pocket ~

Excerpt from the "Book of Camp-Lore & Woodcraft"
    By Dan Beard
    Chapter IX, 1920

"In the black fly belt it is wise to add a bottle of fly dope (Fig. 251) to one's personal equipment. If you make your own
    fly dope have a slow fire and allow to simmer over it

3 oz. pine tar
    2 oz. castor oil
    1 oz. pennyroyal

or heat 3 oz. of pine tar with two oz. of olive oil and then stir in 1 oz. of pennyroyal, 1 oz. of citronella, 1 oz. of
    creosote and 1 oz. of camphor.

If you propose traveling where there are black flies and mosquitoes, let your mother sew onto a pair of old kid
    gloves some chintz or calico sleeves that will reach from your wrists to above your elbow (Fig. 246), cut the tips of
    the fingers off the gloves so that you may be able to use your hands handily, and have an elastic in the top of the
    sleeve to hold them onto your arm. Rigged thus, the black flies and mosquitoes can only bite the ends of your
    fingers, and, sad to say, they will soon find where the ends of the fingers are located."

Linky
    , maybe I should credit Daniel?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Cool site, thanks for posting.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    And on that note:

~ A Buckskin Man's Pocket ~

Excerpt from the "Book of Camp-Lore & Woodcraft"
    By Dan Beard
    Chapter IX, 1920

"In the black fly belt it is wise to add a bottle of fly dope (Fig. 251) to one's personal equipment. If you make your own
    fly dope have a slow fire and allow to simmer over it

3 oz. pine tar
    2 oz. castor oil
    1 oz. pennyroyal

or heat 3 oz. of pine tar with two oz. of olive oil and then stir in 1 oz. of pennyroyal, 1 oz. of citronella, 1 oz. of
    creosote and 1 oz. of camphor.

If you propose traveling where there are black flies and mosquitoes, let your mother sew onto a pair of old kid
    gloves some chintz or calico sleeves that will reach from your wrists to above your elbow (Fig. 246), cut the tips of
    the fingers off the gloves so that you may be able to use your hands handily, and have an elastic in the top of the
    sleeve to hold them onto your arm. Rigged thus, the black flies and mosquitoes can only bite the ends of your
    fingers, and, sad to say, they will soon find where the ends of the fingers are located."

Linky
    , maybe I should credit Daniel?
    I think with an ounce of alligator armpit oil, that would be the perfect recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I think with an ounce of alligator armpit oil, that would be the perfect recipe

Mother said no, she is not sewing my arm back on.

Don't know about a gland but in an episode of man/ woman/ wild or some such they did mention using gater fat to repel skeeter while in a louisiana bayou. Lived in louisiana half my life and never tried it...Deep woods off was far easier to get. :-)
    D.O.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtyoleman View Post
    Don't know about a gland but in an episode of man/ woman/ wild or some such they did mention using gater fat to repel skeeter while in a louisiana bayou. Lived in louisiana half my life and never tried it...Deep woods off was far easier to get. :-)
    D.O.M.
    See, that Gator armpit oil really does work, and you guys didn't beleive me

I hiked the AT through Massachusettes a few years back, and they had a summer of heavy rain and their bat population was down. The first day on the trail we realized how screwed we were. Only one out of four of us brought bug repelent and it was gone in the first hour. (It was a very small bottle.) Those mosquitoes sounded like humming birds when they landed on on you. I talked to some thu hikers and many were setting personal records for miles in a day just to get through the state and away from the blood suckers. After we were out of the bug repelent I noticed an abundence of hemlock trees. I would grab a handfull of needles and crush them between my hands and rub that on all exposed skin. That would last for about half an hour to an hour depending on how much we would sweat. I asked some other hikers about how long their deet was working for them and they said they were reapplying it about every thirty minutes or so.

So aside from just covering ourselves in mud, the hemlock tree needles seemed to work pretty darn well. Also, Skin-so-soft is a bee attractant. Honey bees will attack if they smell it. My dad raises bees and thats how we found out. Not a fun way to find out either. I don't know if they like the smell and then get pissed at finding out that the large flower they were seeking out is a human or if they don't like it and are then choosing to attack the strange smelling form. Either way bad call if you come acroos a hive or swarm of bees.

Side note: Broad leafed Plaintain crushed or chewed then applied to mosquito bites really helps with the itch and swelling.

Peace
    Last edited by hawkeye7; 04-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.

i've talked to people who aid that vanilla extract worked. i haven't tried it yet. my wife is hoping that it works, though. she hates mosquitoes worse than i do and vanilla's her favorite smell.

i saw somewhere people using a mixture of witch hazel and lemon eucalyptus oil (i guess you can buy on amazon or at some health food stores).

if you're just looking for a natural one, i've heard a LOT of good things about burt's bees herbal insect repellent. you could probably make a version of it yourself as it's main ingredients are Lemongrass Oil 3.2%, Citronella Oil .40%, Rosemary Oil .40% (link)

if you are wanting a DEET alternative that works as well but is safer, then maybe picaridin. sawyer products, cutter, off, and repel all have sprays with picaridin in it now.

avon has another deet alternative called bug guard plus that is really effective. the repellent in it is called IR 3535.

my family just uses off skintastic with deet. we'll probably be trying something else without DEET this spring. we've been out fishing twice in our pond the last couple weeks and noticed the mosquitoes were starting up. maybe we'll buy that burts bees stuff and try to make our own and compare.
    Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
    Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    A mosquito bar may be a good option for sleeping comfort.
    I don't know the era from which it came (possibly Viet Nam or a bit earlier), but I have a military surplus, pup-tent-shaped mosquito net that I have used with great success from the early 1980's thru the present day. In warmer climes I pitch it under a widely-spread tarp so that air can circulate freely. Should the weather turn a bit colder, the tarp walls get pitched much closer to the net (etc.)

Other than for sleeping, moquito-repelling strategies and tactics vary greatly. In July in northern Minnesota, for example, I once encountered a mosquito that figured out how to bite me through a PolarFleece 200 top!!! Talk about "Hunger Games" ... !
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 04-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.

When they pull out an ice auger to get to you it's time to go home.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I guess the folks at offthemark.com don't want people to view their stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It wasn't funny anyway so there offthemark!

Ya try things until its a failure. We used to have bottles around from several different companies - I took Bens, and Skin so soft to Maine and Canada...

There will never be another bottle of Skin so soft in this house again. - It may work in casual conditions around the backyard where someone wants a break in public - but in the woods it is an awful product... the skeeters did not get the memo.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

A old boy and his wife had a little place by us when I was a kid. He used that pennyroyal, pine tar, castor mix. I remember talking to him about it when I was a kid but couldn't remember the ingredients. Intothenew's post jogged my memory. However now that I'm a bit older and hopefully a bit wiser, the chewing tobacco and whisky the old boy consumed may have chased the skeeters away better than his mix.

And I just gave away 20 oz of DDT. dammmit.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    ............... However now that I'm a bit older and hopefully a bit wiser, the chewing tobacco and whisky the old boy consumed may have chased the skeeters away better than his mix.

Garlic, don't forget the garlic.