Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Home Stead - North Kakolaki

Default New Home Stead - North Kakolaki

So I figure I'll start a thread now that I have some time. Not too many pictures, haven't gotten the out doors yet been working all week but here's some of the goodness so far. Mind you we moved from San Diego across country towing a pick up truck behind a jeep cherokee. We filled up both vehicles and that means no furniture or any of those "nice" things. Basically living on the very basics that we have access to as we build things up. There will be a lot of things throughout the next few months as we build and get our new place of residence more sustainable.

I have to start off with my dog, my bad:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Forgot to buy a shower curtain, guess what we did instead with the extra one?

My friend and coconspirator smoking a cuban on night number one of living here:

Ooops, accidentally set my hand on fire with a giant USMC lighter:

The important things to build what we need:

Quick view of my room, I mentioned no furniture right?

Guess what my sleeping pad is

My trash can, cheap as hell

General storage of things like ammo, camping gear, cables and anything else that could fit into these

Laundry hamper:

guess the rifles before I build my new gun rack for the room

I'll take some out door pictures tomorrow before we start working on my truck to get it running again so there will be before and after pictures.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nice "Honey Bucket" Mine is blue also. Congratulations.

Looks like a bachelor pad in the making, thanks for sharing.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

today is get my truck working day then I'm gonna try to find some pallets and make some chairs on Sunday or Monday night. I believe next weekend is breaking ground on the garden.

North Kakolaki = N. Carolina. Correct?

Yeah, I'm in the Triad area now. Every time i hear that I keep thinking I'm part of a chinese gang. Gotta get that out of my head. I'll be taking some pictures of the yard in a bit and will upload them. Gotta get the "pre" pictures before we start building everything.

I probably missed it, but why the move?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As to the move I finally got offered a full time job at stupid money in a cheap rent area. So I took it and am very happy after my first week here and with the job. Here's some out door pictures before we start the construction.

First three are the back yard, the next two are the front yard, and the final is the front view of the house.

Looks like a nice area.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Like the DTOM flag hanging in the window.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Brick house is a great thing.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Didn't have my phone on me but Daffy and I went into the little wooded area right next to the house and we found two rabbits, she didn't catch either one of them unfortunately. More importantly I found a very nice broken pine tree and it's full of fat wood. Gonna harvest some of that to put in the fire kit tomorrow probably now that it's getting dark and I don't feel like finding my damn flash light.

Nice. Is the woods just someone's property or is it a park/forest of some type?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This little parcel of "woods" is part of the lot we live on. Across the road there's a bunch of open woods that we're probably going to do some hunting and trapping on in the fall once we've scouted the entire area and have it figured out.

My friend said he found a beaver dam in the creek that runs near where we live so that means come November of next year those little critters are getting trapped and consumed, plus we'll have some pelts to do something with I'm certain.

Also found wild onions already growing in the yard today. Figure by this time next year we really won't need to buy food anymore with the plans we have to do before March so we can get planting and raising rabbits, chickens, bees and fish in my larger aquaponics system I want to build. Think I'm going to go with perch because of the cold weather here in NC so I don't need much of a heater in my tank(s?).

I do believe I'll build a green house around the aquaponics though. That way we can grow certain things throughout the year.

We've seen a marked increase in electrical usage at the house along with a large purchase of hydroponic equipment. Carl, you and Jeff hit the back of the house, Sgt. Gomez and I will go in the front. Steve will take the door. Any questions?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

yeah, 'grow certain things' did sound kind of funny.

Nice starting place. Good luck!

Started "tilling" the garden area today. Two people, one hoe one shovel

I bought some pine boards and got some pallets, I'm gonna set my room up probably tomorrow instead of today because I'm bushed from the work we did today.

Also found a place that has almost everything I need for aquaponics, blade smithing. There's a great forge there that I'm gonna pick up for charcoal instead of propane like I have for my main forge. Once I get the shop area built I'll take some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    yeah, 'grow certain things' did sound kind of funny.

Nice starting place. Good luck!
    Not to mention, aquaponics is close to hydroponic!

Good deal. Love the dog! I'm about an hour southeast of Raleigh.

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

there will be a sign on the road with us selling what we can't consume. So people will more than likely be buying all the excess we create which is a good thing. Fresh food is always better