Thread: Daughter's First Gun

Default Daughter's First Gun

Okay, it's been a while since I've been here. Been busy with teaching, returning to college, cubscouts, 4H, you name it. Sure have missed y'all. Anyway, my question is this: My 14 yr-old daughter is wanting to start shooting something other than her crossbow. She has taken hunter's ed. What would be y'alls recommendations for a rifle and pistol. Keep in mind that she is basically a full-grown woman at this point and that she will be saving her own money to buy these items, so please keep price in mind.

Thanks!
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Banned
    Blog Entries

This just my opinion.......a.) she does not need a handgun, at least not till she is a very proficient rifleman. b.) NO Scope on the rifle till she has mastered open sights (This should require 2 to 3 years). I would avoid self (auto) loader rifles. If your hunting you only need one shot. My first choice would be a "High" Quality bolt action rifle in .22 Rim fire. The CZ-USA line is my first choice (I own (5) CZ-452's and (1) CZ-453.

If I had a son or daughter I would buy them this firearm because it has a wonderful sight system, and I would cut the stock to the proper LOP for her. She can shoot it for years with no butt plate. and later in life when she is fully grown she can add a butt pad................http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...raining-rifle/

I would buy two extra magazines also.

Welcome back young lady. I like Sourdough's reasoning for his choice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome back. Hard to beat Sourdoughs advice. Would be a great starter
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    This just my opinion.......a.) she does not need a handgun, at least not till she is a very proficient rifleman. b.) NO Scope on the rifle till she has mastered open sights (This should require 2 to 3 years). I would avoid self (auto) loader rifles. If your hunting you only need one shot. My first choice would be a "High" Quality bolt action rifle in .22 Rim fire. The CZ-USA line is my first choice (I own (5) CZ-452's and (1) CZ-453.

If I had a son or daughter I would buy them this firearm because it has a wonderful sight system, and I would cut the stock to the proper LOP for her. She can shoot it for years with no butt plate. and later in life when she is fully grown she can add a butt pad................http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...raining-rifle/

I would buy two extra magazines also.

hes right on here, only addition i have is , iam not sure id go real expensive at first till u see if she is really into shooting? ruger 10/22 or a nice marlin ,savage theres lots of good rifles out there now, At 14 ? handguns would be a while out for her if shes my girl, maybe allow her to play with yours to get a taste of them. good luck on it and thanks for keeping a young one in the sport

SD is right on. You can find some good quality firearms in the used market too. I recently passed up a Remington 597 for $100 at a gun show. Would be perfect for your situation.

Have her save up her money, test fire a few that she is interested in, and let her chose what works for her.

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    hes right on here, only addition i have is , iam not sure id go real expensive at first till u see if she is really into shooting? ruger 10/22 or a nice marlin ,savage theres lots of good rifles out there now, At 14 ? handguns would be a while out for her if shes my girl, maybe allow her to play with yours to get a taste of them. good luck on it and thanks for keeping a young one in the sport
    I have to agree with the "used' offerings out there....as well as the open sight bolt guns in .22......

I don't agree with the "allowing her to PLAY with ANY gun...Serious business.
    If she has taken hunter safety, she know the rules of safe operation,...that should be reinforced.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

An other thought is you buy the firearm, you own the firearm. She makes payments to you at a set monthly payment, and a late fee if late, 2.5% annual interest. This will do two things, teach her about money & allow her to start shooting "Your" firearm till it is paid for.

Love that advice, SD. Teaching her fiscal responsibility is always a priority
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My son is still shooting the bolt action .22 I gave him on his 12th birthday. He is now 34.

He has always been an excellent shot and that rifle is part of the reason why.

I must agree with most of what SD is recommending. The CZ is an expensive rifle but your daughter might just keep this one for a lifetime.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My dad gave me his Anschutz .22 he had when he was a kid on my 12th birthday. Little gun is a tack driver and keeps me in a plentiful supply of squirrel. He sold it to a buddy of his a long time ago. He went back to his buddy to try and buy it back to give to me and his buddy got it out of the gun cabinet, hadn't ever shot it sense dad sold it to him and just gave it to him. I will have that gun till I pass it down to my kids in the future.

So as the others said, a good .22 might be kept for a lifetime and may become a family heirloom.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Great advice, SD, all the way around. Good post!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.