Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival cart

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is it a problem over rough terrain or uphill?
    From what I know of Austrailia, it is pretty flat!

Quote Originally Posted by krazykangaroo View Post
    This is my cart. I have used it for thousands of km. I designed it and had it made by a local metal worker. The hip band is an old army belt with a neoprene sleeve and there is a spare wheel on the back. I can fit in everything I need for bedding and shelter, clothing, food for a couple of months etc. It is well balanced and easy to pull.

Attachment 7507
    Nice lookin cart Krazy! I have seen dual wheel kits for that size tire which might make it slightly better in mud, as long as you have room for them!

It's no different than any other country/continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Australia
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's no different than any other country/continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Australia
    Wow, so I guess they do have a few mountains eh! You know I was looking at crazy's cart, and it dawned on me that some of hand brakes, you know the cable kind, may come in real handy for going down hills. That way the cart could be braked so it wouldn't push you down the hill or just plain ole run over you!

That's a pretty fair idea. With much weight on board that could be a problem just holding it back on a long, slight, downhill grade. Might keep it from pulling you back down the hill, too. Good thinkin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's a pretty fair idea. With much weight on board that could be a problem just holding it back on a long, slight, downhill grade. Might keep it from pulling you back down the hill, too. Good thinkin'.
    Yeah and it would be so easy to do! I was just invisioning being chased down the side of a mountain and being strapped to a 300 pound cart yelling, hoooooooooly chit! Therefore it should be an DOT regulation:yikes"

I've been meaning to put a brake on it ever since I started with it but have never got around to it. It is dangerous when going down steep hills so I really should.
    Not too bad going up hills once you are fit but it makes you appreciate how horses pulling carts feel as you really notice the extra weight even on small inclines. I have travelled everywhere with it but hard pulling on sand though.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykangaroo View Post
    I've been meaning to put a brake on it ever since I started with it but have never got around to it. It is dangerous when going down steep hills so I really should.
    Not too bad going up hills once you are fit but it makes you appreciate how horses pulling carts feel as you really notice the extra weight even on small inclines. I have travelled everywhere with it but hard pulling on sand though.
    I would either get a dual wheel kit, or maybe some wide tires. But yeah, sand will swallow those narrow bicycle tires!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Wow, so I guess they do have a few mountains eh! You know I was looking at crazy's cart, and it dawned on me that some of hand brakes, you know the cable kind, may come in real handy for going down hills. That way the cart could be braked so it wouldn't push you down the hill or just plain ole run over you!
    You guys have obviously forgotten about the famous scene from The Grench That Stole Christmas. You don't need no stinkin' brakes! You just hop onto the cart and ride down!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

With my cart, I haven't really noticed a difference going up hill. If fact, if I walk too slow, it starts pulling me up hill. Maybe I am just really fit.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You know I was looking at crazy's cart, and it dawned on me that some of hand brakes, you know the cable kind, may come in real handy for going down hills. That way the cart could be braked so it wouldn't push you down the hill or just plain ole run over you!
    Since there are two wheels and many different braking situations, perhaps the right brake should be controlled by the right hand, and vice versa. Based purely on personal experience (I built a collapsible Cowboy Action Shooting gun cart on a jogging stroller frame), you definitely want brakes on both wheels. Otherwise you could quickly wind up in a ditch, over a precipice, etc. IIRC, Cabelas has a game trailer with optional dual wheels, and even spoke-shields to keep sticks and etc. from bringing things to a rude and entirely unexpected halt.

For now I'll stick with our two tricked-out mountain bikes and two 2-wheeled cargo trailers.

Well I have a gorilla cart that has 4 wide pneumatic wheels, and a pull handle like a radio flyer wagon. It pulls easily over sand, or mud, and is capable of hauling a 1000 lbs. But with just 100 lbs or so in it, it pulls very easily, and the cart doesn't weigh much at all!
    It would be easy to adapt some handles that would allow you to pull it with your arms at your sides, instead of pulling with one arm hehind you. With 4 wheels, you wouldn't be dealing with any of the weight of the wagon, like you would with a 2 wheeled wagon.
    Now I just need to figure out a breaking system, which I think will be a disc brake set up on the rear axle! The wagon is also narrower that a 2 wheeled cart which would weave around thick tree's better than a wide 2 wheeled cart.

Here's the link! http://www.bing.com/shopping/tricam-...rt&FORM=CMSMEE

Land of a thousand lakes Northern Horseman's Avatar
    The geographical center of British Columbia

I would think brakes would only help on a small incline, even if you had a brake that could lock up completely you can't be sure that on loose dirt or a rocky hill that the cart won't just start sliding down the hill.
    Back in the covered wagon days of settling the west by wagon train, they would set up block and tackle to lower wagons down steep inclines, so I think we could do something similar.
    Nice thing about a cart is the ease to carry an extra two hundred feet of rope with you, then it's just a matter of finding the right spot with a clear strait line down the hill. Then for safety loop around a tree and start to lower the cart slowly down the incline. If your not alone, have someone stay just above the cart to un-snag it if the ground is too uneven.
    Brakes can give you a false sense of security, last thing you want is to be run over by your own cart, better safe than sorry.
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero
    (106 BC - 43 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Horseman View Post
    I would think brakes would only help on a small incline, even if you had a brake that could lock up completely you can't be sure that on loose dirt or a rocky hill that the cart won't just start sliding down the hill.
    Back in the covered wagon days of settling the west by wagon train, they would set up block and tackle to lower wagons down steep inclines, so I think we could do something similar.
    Nice thing about a cart is the ease to carry an extra two hundred feet of rope with you, then it's just a matter of finding the right spot with a clear strait line down the hill. Then for safety loop around a tree and start to lower the cart slowly down the incline. If your not alone, have someone stay just above the cart to un-snag it if the ground is too uneven.
    Brakes can give you a false sense of security, last thing you want is to be run over by your own cart, better safe than sorry.
    Yeah on loose rock or hard dirt, brakes would not do well on a steep grade. But on grass and normal soil they should do OK. Maybe we need reverse thrusters

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default BOB Yak bicycle trailer

I purchased one of these trailers back in 1996 and it's great. It's lightweight and durable, and with a single wheel it tracks on trail without tipping over.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.bobgear.com/yak
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    I purchased one of these trailers back in 1996 and it's great. It's lightweight and durable, and with a single wheel it tracks on trail without tipping over.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.bobgear.com/yak
    Does BOB on that flag stand for Bug Out Bicycle?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bug-Out-Bicycle, I like that!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

They've been around for a while in a lot more dramatic form than that.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/14209...31780957xqKSxP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Does BOB on that flag stand for Bug Out Bicycle?
    It's the guy he stole the trailer from.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some guy named Robert.

His buddies call him Bob.