Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Jerky

Default Fish Jerky

I am looking for a way to cook up a carp so it is half way edible cause I went bow fishing yesterday and loved it even though we didn't get any. Any how I can see me getting really into bow fishing, but I don't really feel very good about killing a carp, then throwing it on the bank and wasting it even though the are an evasive species. So I was thinking about trying to make some carp jerky if I get any this summer. I have heard from everybody I have asked that the would rather eat a car tire than a carp. Well I have had fish jerky before and it is actually better than it sounds, anybody ever made carp or any other fish jerky that might have some tips, advice. or recipes that could be of help?

Here is an article I found on making fish jerky...
    http://meghanfitz.hubpages.com/hub/H...ake-Fish-Jerky
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Garbage fish like invasive carp won't go to waste if you till it into your garden! just a thought.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Garbage fish like invasive carp won't go to waste if you till it into your garden! just a thought.
    Hey, now that's not a bad idea! Thanks for the thought!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Blog Entries

I have to agree with you, Carp tatses like......carp(rearrange the letters) Apparently it's very big in Eastern Europe and the Far East. Maybe Google some recipes from those cuisines?
    Either that, or do as Sarky suggested. Fishmeal is a pretty good fertiliser.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Enough garlic should make it edible.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

my mom used to can it

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Enough garlic should make it edible.
    I'm going to try cooking it up a few different ways and try to find something that might work.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by jake abraham View Post
    my mom used to can it
    My reaction to that was a shiver down my spine lol

How was it? Canned fish doesn't sound all that appealing to me, but I'll try anything once...
    Thomas Paine

Hey sparky, did you ever get a chance to try the carp jerky? My grandpa made it when I was younger, he pressure cooked it. I can't say for sure if it was good or not but I don't remember hating it.
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

Not yet, but hopefully I'll get one this summer after school is out.
    Thomas Paine

I have tried jerky made from white perch. It tasted like fish and smelled like cat food.
    If offered to me again, I would eat it again.
    It's just not as good as venison jerky, which is the best kind. But it is edible.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    I have tried jerky made from white perch. It tasted like fish and smelled like cat food.
    If offered to me again, I would eat it again.
    It's just not as good as venison jerky, which is the best kind. But it is edible.
    That's what I'm going for, edible. It doesn't have to be manna, just good enough it doesn't gag me lol
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    That's what I'm going for, edible. It doesn't have to be manna, just good enough it doesn't gag me lol
    When I was your age that was my attitude toward beer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When I was your age that was my attitude toward beer.
    LMAO, true that....
    Thomas Paine

I have not had it. When I was a kid there was some folks that lived next to my aunt that fished for carp all the time. They would cross score the bones to cut them into small pieces when they cleaned the fish then the bones would cook up when the fish was cooked. Or something like that. Hey, I was a kid. Just look for ways to cross cut the bones. Carp has a lot of bones in them and you have to deal with that in order to save the meat.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well my Dad was from Arkansas and when he was a kid growing up, his family was poorer than dirt and would eat anything. He used to take me fishing for carp, and he and my mother would eat every carp we caught. I refused to eat it because I was a kid and I could do that!
    So, they would cut it up into small peices around 2" x 2" bone and all, then mom would pressure cook the living carp ( rearange letters again ) out of it until even the bones were tender, simular to canned salmon if you have ever had that.
    Then you hold your breath and eat bone and all. ( or use a clothspin on your nose option B ).
    My dad thought it was good stuff, but like I said, I wouldn't touch it!
    But at least with it pressure cooked, you dont have to worry about the bones! To my knowledge, this is the best way to cook carp. I would think that if you added the right spices, it could be givin a good flavor.

Now if you want to eat kidney, you just boil the pizz out of it

I can talk first hand from eating it, not cooking.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That's in Inner Mongolia, and it was pretty good. Soy, green onion, and sesame are the main ingredients. I've had Carp head soup in Inner Mongolia, China, Kazakhstan, and Russia and really enjoyed it every time. It's especially good in Kazakhstan, thin, but starchy. Regular soups in China and Russia are good, the broth that is. The Carp in it I eat, it's just got a gooey texture.

I don't think it would take well to jerky, it just doesn't have enough texture. But dried, and added in soups it would be fine for filler. As Winter mentioned, garlic. Lay on the onion and fine potatoes too.

There is no bad food, only bad cooks.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I think I just threw up a little.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Those are not Brussel Sprouts stage right, what got ya? LOL
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Either the fish head soup or dinner looking back at me.