Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Jerky

The former was only prose, the latter was blind.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Maybe but I'm pretty sure it gave me the stink eye.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sometimes I will buy some dried eel or squid (can't remember which) at the asian food store. It's in the snack section and they have various flavors. I did a search on Asian dried fish recipies and got quite a few with various seasonings. I bet if you get enough seasonings on it then it won't be that bad.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Dried salmon is big up here. Really, if you don't live in town, it's a staple. We can it too. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Dried salmon is big up here. Really, if you don't live in town, it's a staple. We can it too. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I've had some store bought salmon jerky, and it was good stuff but I bet it doesn't compare to the real McCoy! That looks awesome!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

It is. It's very rich with oils. We mostly eat it with crackers and cheese or pilot bread.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Carp are very tasy IF you cut out the mud vein before you cook it. Lay out a filet and you will see a dark stripe down the middle of the filet(its a nerve/blood vein) Remove that strip and the bad taste goes with it. When I was a teanager, I had a dissagreement with a teacher who was a dieheard trout fisherman over whether carp were fit to eat. I caught a 3 or four pound carp, fileted it, removed the mud vein and my mother baked the fish. It was delicious.I took a big chunk in to the teacher and told him it was trout. He gobbled it down and sait it was the best trout he had ever eaten. When I told him it was carp, he would not believe me until my father(who was Principal and In on the deception) verified that it was carp.
    I also can suckers. About this time of the year the suckers run from Lake Superior up small streams and can be caught by the pickup truck load. Scale them, cut off the head and gut them , cut in to chunks and place into pressure canning jars. Add a teaspoon vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint and pressure cook for 20 min at 10# pressure. I often add a tablespoon of barbecue sauce per jar. The combination of vinegar and pressure softens the bones and it comes out like canned salmon!

That dried Salmon Jerky almost looks good enough for me to immigrate up there!
    I think I'll go check amazon instead
    Last edited by jcullen24; 04-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

the salmon jerky is great ive had i a couple of times, if u like salmon i love to get the smoked herring strips !!!

I ate so much Salmon when we were there I was truly sick of it. I didn't know you could fix Salmon so many ways. I never thought I'd ever miss a steak but after I started growing gills I was looking for anything made of beef.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thats funny rick,

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

There is a dark strip in the fillets that ya have to cut out to get the bad taste out.

I don't care for all the bones, but I'm told pressure cookers will make them edible also.

It is pretty far down on my list of fish to eat because of the bones.

If you enjoy bow fishing, and they are in your area you may also want to try for some Gar fish. Again not my favorite fish to eat however. Some of the "alligator gar" get pretty big. I have seen several that were easy 5 feet. And nice scary sharp teeth. :-) (Note: Gar Fish or alligator gar are the names I know em by, no idea if that is their real / exact name)

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Belone belone. Didn't help did it? Garfish is correct but I also know them by the terms you used. Vicious little predators, too.

There are 3 species of gar I know of, alligator, longnose, and spotted. I saw some little ones when we canoed down the blue river a few years ago. While I'm bow fishing if I see a fish I'm going to try and stick him, I'd love to stick a big gar. I bet they put up a good fight!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

As to the mud vein, I know what they look like (same procedure for catfish) but I didn't know carp had them too. Thanks for the tip!
    Thomas Paine

Did you know the mud vein is not a vein at all but an organ? 'Tis true. It's called the lateral line and fish use it to detect movement and vibrations around them. All fish have them. They are just in different locations on different specie. Most are either on the side of the fish or along the top portion adjacent to the dorsal fin. The line is composed of nueromasts, not muscle, that's why it tastes different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Did you know the mud vein is not a vein at all but an organ? 'Tis true. It's called the lateral line and fish use it to detect movement and vibrations around them. All fish have them. They are just in different locations on different specie. Most are either on the side of the fish or along the top portion adjacent to the dorsal fin. The line is composed of nueromasts, not muscle, that's why it tastes different.
    Interesting factoid old chap...
    Thomas Paine

Well thank yo...hey! who you callin' old?!

I'm sorry, you must of cast your voice. I thought crazy old Joe sitting in the corner said that...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Thomas Paine

You know Old Joe is a member, right? He don't take kindly to being called crazy. Kinda makes him crazy.