Thread: Woman Lost

Default Woman Lost

What about the woman and her cat lost over 3 weeks and found alive. She only had a bag of pretzels to eat and she lost about 25 lbs. This was in NM. Don't think I would have made it that long. She did have a sleeping bag and a stream close for water.

Yeah, I read the article on her. Really kind of sad considering her situation but I'm glad she made it okay and is back with her cat. I'm thinking the cat, wild garlic, some cattails....no, no, no. That wouldn't be right.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...23b9a480f9615f
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah....um...if I were in that situation, kitty would not have come back!

I wonder if maybe the cat saved her life. People really bond with their pets, and it must have been a morale booster just not being alone. Having a faithful pet return to her side every day might have given her enough hope to hold on as long as she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I wonder if maybe the cat saved her life. People really bond with their pets, and it must have been a morale booster just not being alone. Having a faithful pet return to her side every day might have given her enough hope to hold on as long as she did.
    Well said. I had a faithful dear friend that hiked with me on 4 feet for 10 years. He was 88 pounds in his prime. I thought about extreme desperate lost (broken leg or hip thrown into the mix) scenarios: would it be better to have all those calories and protein, or the moral support?

I seriously think I'd rather have the companionship and moral boost of a faithful friend than the calories.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Never fear, she was well inside the rule of three window.

3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter...+sleeping bag
    3 days without water .....+creek
    3 weeks without food....+ pretzels

Article said she was an experienced backpacker and had "set up camp".

As for the weight loss, personally if I, or most of un here, lost 25 pounds we would be down to only 10 or 15 pounds above our recomended weight! I lost about that much in the first month of my present diet....on purpose.

I loved the comment they had to throw in there about her mental health issues. What is a mental health issue? That could be anything from slight clinical depression to full blown psycho.

It really looks like SHE did exactly what she should have done, other than leaving the trail, and the officials really dropped the ball on the SAR!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Never fear, she was well inside the rule of three window.

3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter...+sleeping bag
    3 days without water .....+creek
    3 weeks without food....+ pretzels

Article said she was an experienced backpacker and had "set up camp".

As for the weight loss, personally if I, or most of un here, lost 25 pounds we would be down to only 10 or 15 pounds above our recomended weight! I lost about that much in the first month of my present diet....on purpose.

I loved the comment they had to throw in there about her mental health issues. What is a mental health issue? That could be anything from slight clinical depression to full blown psycho.

It really looks like SHE did exactly what she should have done, other than leaving the trail, and the officials really dropped the ball on the SAR!
    It seems like anybody that knows how to survive is deemed to have mental health issues these days, so they just had to throw that in for good measure!

You know, it's just possible that's the reason she was out there for so long. She was only a mile off the trail according to the article and had set up camp. Maybe she wasn't intent on being found.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know, it's just possible that's the reason she was out there for so long. She was only a mile off the trail according to the article and had set up camp. Maybe she wasn't intent on being found.
    Thats kinda what I was thinking.......People can be a PITA sometimes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah she was probably practicing her survival skills and was perfectly happy just being out in the wildernes. She just took the cat along in case the foraging didn't go so well!

Having a dog would be awesome for survival trips, tres mon said it best the campionship would be priceless and the dog could be a defender from smaller wildlife and an early indicator of bigger predators, I'm thinking especially those ones that love to creep up from behind and go for the neck. Those very dangerous mountain lions.

I've been thinking of getting a bull mastive myself. those dogs are great , I'm great friends with one in Toronto.
    They're loyal to a tee, great playmates, and used to rip whole limbs off in war combat. Might even dtand a fighting chance against the Cougers, what do you guys think?

Eat the MRE (cat) get a soccer ball lol
    Now if it was a dog that might be different, at least until I got real hungry.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

The cats most probably ended up hunting food for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Eat the MRE (cat) get a soccer ball lol
    Now if it was a dog that might be different, at least until I got real hungry.....
    Exactly! That is why I said kitty wouldn't survive earlier. A dog has useful attributes where as a cat only has a calorie attribute.

Nice to know that the woman, with all her history of mental illness, didn't share that POV.