Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival cart

I thought I'd toss out some ideas that I've run across.

https://www.radicaldesign.nl/

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://209.31.115.95/Chariot-Corsaire-XL.pro

This guy is using the wheels to move a canoe with a pulker mounted on top. Kind of ingenious.

Another from radical design...

China made but gives you some ideas.

A site about bike trailers

http://www.bikeshophub.com/blogs/bike-trailer-blog/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Those are cool Rick, I especially like that rack, er ahhhh cart in the first picture

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Those are cool Rick, I especially like that rack, er ahhhh cart in the first picture
    Yeah but, how does she walk with that thing, I mean swing...I wish I had a swing like that in my backyard!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

You guys will never survive if SHTF or if it even gets hit by a strong fart.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

deleted....
    Last edited by Renatus; 02-10-2015 at 06:33 AM.

I think the cart that the Chineses dude has would be good if it had wide pneumatic wheels and a skid plate. But I think I would just pull it with my hands because I do not like being attached to anything. Plus a wide belt like that would interfere with my scabbord, canteen pouch, and maybe my backpack.

It is all WSF's fault, a trip to Goodwill and I come home with a golf bag cart and I don't even golf. I will be modding it for a fishing buggy. Watch for it!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    It is all WSF's fault, a trip to Goodwill and I come home with a golf bag cart and I don't even golf. I will be modding it for a fishing buggy. Watch for it!
    Used a golf cart w/bag for a garden cart for long handled tools for a while, saw the idea in an old Mother Earth News mag.....worked well.
    Thought about using it one for a turkey blind transport cart, but blew out the 'rubber tires".....might still pursue it.
    So will be intresting in seeing a 'fishing cart'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

How fast were you going when that tire blew? (snort. I slay myself)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How fast were you going when that tire blew? (snort. I slay myself)
    4 holes an hour....actually it was weight......LOl

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That wheeled rototiller with the pull behind cart is what is doing the lions share of agricultural work in most 3rd world nations. Much like the farm wagon pulled by mules of years gone by, they are used for both work and transportation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've posted before about this but a reminder might be good in this thread. I've spent a lot of time going over photographs of refugees from different parts of the world, different conflicts and storms as well as different periods in time. One thing that is common to all is that they start out with a lot of gear and wind up with nothing but the clothes on their backs. A large number started out with rather large carts or wagons loaded to overflowing. Somewhere along the way everything, including the wagon, gets discarded. I truly believe, based on what I've seen, that you should really only count on what you can carry on your person. All of the other stuff is nice but no one seems to end up with it and I doubt we would fare any better.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That wheeled rototiller with the pull behind cart is what is doing the lions share of agricultural work in most 3rd world nations. Much like the farm wagon pulled by mules of years gone by, they are used for both work and transportation.
    That looks like a two wheeled tractor that is widely used as a tiller plow, and all around tractor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_tractor

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, they come in desil trim too, meaning that one could work a small subsistance farm using any salvaged fuel available, vegatable oil, bear fat or rendered wild hog lard.

Rick, there is an old chineese saying; "A man should be prepared to abandon his baggage at least 7 times in life." The saying is dated to the time when refugees moved in columns a million strong fleeing war and devistation.

In our own history one can find similar situations along the settlement paths. The Oregon trail was littered with iron beds, wood stoves, steamer trunks of clothes and useless gear as people thinned their loads along the pioneer path.

In modern times, when I was on the Appalation Trail 10 years ago we joked that a person did not really need to buy any gear to make the trip. One could pick through the discarded gear at the first half dozen trail shelters and have a compete kit.

Our interstate highway system was designed specifically as a military roadway not to be traveled by civilians in emergerncies to avoid the clogging of roads by refugees as had occurred in Europe during WW1 and WW2. The Germans and Russians actually planned on the littered and clogged roadways to slow the advance of the opposition.

There there are those famous photos of the highway out of N.O. during Katrina.

What a "displaced person" winds up keeping is what is allowed on the first bit of transportation that offers to take his/her to safety. Refugees do not carry their wealth in trucks, carts or packs, they sew it into their clothing.

It is very difficult for Americans to comprehend this because our generation has never experienced/seen it. Even in the Great Depression most refugee families (Arkies and Okies) managed to hang onto the Model T and a couple of pots and pans. Then there were the "hobos" of that era. They traveled from job to job with nothing but their clothes and a bedroll.

The closest thing WE see is video clips of illigal immigrants comming across the border with nothing but a back pack.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KY - You are spot on. The gold fields of AK offer a similar tale. There are still wood stoves sitting where they were discarded back in the day.

You are also correct on the war refugees. It was a part of the German war plan to have refugees block the on rushing enemy if that were to occur, which it did. They used it most effectively, too. Alas, they discovered what it was like when they streamed west out of Berlin to escape the onslaught of the Russians.

It's funny that you said "sewn in their clothes" because I happen to have some diodes that the plan is to do that very thing. They can used to build field radio receivers. They are so small that the only safe place for them is sewn in your clothes. Undetectable, too, one hopes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll stand by my survival sleds, and 28 backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I'll stand by my survival sleds, and 28 backpacks.
    That's because you don't have to flee, nowhere.
    You've flown the coop years ago.

He's got so much stuff all he can do is stand by it.

This is my cart. I have used it for thousands of km. I designed it and had it made by a local metal worker. The hip band is an old army belt with a neoprene sleeve and there is a spare wheel on the back. I can fit in everything I need for bedding and shelter, clothing, food for a couple of months etc. It is well balanced and easy to pull.

cart2.jpg
    Last edited by krazykangaroo; 03-12-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Is it a problem over rough terrain or uphill?