Thread: Chain Hoist

Default Chain Hoist

I have just purchased a chain hoist for the shed. I just got the 1 ton unit mfg. by Larin. I cannot wait to get it mounted in the ceiling of my shop. I am thinking of welding an I beam in the ceiling with a trolley to give me lateral movement as well. I think this is going to make life alot easier. I bought it because I have a long block 350 sitting in the back of my Datsun I just got running and now it needs to be moved.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

that will be handy. I plan on making a jib crane for my chain hoist. Something that can swing out the door of my barn and then I can snatch something off the back of the truck and swing it into the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    that will be handy. I plan on making a jib crane for my chain hoist. Something that can swing out the door of my barn and then I can snatch something off the back of the truck and swing it into the barn.
    I have fooled around with jib cranes, your gonna have to really anchor that baby!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I had a buddy that had a jib crane inside an old bus. He used it to pick up his motorcycle out of the back door and load it inside the bus. Worked pretty slick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Leverage would definitely work against me with a jig crane. I figured if worse came to worse I could incorporate a fold down leg with a wheel on the end and use it for the heavy stuff.

Randy
    Yeah, anything that multiplies your strength is good. I've got chain blocks, block and tackle, 20 ton and high lift jacks, come alongs, and have used every one of them. I try to buy the heaviest (in tons) equipment available. The pioneers were stuck with block and tackle and levers and still used them a lot. I know we did on our '30's farm.
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

PS Randy
    You might consider tripods which can be movable fairly easily
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

That will be really handy CS, a buddy of mines dad has the most bad arse garage I know of. He has a jib crane in his shop with a 2' or more casing for the leg that is buried at the base 4' down in concrete. Even though he got it level as he could, it still had a spot where it would one to swing to to level out so he mounted a motorcycle disc onto it so he can lock anywhere he wants. He also has 4 anchors in his shop that he can chain a frame down to to straighten it. and is wanting to get a 2 post car lift. He restores old cars and his shop is separated by a wall so he can keep one side dust free and full of cars and the other side is for working on stuff. every wall has 2 or more roll up doors so he can get cars in and out without having to move a bunch of stuff. Someday I'll have a shop as nice as his lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I have a couple tripods made from 2 inch pipe. Work pretty good for some things.