Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Bottles?

I just carry a canteen and a canteen cup that works just fine, and I have a small 4" teflon coated aluminum frying pan that will heat 4 ounces of water so fast you cant beleive it because it is so shallow compared to a cup or SS bottle. And it is really handy for cookin portions of tree rat and other little edible critters. So between the little frying pan, and the canteen cup, I cant think of anything else I really need for boiling water. On long trips, I carry a camo plastic bleach bottle to store extra water in if I decide to camp in 1 spot for more than 1 night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    True, but that's not what we're talking about here. You're talking about a "prep," not something you came up with in in a survival situation. I could just as easily do the same thing that you're talking about with a large tin can. And why would you separate camping gear from survival gear in the 1st place? I truly don't understand this. What works good in one situation will just as easily work in the other. My camping gear IS my survival gear as well. I don't have to whittle down gear, just keep what I have.
    I agree with you 100% my camping gear is my survival gear. Maybe I should have clearfied this at the start of the post but I am a newbie for any type of forums, so I will take this as a lesson in, explaining my intended purpose when asking a question. You bring up an interesting point in "why would you separate camping gear from survival gear in the 1st place?" I wouldn't under normal situations. However, I'm looking at putting this survival kit together as something very small and lite to throw into a small day pack when I go fly fishing, hunting, or just for a hike with me kids, its not being put together with the thought that I would be in camp and need it, but rather something to take when I am away from camp or away from any of my other gear. So I need to have this kit small and lite or I know my lazy butt won't carry it. So in all, the point I'm trying to make is that this is something that I would have with me when I don't have any of my regular cmaping gear with me. I hope that makes sence....

You've sort of defined a different parameter. You want something that can be on you all the time. That can be pretty varied. From what has been posted here to something like this...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess I must be the only one that doesn't really have a "water bottle' other than my thermos, canteen (mil style), and plastic bottled water type bottles.

Is the goal to substitute your pan, cup or pot by boiling water in the bottle?.....Or just to carry only the SS or alum bottle?...For a lighter load out?

What is the goal?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Okay....

Quote Originally Posted by jplacquay View Post
    I agree with you 100% my camping gear is my survival gear. Maybe I should have clearfied this at the start of the post but I am a newbie for any type of forums, so I will take this as a lesson in, explaining my intended purpose when asking a question. You bring up an interesting point in "why would you separate camping gear from survival gear in the 1st place?" I wouldn't under normal situations. However, I'm looking at putting this survival kit together as something very small and lite to throw into a small day pack when I go fly fishing, hunting, or just for a hike with me kids, its not being put together with the thought that I would be in camp and need it, but rather something to take when I am away from camp or away from any of my other gear. So I need to have this kit small and lite or I know my lazy butt won't carry it. So in all, the point I'm trying to make is that this is something that I would have with me when I don't have any of my regular cmaping gear with me. I hope that makes sence....
    Ahhh, now I'm beginning to get the big picture. The late Dr. Ron Hood shows how to make both a large and small survival kit. To purify water he used a coffee can that holds about a quart of water. The name of the DVD is "Survival Basics." If you're bound and determined to buy something then the best of luck to you, seriously. However I still like the "Hobo can thing" the best.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I must be the only one that doesn't really have a "water bottle' other than my thermos, canteen (mil style), and plastic bottled water type bottles.

Is the goal to substitute your pan, cup or pot by boiling water in the bottle?.....Or just to carry only the SS or alum bottle?...For a lighter load out?

What is the goal?
    The goal with the bottle is to be able to put things in it until I need it, much like the survival kits that you can buy that come inside a naglene bottle...

Ahhh, now I'm beginning to get the big picture. The late Dr. Ron Hood shows how to make both a large and small survival kit. To purify water he used a coffee can that holds about a quart of water. The name of the DVD is "Survival Basics." If you're bound and determined to buy something then the best of luck to you, seriously. However I still like the "Hobo can thing" the best.
    The hobo can thing is a GREAT idea, but while I was thinking about it, I thought that a bottle would be even better in the sence that I will be able to purify water AND take it with me without it spilling should the need arise to leave an area. I think that the coffee can would just not have a good enough lid for this.

A guyot bottle with a nesting co and a billy can nested over the cup would be pretty cool.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by jplacquay View Post
    The goal with the bottle is to be able to put things in it until I need it, much like the survival kits that you can buy that come inside a naglene bottle...
    So what do you do with the 'stuff" in the bottle when you are using the bottle?.....
    You now have a bottle full of water and a armfull of stuff while walking to the next spot?

I don't like that idea, sounds like a "Buy my product, ain't it cool, you can carry you stuff in the bottle".....bottles, canteens. bladders etc made for liquids....bags pouches, tins, pockets.... made for 'stuff".

Y'all are getting a little carried away with with water bottles.......IMHO.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just buy a SS bottle that has a wide lid. None of the cheap SS bottle manufacturers make wide lid versions. Most double walled ones aren't wide lid. The guyout bottle is the best one out there. The kleen kanteen is the next best. I have a kleen kanteen narrow mouth and boil water in it all the time over the fire.

To the OP, I think your idea is great. Buy a bottle, stuff it full of stuff, and test it out. Report back with pictures on what you think. Make a little stuff sack that holds the bottle. That way, when you use the bottle for water, the other stuff gets stuffed in the sack.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Even, and old soup can, or coffee will work for boiling water for a while.

... And why would you separate camping gear from survival gear in the 1st place? I truly don't understand this. What works good in one situation will just as easily work in the other. My camping gear IS my survival gear as well. I don't have to whittle down gear, just keep what I have.
    I'll second that. If you don't use it, you'll eventually stop carrying it. If you don't use it, you don't know if it'll work as intended when needed and/or whether it's durable enough for use without fail at the critical time of need.

Not to get too far of topic but by way of example... I carry a nite-ize pouch w/ gerber tool, mini maglight, spare batteries, a commercial P38-style can opener/spoon combo, magnesium fire starter, lighter, pen and sharpie marker at all times. When hiking/camping, I carry a fanny pack with both an Army canteen/cup/cook stand (w/ a soup spoon, P38 can opener, chlor-floc water purification pouches, magnesium fire starter, and lighter - all fit within the pouch) as well as a stainless steel water bottle or two (great for making tea, just add tea bag to warm/hot water and go) and more extensive camping/survival gear including a first aid kit, compass, whistle, more chlor-floc, 2 bandannas, survival blanket, 3 contractor garbage bags, some 550 cord, a pill bottle filled w/ hooks, sinkers and sewing bobbins of spiderwire fishing line, folding knife, food/drink aids (bullion cubes, tea bags, crystal light drink mix pouches, and hard candy), and a few other items that I can't recall at the moment. Since this all fits into the fanny pack, I don't leave it behind and I use and replenish as needed everything in there.
    NRA Modern & Muzzleloading Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & Chief Range Safety Officer
    NFAA/USA Archery Intermediate Coach (Level 2)

George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Checkk goodwill and garage sales. Last year I found a set of SS bottles that were single wall. The only thing plastic was the cap that screwed on. Great for boiling. Let it cool, throw on the cap, and you're ready to go without transferring containers.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I have a ton of different stuff I have used over the years to cook n boil n such.

Two favorites are still a metal coffee can with a coat hanger bail and a piece of aluminum foil for a lid, and a $6 grease pot from wally world. I added a bail to it made of a piece of chain, but think I will switch to a wire coat hanger for the bail. It works a lot like those civil war muckets and for $6 is a inexpensive piece of kit.

Add a 1 or 2 liter plastic soda bottle for water and blue enamal cup or a sierra cup and a metal spoon and I'm pretty happy.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I have a Kleen Kanteen 32 once it's a beast. It is hard to fit into a backpack pocket. I should have went with the 16 once because I always carry a water bladder with me.

FWIW I see the original 32oz Guyot bottle is back...