Thread: Nebie here, forgive me if this has been posted before.

Default Nebie here, forgive me if this has been posted before.

I am happy to be a member now. I have heard that grass is bad and that grass is good, to eat. I live in Winder, Georgia. Does anyone have information where I can go in order to see what I can eat as far as grass/weeds/flowers, etc here in georgia?

I saw one site that said I can pretty much eat any grass that is under 6 inches.

Look forward to y'alls input!!

Identification is key. You mentioned grass, weeds, and flowers and anything under 6 inches. You wouldn't want to eat some poison ivy even if it's under 6 inches. There's various websites and books that deal with wild ediple plants. http://www.wildcrafting.net/forage/ is part of this forum and I like Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America.

If you'd like some more hands on approach and someone to help you, UGA isn't but what, 30 minutes from Winder? You check them out in their Botony degrees or at the Botanical Gardens and see then in person. I know right now they are growing some collard and mustard greens in the gardens.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Welcome home. What he said. Identification is key.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Yeah, eat grass; 10 million cows can't be wrong! My dog eats grass when she's constipated! Or smoke grass, 2 million dead Hippies can't be wrong, right man? Anyway, most grasses are safe to eat, even the largest which is Maize, or corn!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It's the some that aren't that will get you. Arrow Grass, Sudan Grass, Sorgums, Black Nightshade, Horse Nettle, and the list goes on. All contain toxins not matter how tall they are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Most of your state and some of your local parks will have a person on staff called a Naturalist. Many of these folks specialize in what is eatable and what will kill you when eaten. There is a surprising amount of interest in this knowledge even among non-survival oriented folk.

Around this time of year they start having "walking tours" of their parks where they take a group along the trail and show you what you can eat and what you can not eat. Usually these activities are free and occcur on a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon. In this day of computers most parks have a website with these tours announced and scheduled.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1776 View Post
    I am happy to be a member now. I have heard that grass is bad and that grass is good, to eat. I live in Winder, Georgia. Does anyone have information where I can go in order to see what I can eat as far as grass/weeds/flowers, etc here in georgia?

I saw one site that said I can pretty much eat any grass that is under 6 inches.

Look forward to y'alls input!!
    By now you may have guessed that taking a general statement, "grass under 6" is safe is a dangerous generalization.

Any wild foods need to be researched and identified before consuming.....or you may become sick or even die from it.

All suggestions of learning methods of what is or is not a food source need to be explored.... particularly in your local area.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

All true grasses are safe, but you're better off chewing them up, sucking out the juices and spiting out the fiber. Your body can't digest that part anyway.

In addition to what everyone else has said, there's another consideration: what's on the grasses--pesticides, animal urine, carbon monoxide (if it's close to the road), etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    In addition to what everyone else has said, there's another consideration: what's on the grasses--pesticides, animal urine, carbon monoxide (if it's close to the road), etc, etc.
    Good input- I always forget about that aspect.

And the other part is there is a huge difference between edible and palatable. Many of the grasses are lackluster at best.

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

I hadn't thought very much about grass, I often wonder why my horses leave some types of grass alone and work other grass right to the stub, I wonder if what ever is safe for them might also be safe for me. Granted they need it more than I and considering they only sleep four hours a night, most of it standing, the competition for the grass would be steep.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

if i recall correctly about humans eating grass, is that our body cannot proccess that much cellulose, need to be set up as a gut fermenter, like my horse, they are hind gut fermenters a 2 chambered stomche, cattle and moose and such are ruminents or 4 chambered stomache.
    been a while since i read about this tho
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    if i recall correctly about humans eating grass, is that our body cannot proccess that much cellulose, need to be set up as a gut fermenter, like my horse, they are hind gut fermenters a 2 chambered stomche, cattle and moose and such are ruminents or 4 chambered stomache.
    been a while since i read about this tho
    I wonder if you chopped it, then boiled the grass until it cooked down, if it would be more pallitable and digestible. I hope I never have to eat grass, but this would be good to know