Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Kit: Buying vs. Making.

Blog Entries

Cool Survival Kit: Buying vs. Making.

Since the new thread opened up on survival kits I must admit that I've always heard good things about Doug Ritter's survival kits. Then when his web page was posted I did some research. Here's my conclusion:

First, the airplane survival kit was great...until I hit the price! Over $2400 is way outta the ballpark for me, and I know that I could put something together for a lot less.

Second, his folder/survival knife was also overpriced. Now, focusing on the two personal size kits.

Third, the compass is a P.O.S.! Some reviewers on Amazon claim it didn't even work when they got the kit!

Fourth, Doug packs nylon cord in the kit, not 550 cord! I guess this is so he can keep the sizing down.

Fifth, The little knife blade in the low-end kit looks pretty dangerous to me. The little "neck knife" in the bigger kit looks too small to be much good.

Let's face it folks, the idea of survival kits seems to have come from Yuppies with their little "downsizing" ideas! Somebody, somewhere seems to think that it has to fit in a pocket to be a personal SK!

At least 50' of 550 cord is needed, a 55 gallon trash bag or two, a compass with marks no less than two degrees apart, and the rest is up to you. One statement that was given was that it would cost you more to buy these things separately than to buy the kit. Then this question: "How much is your life worth?" Great question! My life is certainly worth more than worrying about the higher cost of better quality items! If you go to a sporting goods store to buy your compass you can check it out there; before you pay for it.
    Anytime I get one of those itty-bitty compasses I check to make sure there's no Cracker Jacks stuck to them. I have three types of "Survival Compasses." A Silva Ranger, A Victorinox Swiss Army brand "card Compass," and a military type Lensatic compass. I also own several books describing how to use either one. My other survival items are also redundant and of high quality. I have 50 & 100 foot lengths of 550 cord stashed everywhere. I have several of the MPI "Sportsman's Blankets" as well. I could go on and on but you get the idea. I will always advocate making your own kit along with taking it out in the field and testing it in the field. Just as important is the knowledge of the outdoors that also needs to be available. It does no one any good at all to have the world's greatest survival kit if they don't know beans about the outdoors.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Let me toss out some ideas for you. I'm a pocket sized survival kind of guy. It's my last ditch item to keep me alive and secure rescue when my pack is gone or inaccessible for whatever reason. No paracord no trashbags and an itty bitty compass.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I don't need a fancy compass w/1 degree on inclination if I don't have a map (it's with the pack) just an idea of which way is north under cloud cover. I have to have fire if it's cold and I have to be able to signal. Beyond that, the rest is convenience to me.

But that's what works for me. If you want or need the other stuff that's fine. Just shows they are as different as the perfect knife or gun.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would agree with you 100%. Good post sir.

LOL. There are 2 posts.Who'd you agree with?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes..........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought so.

We must be psychotic or something....you know....can tell what people are thinking......at least I think so.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm with Rick on this one. If you don't have it on you you don't have it. The Air Force agrees too.

The PSK you have in your pocket is worth more than the big kit that just burned in the plane or is crumpled in the wrecked ATV.

EDC includes more than your CCW weapon. It also covers the emergency items on the key chain or in the pockets. Not all PSKs are in a container or on a chain that one can place in a single pocket.

My keychain looks much like Rick's, only the componants are smaller and I do not have a signil mirror nor sharpening device. I usually have three EDC blades (one on the keychain, one as my money clip and a pocket folder) so I am not worried about a sharpener. Part of my gear is in my wallet and part in my pockets.

These systems build on each other like layers. The EDC/PSK is the primary layer. A larger kit, such as a "get home bag" or "bug out bag", is the another seperate layer that builds on the first.

I have an intermediate layer for when I am just out door and down the road messing around at the lake, that fits in a fanny pack. That layer does have signil capabilities in case I get hurt and need to get some attention. It does not have a surgical med kit or a 300 foot roll of 550 cord. It does not need either, I am barely out of sight of the house and a car drives by every hour or two.

An all day hike would have another need and a cross country trip its own set of requirements, but it all builds off that small PSK.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I agree with both I am still trying things out for my kits

Blog Entries

Cool Awww...it's sooo cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Let me toss out some ideas for you. I'm a pocket sized survival kind of guy. It's my last ditch item to keep me alive and secure rescue when my pack is gone or inaccessible for whatever reason. No paracord no trashbags and an itty bitty compass.

I don't need a fancy compass w/1 degree on inclination if I don't have a map (it's with the pack) just an idea of which way is north under cloud cover. I have to have fire if it's cold and I have to be able to signal. Beyond that, the rest is convenience to me.

But that's what works for me. If you want or need the other stuff that's fine. Just shows they are as different as the perfect knife or gun.
    Yes, Rick, you're right of course. And that was my point. Making your own kit "tailors" it for you! Yours kinda reminds me of this One: http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/kit-popup2.htm

Or this one: http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/kit-popup8.htm

Anyway, My Silva Ranger compass rides on my belt in a nice BSA Compass case. My SAK also has it's own belt pouch too. You can lose a PSK out of a pocket just as easy as anything else, so I have the stuff in different pockets, on my belt, etc.. Also, since I'm a walker, I usually carry a "10 Essentials kit" when I'm out and about, and that includes a topo map of the area that I'm in. I can always find north with my wrist watch, if that's all I need to do. However, given where I live any direction leads to civilization.
    I also have a small kit very similar to the one you show here, Rick. It has a Starflash mirror, Fox 40 whistle, small led light, and that very same knife sharpener; no char cloth at all and folding knife since that's always on my belt. The kit istself is in a small Jansport Daypack that stays with me when I'm driving my bus, but since I'm "city bound" I don't think I'll ever need it. As far as survival whistles go, Safe Zone has a really cool looking one that I'm considering adding to my stuff.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Btw...

While Rick and I may not always agree on every little thing, I highly recommend Safe Zone for survival kit components. I recently purchased the orange "Storm Whistle from him." You can score a nice Suunto compass for a decent price, along with a Magnesium Fire Starter," and 550 cord along with just about anything else you might need, big or small. The "Jet Scream" whistle on his site is now on my list of things to order next, and if you need a starflash mirror the price is right! Okay, gotta go wash my hands from typing all that "gooy goody goody" stuff, but his prices, as well as shipping beat most all of the others!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Lots of good stuff on this thread. I try what I own, and try to have what I own as close as possible. I keep a decent amount of stuff in my trunk. But I also keep my eyes and ears open for better things. If an item seems like it would be worth while, I get and try it out. If I like it, I go with it.

I also think that a kit is never complete, it always evolves as experience and wisdom grows.

As far as my pocket, I always have a blade, a lighter, my wallet. For day to day, that takes care of me. If I go for a walk or a hike, a grab a small bag in my trunk and I have a good amount of gear that can at least get me home.

nater +1. Or they should evolve. Here's the first version of that kit above.

+1 on ky, too. Good post.

Didn't disagree, Sarge just pointing that everyone is different. If a premade kit works for you... great. If you prefer to build your own ... great too. After those comparisons I await your apology. I may be forced to use the hong and fire twinkies across your bow.

There is no end of revisions that I make to my kits. At this point my rig is one very large Kit. My EDC is basic one pocket knife, 2 folders 1" and 4", my trusty zippo, a butane torch lighter w/ flashlight built in, mini flint and steel, button compass whistle and magnifying glass, leatherman and mini maglight on belt, fixed blade 6" knife in boot ( customers get all pissy when its on my belt), and x2 72" 550 cord boot laces. The a small bag that attaches to my belt w/ more light, fire, shelter, signaling options. Then a Ful hydration pak for day hikes w/ a larger knife, bigger shelter, more 550 cord, slingshot. Then my pack with anything and every thing else more than I could carry so there is a choice. Oh and whatever I vcan cram in the dogs pack.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

I have bought several of Ritter's pocket survival kits and modified the contents on a few of them. A small folder on one, a Derma Safe knife in another to add cutting options to the included scalpel blade. There was also room for a few pieces of reflective tape and some water purification tabs. I can hang in from a p-cord lanyard around my neck or carry in pocket. I bought these when Amazon had a very low "Subscribe n Save" price on these so I did save $$ by buying these over individual components. I canceled the subscription after that.
    I also have a neck knife setup sorta like the one Pict posted awhile back.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...e-Survival-Kit
    I where that whenever I'm afield.
    These kits will never replace the kits I carry on long hikes, or canoe and camping trips but I like to know I have them stowed here and there.

I have a boot knife too, southard. I like it. It's a CRKT Sting. Good knife and lightweight enough that I forget it's on. You just have to watch that it doesn't wear on the boot from constant rubbing.

Well, when I was replying to Sarge's post Ricks wasn't there. I am not buying a premade kit.

Blog Entries

Cool As previously stated....

As I said in my original post, this thread is not trying to dissuade people from buying a Doug Ritter kit, or any other kit, for that matter. But to show why I personally feel that those "in the know" should build their own; or at least add/change components in a "store-bought" kit for better quality and to fit the needs of the user. I started out with my personal views and if anybody wants to carry one of those "itty-bitty" compasses, go for it! I feel that they're only good for telling direction, which I can do very well without a compass. IMO a compass is designed to be used in conjunction with a map, or for shooting a bearing to certain point. To each their own!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I've got 2 real compasses in my kits but some times a quick bearing check at a glance or if in some these dense NW forests where it can get dark 3-4 hrs before actual sunset and not much direct sunlight. Love those northern hemisphere rain forests. I have a book that has disappeared into the blackhole known as my sleeper (Im pretty sure its an interdimensional gateway to the land of missing keys and single socks) but it deals solely on survival kits and how to build them, good for beginners or just stir the mind. When I find I'll post its title, author and publisher.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

I agree. build your own kit with quality relaible items even if it is one purchase at a time. This way you are assured quality items and can focus on getting the most of your money on each buy.