Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best homemade musquito repellent

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I have skinned out more than my fair share of alligators and the only gland you'll find like that is by the jaw. Its a musk gland.
    Well they call them glands, but they are more like pores. Never the less, you would not see them when you skinned the gator! It's kind of like the way our armpits smell worse than our fore arm when we sweat a lot. The same thing happens to gators! There is something in the pores of their armpits that repel insects. The human nose cannot smell it, only insects!

Since none of us that live in gator country have never heard of this, do you have a source? Is it something you, or somebody you know have tried?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Since no one can smell it I'd like to know which insect spilled the beans. I'll bet it was a skeeter. You can't trust a skeeter for nothin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since none of us that live in gator country have never heard of this, do you have a source? Is it something you, or somebody you know have tried?
    I will send you some, and you can rub it all over you and get out in the woods! Stay away from female gators though

Better than that, just post the video of you collecting it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Better than that, just post the video of you collecting it.
    Only if you help Rick. We'll find you a small female gator to milk!

In the yard, I've had good luck with burning pine cones. I have never tried it, but I've heard that some have had success with Skin-So-Soft.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Rick - I suspect the same camera that shot the "ghosts" was used.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

RX - skin-so-soft is a proven method for the no-see-ums. It doesn't repel them. It drowns them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

skin so soft works good in my experience. The best is a glaze built up from a few days staying out in the bush, those darn skeeters get a bent snout from the glaze. A little bear grease rubbed in helps get the glaze built up.

Quote Originally Posted by WT
    Only if you help Rick.
    Not me, brother. I don't mess with anything that has me on the menu. Besides, it's not my story. If Batch says they have horns and go jogging in purple tennis shoes that's good enough for me.

Now I have also heard that buffalo sweat works pretty good, but they are pretty mean critters in their own right, I got drunk on tequilla and trid to ride a big bull buffalo one time in Oklahoma, and he was dead set on killing me. Needless to say I didn't stay on him long, you cant beleive how high a buffalo can jump!

Or how deep they can pile the bull ......... a shovel. I need a shovel.

I have also heard that badger musk works well if you can find it!

A mixture of 50% Honey Badger urine and 50% Komodo Dragon saliva is supposedly the ultimate mosquito repellent.

Honey_badger.jpg

Young-Komodo-dragon.jpg
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Well after a week in deer camp in warm weather, not much of anything will bite....I suspect that and wood smoke historically was the most used 'repellent"as well as just smearing your self with thick gooey mud.

Spent a week turkey hunting, real primitive conditions....buddy insisted on wearing "foo-foo juice" (our term).....and never dawned on him that he was wearing his full head net, all the time, because of the swarm of bugs around his head.

Morel to this story...leave foo-foo juice at home, and if you decide to go honky tonkin, go to the truck stop for a shower.....LOL.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In Australia termite mounds work smoke them on the fire. In the past i have used mud, never want to spend a night like that again.

That's probably what all the bigfoot pictures are. Just you guys covered in mud.

Yep, bug stainless steel screen is very high on my priority list

Allen
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

Thai lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus) is a natural and effective mosquito repellent. It contains the natural oil, citronella, which is safe and effective; in fact, lemon grass citronella is considered more effective than true citronella as an insect repellent.

You can buy Thai lemon grass at garden centers and supermarkets, and it grows readily into a clump about 15" across and about 2ft tall. To use as a mosquito repellent, break a stalk off from the clump, peel off the outer leaves, until you find the scallion-like stem at the base. Bend the stem between your fingers, loosening it, then rub it vigorously between your palms - it
    will soon become a pulpy, juicy mass. Rub this over all exposed skin, covering thoroughly at least once. You can also make a tincture using alcohol, for spray applications.

Planting marigolds around your yard works as a natural bug repellent because the flowers give off a fragrance bugs and flying insects do not like.
    Plantings around the patio will also help repel mosquitoes.

Neem oil is a natural vegetable oil extracted from the Neem tree in India. The leaves, seeds and seed oil of the Neem tree contain sallanin, a compound which has effective mosquito repelling properties. Neem oil is a natural product and is safe to use.

Lavender Rub a lavender flower behind your ears, wrists and neck.
    Not only will you smell great but mosquitoes will leave you alone.