Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low Miles Classic Truck I will probably buy tomorrow!

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I decided to make some "char cloth" so put my cookie tin with the small hole in the top on the grill with some cotton cloth in it and lit the stuff coming out the top to know when it was done as the flame died.

I guess that is like wood gasification works sort of.

I have now found that most organic matter will work in these things. I'm wondering if I would get more power / better milage out of using something like coal.

Oh the fun of experiments.

And the joy of driving to town to get supplies and drop the kids off at school. I keep the thing running cause it is gonna keep making fuel, so I'm thinking if I put a generator / welder on the back with some kind of valve I can switch over to the generator when sitting waiting on the kids from school / sports / etc and hook up some sort of RV heater / air conditioner to the cab for comfort.

(looks like summer in alabama is gonna be hot this year.)

With any luck, son will get some advertising and some orders to weld up some of these if the first one lives up to hopes.

XD.

I love old trucks, almost as much as old (mil surplus and Black powder) rifles.

I haven't been around much. I have been working hard though. The ole' truck has proved to be a challenge. Here is what I have done thus far. I changed out the mufflers, the collector gaskets and the header gaskets. Eliminated a pile of vacuum lines and have been tuning the carb and timing. Holley carbs can be diificult at times. Everything is going well though. The worst thing I have run into is this durn Purolator filter. I took this picture to remind me never to buy another one. It had 2 threads over an 1/8" and had been installed by an air wrench durn near cross threaded. The AC Delco that went in it's place had 1/2" of threads. I have never had to remove an oil filter this way. I have changed mine and my families oil for over 20 yrs. I had to remove the header to get at it with with a hammer and and a peice of 3/4" square tubing before she gave up!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 03-27-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I had one of those stupid things years ago that I finally drove a large screwdriver through so I could get both hands on it. I've never used one of their filters since. I don't know what makes them so dang hard to get off. Not to mention the mess you wind up with because you drove holes in the filter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I had one of those stupid things years ago that I finally drove a large screwdriver through so I could get both hands on it. I've never used one of their filters since. I don't know what makes them so dang hard to get off. Not to mention the mess you wind up with because you drove holes in the filter.
    The 3/4 square tubing came after my craftsman screwdriver bent in half. Yep, warranty on the screwdriver!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

That is too funny! I had a fram do that once. I shoved a screwdriver through it and that was that. I couldn't imagine that it would bend the screwdriver. Was it a pretty thin one?

Those filtesr can be a real PITA....Just the other day i was sitting at the oil change place....and the coffee had been perking for over a hour!...looked like mud, so had to have the girl make me a new pot, and send out for more donuts...but before she got back they were done.........What a PITA!

Funny as in the past, used to crawl around under the vehicles, with a couple of screw drivers, a adjustable wrench....and a hammer and build race cars.......Now I have a garage full of tools, jacks, compressors, etc, etc.....and.... It's off to the oil change place I go....Whats up with that?

BTW the tractor has to be screw-driver ed off......NFW a wrench fits on it.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Update....I sunk it in the mud hole down from the house. I mean literally sunk it, or maybe even submarined it. Water in the cab. Took 3 trucks and 150 ft. of strap to get it out. So, I have been drying it out for a week. I got water in the oil. I am on my fourth oil change in a week getting it all out. Well, yesterday I cranked her up and the fan waved at me a few times, waterpump. I got a new one to put on this evening. Pretty sure I'll be building a motor for it soon. I have my first 350 I ever built on a stand, so no need to shut this one down, I'll build it. I will be researching building an old school 350 that will like our new gas blends. I have never had water get in the oil from sinking a truck in the mud, I am still not sure how that happened.

Step 1 before you go mudding (as told to me by a veteran mudder) get a can of silicone spray and spray everything lol
    Step 2 always have a snatch-em-strap, and never hook a snatch-em-strap onto the ball on a hitch. It will come flying out of the hitch and cut through the cab lodging itself into the seat (he knows from experiencing...)
    Step 3 (this is my addition) Never believe a buddy when he says he was just "turning around" off the highway and got stuck, and take a 2 wheel drive to get him out thinking you can stay on the road. By the end of the day you will have one truck with a blown tranny and one with a blown motor.... (he was actually about 300 yards off the road out in the mine... Had to call a buddy with a 4 wheel drive...)
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Step 1 before you go mudding (as told to me by a veteran mudder) get a can of silicone spray and spray everything lol
    Step 2 always have a snatch-em-strap, and never hook a snatch-em-strap onto the ball on a hitch. It will come flying out of the hitch and cut through the cab lodging itself into the seat (he knows from experiencing...)
    Step 3 (this is my addition) Never believe a buddy when he says he was just "turning around" off the highway and got stuck, and take a 2 wheel drive to get him out thinking you can stay on the road. By the end of the day you will have one truck with a blown tranny and one with a blown motor.... (he was actually about 300 yards off the road out in the mine... Had to call a buddy with a 4 wheel drive...)
    It never cut off except when I cut it off to go home and get another truck and some straps. Lol! I got the water pump off tonight. Decided to grill some burgers and relax instead of putting the new one on, besides I want to paint it first.. It is no hurry since I have a daily driver. The durn thing cranked underwater.....blub ...blub.. Surprised me. But, still I can't fathom how water got in the oil, but after 4 changes I know it doesn't take much water to turn the oil gray.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    It never cut off except when I cut it off to go home and get another truck and some straps. Lol! I got the water pump off tonight. Decided to grill some burgers and relax instead of putting the new one on, besides I want to paint it first.. It is no hurry since I have a daily driver. The durn thing cranked underwater.....blub ...blub.. Surprised me. But, still I can't fathom how water got in the oil, but after 4 changes I know it doesn't take much water to turn the oil gray.
    Do you got any gaskets leaking any oil? I would not of thought it would be that hard to get it out.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

SeaFoam will help with the water issue. Any automotive supplier should have it.

Linky
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Buring up a truck is like giving blood to the steel in your knife.

Now it is truly yours.

XD

Speed and mud, how fast and deep do you wanna go....LOL
    What no spare.../
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    SeaFoam will help with the water issue. Any automotive supplier should have it.

Linky
    I did put a can of sea foam with 5 qts of oil in the 3rd oil change. The fourth is still in the motor so no info as to how well it worked or didn't work yet.

Should'a bought a Ford, the don't get stuck.....XD
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Should'a bought a Ford, the don't get stuck.....XD
    Been driving a chevy all of my life. I have built 6 motors one of which I still have it outlasted 3 vehicles in my youth, the one I mentioned earlier that is on the stand. Built it when I was 15. I've won mud bogs and even sled pulls with my chevy builds. I'd be glad to test your theory if ya wanna meet half way between here and Purdue, we can put it to the test. Just funn'in with ya, but I would do it! I will need to buy some cam2 gas as it is 10:1 compression.

I was a Chevy man till right around June of 2009. I still own one, but will never buy one again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cheby? Nyet! I don't dribe no cheby. You vant good truck. Drive KAMAZ.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Been driving a chevy all of my life. I have built 6 motors one of which I still have it outlasted 3 vehicles in my youth, the one I mentioned earlier that is on the stand. Built it when I was 15. I've won mud bogs and even sled pulls with my chevy builds. I'd be glad to test your theory if ya wanna meet half way between here and Purdue, we can put it to the test. Just funn'in with ya, but I would do it! I will need to buy some cam2 gas as it is 10:1 compression.
    That's funny. I've been driving a Ford all my life and I never had the need to build a motor!

LMAO! If I get the truck I'm planning on trying to get this summer I'll take you up on that offer lol I am a die hard Ford guy, but I do like some of the older chevy's. My buddy just bought a truck similar to yours for a beater truck, but it is slowly turning into his baby instead of beater lol
    Thomas Paine